Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aberdeen

Going up there for a few days in July. Anyone got any suggestions, things to do places to see etc.

Comments

• For work I assume?   It's a very dreary place mate.
  • For work I assume?   It's a very dreary place mate.
    agreed, been for work was boring. 
  • Take the train to Broughty Ferry for a day. Nice beach and a castle.
    As Brendan says Aberdeen can be very dreary.
  • Stig said:
    No for pleasure, new flights started from my local airport.  Really looking forward to it now ;)
    Well in that case, take the overnight ferry to Lerwick. Much more fun.
  • You know Pittodrie translates to "Hills of dung"

Sounds like a crackerjack place
  • Outdoor swimming pool Stonehaven, distillery, Dunnattor castle with a nice nearby beach. Train ride to Edinburgh.

Good luck.
  • Stig said:
    No for pleasure, new flights started from my local airport.  Really looking forward to it now ;)
    I assume the only reason Southend have started that route is for business. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If it were me Id hire a car and search on Google for the scenic drives up that way - But some of the highland roads up there are breathtaking and bloody fun!!
  • Take the train to Broughty Ferry for a day. Nice beach and a castle.
    The only nice thing to do in Broughty Ferry is to go to Vissochis the ice cream shop. If you go to Dundee go and see desperate dan statue, go to fishers and donaldsons for a fudge donut. V&A disappointing 
  • kimbo said:
    Take the train to Broughty Ferry for a day. Nice beach and a castle.
    The only nice thing to do in Broughty Ferry is to go to Vissochis the ice cream shop. If you go to Dundee go and see desperate dan statue, go to fishers and donaldsons for a fudge donut. V&A disappointing 
    Agreed, the Italian ice cream shop is a must do. Nice place though, i like it there.
  • Pack a woolly.

It can be cold up there at this time of year.

• Redrobo said:
    Outdoor swimming pool Stonehaven, distillery, Dunnattor castle with a nice nearby beach. Train ride to Edinburgh.

Good luck.
    Outdoor swimming pool high up on the East Coast of Scotland, sounds amazing!
    Seriously, Ms AA would be in there in a flash. Loves outdoor swimming all year round. 
  • Doesn't Wee Poo Pong Mcplop operate up their?  
  • 13C in Aberdeen today. London 26C.
  • Having worked in the oil industry I lived there from 1982-86 and then again from 1995-96. The weather can be tiresome at times, not just in winter. A couple of days of warm weather and then the haar (sea fog) would often roll in for the day and often quite far inland.

I would hire a car and drive up Deeside to places like Ballatar and Braemar. Great scenery. Great golf courses around the area. Not much to do in the city. Looking back I don't know how I managed to live there for 4 years, but it was good to get away from London for a while.
  • edited June 2019
    I used to commute into Dyce Airport in the 80's when working in IT in the Oil Industry.  My wants at that time as a young fella were very basic, booze, a good feed and eye candy and not in any particular order!

My abiding memories of Aberdeen from those times were... winter, granite grey buildings and the bar of the Copthorne Hotel.

Love a Scottish accent on a bird.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to commute into Dyce Airport in the 80's when working in IT in the Oil Industry.  My wants at that time as a young fella were very basic, booze, a good feed and eye candy and not in any particular order!

My abiding memories of Aberdeen from those times were... winter, granite grey buildings and the bar of the Copthorne Hotel.

Love a Scottish on a bird.  
    The Copthorne Hotel, that brings back memories.

On my first trip to Aberdeen, about 1980, I stayed in one of the Skean Dhu hotels in Tullos near our office and shore base at that time. Being on company expenses, I just had to try the carpetbagger steak - fillet steak stuffed with oysters! Cannot remember now if it was any good.

• Duthie park and gardens, St..Machar Cathedral, the pubs and bars of Union Street. Pittodrie and the seafront cafes and restaurants. If you have a car Balmedie beach isn't far and has already been said, a drive out to Braemae and Ballater can be very rewarding. Aberdeen have some European qualifiers coming up in early July....
  • The train station and back to london 
  • 13C in Aberdeen today. London 26C.
    There ya go then!
  • Duthie park and gardens, St..Machar Cathedral, the pubs and bars of Union Street. Pittodrie and the seafront cafes and restaurants. If you have a car Balmedie beach isn't far and has already been said, a drive out to Braemae and Ballater can be very rewarding. Aberdeen have some European qualifiers coming up in early July....
    Let’s hope the snow doesn’t settle!
  • Redrobo said:
    Outdoor swimming pool Stonehaven, distillery, Dunnattor castle with a nice nearby beach. Train ride to Edinburgh.

Good luck.
    Outdoor swimming pool high up on the East Coast of Scotland, sounds amazing!
    Seriously, Ms AA would be in there in a flash. Loves outdoor swimming all year round. 
    Heated to 85%F, 29C to you kids. Midnight swims on a Wed with aqua disco some nights.
  • Brewdog Distillery is there near Ellon. Some good beaches too to watch seals. Slains Castle which is said to be Stoker's inspiration for Dracula.
  • The Inversnecky cafe on the seafront.
  • The Grill bar on Union Street. A legendary male bastion that only got female toilets in recent years!
  • Morning rolls from the bakers - ask for 'rowies.' They're great warmed up with a bit of butter and a cup of tea.