Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cancelled flights -Rights

On Sunday we were due to fly out to Berlin from Manchester. Unfortunately due to the airport crisis on Saturday that was caused by the airport electronic booking system going down it meant a knock effect for the flights. Sadly an hour before our leaving time for the airport we received a.message saying that our flight had been cancelled. We were offered a re-booking option or refund. We checked only to find that the next flight was on Tuesday evening (today) with planned return tomorrow afternoon. We explored all other options but no flights were available to.match put time available. The gutting thing is today is my wife's 50th birthday. We planned our trip 6months in advance. Our hotel in Berlin has accepted a cancellation and offered to ONLY charge 80% of the booking charge, so around £320. The airline has refunded the flight, but we are now.out of pocket, with airport parking (also non-refundable) and more importantly the special occasion of my wife's birthday is ruined. The weather isn't helping either with heavy fall from dawn until present. Our trip involved 4 adults. Our insurance have advised that we are not covered for such an event. EasyJet are saying that the flight was cancelled due to an 'operational decision' and "you've had your refund, buy new flights if you wish." Clearly the time has now passed to celebrate my wife's birthday as planned. To make.it worse the hotel emailed following our cancellation request, to say we still needed to pay £320 towards the total of £400, due to such a late cancellation The issue I have is who / how do I complain or seek compensation. I've filled out a basic form with Easyjet online but this does not even ask for any details, just simply number of passengers travelling. As for the so called welfare claim form, that wouldn't even accept my claim as the email forms for bookings didn't meet the pdf/html format. Thoroughly cheesed off is putting it mildly. My wife said this morning that this was supposed to be a memorable birthday and now it is the worst she has ever had. Sadly she turned down a massive party with friends and family to spend it with me and daughter's abroad. Anybody know what options / rights we have and who to complain to, etc. Thanks for reading my rant. 

Comments

• Quickly scanned through your email and my only question is did you book using a credit card ? 

If so, I'd contact the company to see what your rights are from their standpoint.
  • EasyJet seem to have themselves covered. 
    Try travel insurance for the hotel cost??
  • edited June 2019
    Given that they say that the flight was cancelled due to "an operational decision" and not "extraordinary circumstances" I think they've got less chance of weaselling out of paying you compensation for the short notice cancellation. This might be a useful starting point:
    https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Making-a-claim/Claiming-for-costs-and-compensation/
    and Money Saving Expert has links to template claim letters and an explanation of what the various compensation limits are:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/#cancelrules
  • I'm sure its online, try MoneySavingExpert, but off the top of my head its €600 per cancellation.
  • Depends on the distance of the flight, and how delayed taking an alternative flight makes you. In this case it looks like €250 per cancellation
  • Have used this site on a number of occasions to claim EU compensation for flight cancellations. Very simple and stress free, although I've never tried to get any extra compo for hotels, etc.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/
  • aliwibble said:
    Depends on the distance of the flight, and how delayed taking an alternative flight makes you. In this case it looks like €250 per cancellation
    I had a flight cancelled a couple of years ago (Vienna to London). They couldn't find other flights that night, so put us up in an airport hotel and flew us home the next day.
    Googled my compensation options and ended up going through moneysavingexpert (at no charge) and used one of their letter templates to submit my claim under EU Regulation 261/2004. Think we got €250 each.

I was going to use one of the many online agencies that offer to do this for you. Chose not to though as they take a % cut of your compensation as their fee. Moneysavingexpert doesn't. 
    It was a painless process but I recall it took a couple of months or so. 
  • In regards to the flight element, I think that easyJet will be safe in claiming extraordinary circumstance, meaning they are not liable to pay you compensation. Each case is based on its own merits so worth a try but don’t bank on it.

i know it's no comfort now (and I’ve  said this on other travel and holiday related threads on here) that it’s always a risk booking hotels and flights separately. A package might (might) have cost a bit more but you’d have been fully covered.

• edited June 2019
  • Did you have travel insurance? It probably won't be covered but it's worth investigating just in case there are any loopholes in the wording.

