Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21 Euro 2019

Comments

• Laddick01 said:
    To be fair we had the chances to bury France and Romania. Put some of these players around Kane and it’s a different story.
    And a decent manager. 
    Two Semi-Finals (first time in 23-years) not good enough for you then?

Would prefer to go back to the "decent" Managers of Eriksson and Capello?
    Talking about Boothroyd. 

The guy is a joke and the set-up and substitutions today would tell you that. 
  • edited June 2019
    Laddick01 said:
    To be fair we had the chances to bury France and Romania. Put some of these players around Kane and it’s a different story.
    And a decent manager. 
    Two Semi-Finals (first time in 23-years) not good enough for you then?

Would prefer to go back to the "decent" Managers of Eriksson and Capello?
    Talking about Boothroyd. 

The guy is a joke and the set-up and substitutions today would tell you that. 
    Firstly have to question if the clubs have had a word with the FA about how much game time Foden is allowed

Would agree that Abraham should have come on sooner but was unfortunate with one sub seeing that Sessegnon was on for 10-mins before going off injured so was a waste

We absolutely dominated the game against the French, should have been 3-0 up well before half-time and was player not manager error that let them back into that
  • edited June 2019
    A complete mess of a performance, but given the players we could've had out there i won't get too disheartened.

We could've had:

Henderson, TAA, Gomez, Clarke-Salter, Chilwell, Rice, Foden, Maddison, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Rashford.

The future of our football is positive, despite that shambles tonight.
  • Blimey, turn away from that for 15 minutes and it ends up 4-2!

I imagine Pep will be on the phone to politely suggest they don't play Foden in the remaining game
  • Two poor results doesn’t undo all the hard work that Bothroyd has put in with England youth. He might not be the greatest manager but he’s obviously a very good coach. 

A big big reality check for England this summer but it’s better to learn in pony competitions than in the big ones. 

Roll on next summer.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    He’s the most talented youth product England have ever produced. There’s a reason he’s one of the few academy products Pep has ever trusted.
    When he plays at least 20 games a season maybe. He is not even close to what u describe
    ‘Youth product.’ What part of that was hard to understand.

It’ also ‘you’ not ‘u’
    Firstly, and not just directed at 'u' but i am getting pissed off with people pointing out spelling and grammer on here. I sometimes type on mobile so forget. No need to point out peoples mistakes as long as you understand. Some of us have dyslexia or are not great at spelling we do not really have to be constantly told off as adults.
    Secondly he is nowhere close to being "the most  talented youth product England have ever produced"

• Two poor results doesn’t undo all the hard work that Bothroyd has put in with England youth. He might not be the greatest manager but he’s obviously a very good coach. 

A big big reality check for England this summer but it’s better to learn in pony competitions than in the big ones. 

Roll on next summer.
    Any proof of this? 

He's taken the Under-21s backward since he started. 

I imagine Pep will be on the phone to politely suggest they don't play Foden in the remaining game

Laddick01 said:
    He’s the most talented youth product England have ever produced. There’s a reason he’s one of the few academy products Pep has ever trusted.
    When he plays at least 20 games a season maybe. He is not even close to what u describe
    He really aint as great as people suggest. He needs to move or play regularly

Roll on next summer.
    Any proof of this? 

Won the Toulon Tournament in 2018 with the England U21s so copied what others have done with the age group

He also won two games in the 2017 U21 Euros (we'd only won one game at the Euros between 2009 and 2017)

So cant really see where we've gone backwards under him? - We've gone forwards more like under his charge of the U21s compared to what Southgate achieved

Laddick01 said:

He's 19 and changed the game when he came on
  • Sponsored links:

Laddick01 said:

He's 19 and changed the game when he came on
    He is not the most talented youth product is what i am saying. Hes good that is is
  • That is it

Roll on next summer.
    Any proof of this? 

Won the Toulon Tournament in 2018 with the England U21s so copied what others have done with the age group

He also won two games in the 2017 U21 Euros (we'd only won one game at the Euros between 2009 and 2017)

So cant really see where we've gone backwards under him? - We've gone forwards more like under his charge of the U21s compared to what Southgate achieved
    Toulon tournament is overrated, he beat the likes of Qatar and lost the group to Mexico. 

Winning 2-1 against Slovakia and drawing with Sweden is hardly achieving with our squad. 

Maybe it would help the English national side to actually start taking youth development seriously and appoint managers that have a style of play and not just failed football league managers. 

Roll on next summer.
    Any proof of this? 

Toulon tournament is overrated, he beat the likes of Qatar and lost the group to Mexico. 

Winning 2-1 against Slovakia and drawing with Sweden is hardly achieving with our squad. 

Maybe it would help the English national side to actually start taking youth development seriously and appoint managers that have a style of play and not just failed football league managers. 
    Foden will sit at man city and get a few games. But not enough games to help England.

Roll on next summer.
    Any proof of this? 