If you're not familiar with insurance wordings I would happily read through your policy for you and let you know if there's any chance of recovery. PM me if you want some help on this. 
  • Sponsored links:

• There's no way I'd be paying that hotel bill. Cancel the card or move all the money out of that account so they can't take anything. Absolutely no way.
  • edited June 2019
    Moneysavingexpert very useful. Credit card payment protection also worth pursuing. Neither is quick fix both will encounter frustrating lengthy wordy guff designed to put you off. Advise sleezyjet you'll slag them off to all the consumer TV shows and put one of those sad sad face 'corporate killjoys ruined my birthday holiday of a lifetime and ripped me off' stories in the daily mail and its ilk
    Have another go with your insurance company there's no way this was one of their Act of God/war/terrorism get out incidents. Your supplier simply chose not to deliver what you'd paid for with all the direct consequences of that decision. 
    Good luck   Do stay patient. None of those parties will just roll over but your rights are undeniable 
  • JaShea99 said:
    There's no way I'd be paying that hotel bill. Cancel the card or move all the money out of that account so they can't take anything. Absolutely no way.
    On what basis? Cancellation terms are pretty clear when you make a booking.
  • My wife's brother and his wife received £700 in compensation this week from British Airways for a flight delay of 7 hours last week coming back from Turkey. That was a delay, as I say, not a cancellation but I would have thought that the latter was more serious than the former. This was BA though and not a Ryan Air type operation.
  • Thanks for all of your comments they are really helpful and i will persevere. It does seem shameful when companies treat customers in this manner. 
  • Try going through Martin's money
    All templates on there for you to fill in
    Did this a couple of years ago got back 880
    From Norwegian 
    Took about 3 weeks realy easy
  • We had a delay last year of 4 hours going to Turin. My mate tried to claim on the BA website but it was always busy and couldn't submit the claim.

He did it via MoneySupermarket and we got our compensation in less than a week. 

We got just over £200 each which was good considering the flight and two days in a hotel only cost us £190 but EU rules are rules. 
  • iaitch said:
    We had a delay last year of 4 hours going to Turin. My mate tried to claim on the BA website but it was always busy and couldn't submit the claim.

He did it via MoneySupermarket and we got our compensation in less than a week. 

We got just over £200 each which was good considering the flight and two days in a hotel only cost us £190 but EU rules are rules. 
    Sadly we were also delayed in January for 12 hours at an airport (Stockholm) however there was no option for compensation as it was due to snow at the airport.

Thanks for the advice. I have now completed a claim through resolver although it does mention some clauses whereby the airline is not liable to pay compo. We shall see. 
  • Coming back from Turkey, the plane didn't make it out, so they took us to a hotel promising food which wasn't forthcoming.  They wanted to fly us next morning to Manchester, then bus back to Gatwick.  I said, sod that for a game of soldiers and hot-footed back to the airport and got on the next flight to Gatwick.  They prevaricated on refund until I posted a link to the CCJ site, and paid in full.
  • Consider contacting the UK's office of the European Consumer Ctr...

https://www.ukecc.net/consumer-topics/air-travel.cfm

They are very good at both explaining the law around air travel compo, etc, assisting with claims where one party is outside the UK i.e. in this case the hotel,  and can liaise if required with the authorities in the other member state.

I make no further Brexit related comment...  
  • Sponsored links:

• I dealt with a shedload of compensation claims under the EU regulations following the Icelandic volcanic eruption that basically shut European airspace for several days a few years back. In general the airlines were pretty good at providing compensation with the notable exception of RyanAir who basically told me to go fuck myself. Not sure we had anyone on Easyjet though so no idea how good they are. Best of luck!
  • JaShea99 said:
    There's no way I'd be paying that hotel bill. Cancel the card or move all the money out of that account so they can't take anything. Absolutely no way.
    My flight was cancelled? So I couldn’t get to the country for the hotel stay. That should be enough.
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    My flight was cancelled? So I couldn’t get to the country for the hotel stay. That should be enough.
    It doesn't matter what the reason is, if you cancel a hotel outside the free cancellation period then the hotel is perfectly entitled to charge the amount stated in the cancellation terms. In may cases this is 100%. It's then up to the individual to try to claim back on insurance if it's possible; it often isn't.