But Boothroyd is getting better results than Southgate did with the U21s

You said we've gone backwards when I've clearly proved we havent
  • Maddison will play all season and i expect him to make the senior squad. Foden has his work cut out to make the squad is all i am saying.
  • edited June 2019
    Foden is an incredible talent. To play 26 times at the age of only 18 in a City side that is one of English football's all time greatest sides is no mean feat. At most other clubs he'd be a first choice regular for sure,
  • 26 starts?
  • His minutes he played is not great if you look closely. He will not be in England squad for euros is my prediction
  • Unless he starts more games for Man City. We will see
  • Sponsored links:

• Aidy Boothroyd rejects notion that there was anything in his new contract about performance in this tournament, and is defiant: "I'm not going anywhere. They'll have to carry me out."

Because he knows he's not good enough for any managerial job outside of England under 21s. 
  • edited June 2019
    To even be near that City side at his age is a great achievement, but obviously Foden will play more as he gets older.

How many 18 year olds got decent game time last season at Europe's top 10 clubs (if we say the premier league top 4 plus Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, PSG). Him, Sancho and Vinicius Junior are the only ones that spring to mind.

And yes he might not play at the Euro's next summer, but to be honest at his age we shouldn't expect him to.
  • Ross Barkley was touted as the new superstar for England when he was at under 21s. Foden can be a great but im not having all this best England youth player. Lets come back and discuss in 12 months if hes playing for England 
  • Ross Barkley was touted as the new superstar for England when he was at under 21s. Foden can be a great but im not having all this best England youth player. Lets come back and discuss in 12 months if hes playing for England 
    Foden has the most technical ability ever seen in an English player of his age. The kid will be total class.
    The difference in ability between Barkley and Foden is clear to see. I’m not sure how much football you watch, be it English, Spanish or German etc but Foden is quite literally different to anything England have ever produced.

The biggest criticism of English footballers is that they don’t have the ability to receive the ball between the lines and drive at defenders. Even at his best Barkley wasn’t showcasing that. Foden, an 18 year old, has already shown he can do it against not only the best youngsters in the world (some of whom are 3/4/5 years older than him) but teams across all 4 divisions of English football.

I know England have a large percentage of youngsters that fail to live up to their hype, however I would bet a large sum of money that Foden does not end up in that category.
  • edited June 2019
    If Aribo turned his obvious talent into threatening the goal (most of his 10 were tap-ins) he'd be up there.  Never seen him shift the ball wide of the defender and have a dig.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Ross Barkley was touted as the new superstar for England when he was at under 21s. Foden can be a great but im not having all this best England youth player. Lets come back and discuss in 12 months if hes playing for England 
    The difference in ability between Barkley and Foden is clear to see. I’m not sure how much football you watch, be it English, Spanish or German etc but Foden is quite literally different to anything England have ever produced.

The biggest criticism of English footballers is that they don’t have the ability to receive the ball between the lines and drive at defenders. Even at his best Barkley wasn’t showcasing that. Foden, an 18 year old, has already shown he can do it against not only the best youngsters in the world (some of whom are 3/4/5 years older than him) but teams across all 4 divisions of English football.

I know England have a large percentage of youngsters that fail to live up to their hype, however I would bet a large sum of money that Foden does not end up in that category.
    I watch plenty of football. I just disagree that he his the best youth player we have ever produced. And i disagree that hes proven and he can do it against the best in the world. We will see. But as i rate Henderson as one of our best midfielders and Maddison to come in drop Delph and Dier idealy and you have Loftus Cheek to replace. So will Barkley be dropped also? Will Rice be in the squad?  Can Ox get back in the squad.Just think Foden at present is un proven.
  • If Aribo turned his obvious talent into threatening the goal (most of his 10 were tap-ins) he'd be up there.  Never seen him shift the ball wide of the defender and have a dig.
    Were they? - Only tap in I remember was the one at Blackpool when we lost 2-1
  • Laddick01 said:
    Ross Barkley was touted as the new superstar for England when he was at under 21s. Foden can be a great but im not having all this best England youth player. Lets come back and discuss in 12 months if hes playing for England 

I watch plenty of football. I just disagree that he his the best youth player we have ever produced. And i disagree that hes proven and he can do it against the best in the world. We will see. But as i rate Henderson as one of our best midfielders and Maddison to come in drop Delph and Dier idealy and you have Loftus Cheek to replace. So will Barkley be dropped also? Will Rice be in the squad?  Can Ox get back in the squad.Just think Foden at present is un proven.
    Fella you lost all credibility with your Henderson claim. He is not even first choice for Liverpool.
  • If Aribo turned his obvious talent into threatening the goal (most of his 10 were tap-ins) he'd be up there.  Never seen him shift the ball wide of the defender and have a dig.
    As a team we didn’t score many from long range. Looks to me like Bowyer probably asks them not to take hopeful long range shots and instead try and create better chance.