Last minute cancellations and no-shows are an absolute pain for the hotel industry and that's why strict cancellation terms are imposed. Some hotels will negotiate better terms iin certain circumstances but that's entirely goodwill on behalf of the hotel and not a necessity.
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    It doesn't matter what the reason is, if you cancel a hotel outside the free cancellation period then the hotel is perfectly entitled to charge the amount stated in the cancellation terms. In may cases this is 100%. It's then up to the individual to try to claim back on insurance if it's possible; it often isn't.

Last minute cancellations and no-shows are an absolute pain for the hotel industry and that's why strict cancellation terms are imposed. Some hotels will negotiate better terms iin certain circumstances but that's entirely goodwill on behalf of the hotel and not a necessity.
    They may be perfectly entitled to attempt to charge it but I’m just saying there’s no way I’d be paying it.
  • Not 100% sure but i believe that under the Montreal Convention Easyjet are liable for your hotel costs if you can prove them. Maybe worth challenging them on that ? 
  • You gotta flight ...... for your right ......
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

They may be perfectly entitled to attempt to charge it but I’m just saying there’s no way I’d be paying it.
    How would you make them refund you?
  • MrOneLung said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

As it happens I've found out that the hotel has, ad yet not taken a payment. It would appear that Booking.com whom I booked through have somehow got my bank details wrong and so the hotel have emailed requesting payment. What is annoying is that in their correspondence they stayed that I was a no show at the hotel and yet I cancelled through the website giving them about 10 hours notice of intended check in so the room was available for all three of the originally booked nights. I guess I will need to pay up and attempt to claim it from Easyjet. Insurers are adamant they do not cover this. One slight concern is that the EasyJet customer service rep stayed that I 'should get most of this refunded' but could not say as the airline may not be responsible for the cancellation.

As an update I did take wife out for a nice meal last night. Felt a bit bad after the highlight of her 50th birthday was walking our dogs in the pissing rain. We also watched the morning news story reporting how the animals in Berlin zoo were being hosed down due to the heat. Gutted is an understatement.
  • MrOneLung said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

As it happens I've found out that the hotel has, ad yet not taken a payment. It would appear that Booking.com whom I booked through have somehow got my bank details wrong and so the hotel have emailed requesting payment. What is annoying is that in their correspondence they stayed that I was a no show at the hotel and yet I cancelled through the website giving them about 10 hours notice of intended check in so the room was available for all three of the originally booked nights. I guess I will need to pay up and attempt to claim it from Easyjet. Insurers are adamant they do not cover this. One slight concern is that the EasyJet customer service rep stayed that I 'should get most of this refunded' but could not say as the airline may not be responsible for the cancellation.

As an update I did take wife out for a nice meal last night. Felt a bit bad after the highlight of her 50th birthday was walking our dogs in the pissing rain. We also watched the morning news story reporting how the animals in Berlin zoo were being hosed down due to the heat. Gutted is an understatement.
    Don't pay!

This type of thing happens regularly. I get no-shows regularly that I'm unable to charge for various reasons; Russian cards, for example, rarely work on my online system and I consider it a bonus if I do get any cash when this happens. Just ignore the emails from Booking.com and the hotel and it'll probably go away. Booking.com and the hotel should verify your credit/debit card details at the time of booking and if your details are wrong then it's tough. The hotel may report you to Booking.com, I've done this before, but in all honesty I don't know what happens after that, but there are plenty more online agents out there if it comes to that.

If things start to get heated then maybe rethink, but certainly for now I advise you to sit it out.

PS I shouldn't really be telling you this! I should be supporting my hotel-owning colleagues. But you're an Addick so you get priority!