Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**BREAKING NEWS (AGAIN) Lee Bowyer signs new contract**

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    400/6 = 66.66

The article says it is 6 x more than previous salary
    Six times more than he started on as an assistant?
    Which means assistant manager salary of 33k, no way just not right with his numbers again Mr Ratface... 
    his initial salary was as an assistant coach helping out with the midfield, two days a week, so £33k feasible. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    So are people now going to re-buy the season tickets they sent back yesterday?
    Give it a rest 
    Don't under-estimate the potential impact the season-ticket reaction  may have had on Duchatelet's about-turn.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Can somebody paste the newsshopper stuff please, its usually just clickbait
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Off_it said:
    Give it a rest 
    Don't under-estimate the potential impact the season-ticket reaction  may have had on Duchatelet's about-turn.
    Reaction from fans has been stated as the reason for Roland’s about turn in quite a few of the press reports. I’ve heard that he is more sensitive to negative publicity that you might think, and was clearly hoping that the Wembley win might have got supporters on his side. 

But his failure to deal with the Directors’ loans over the last 18 months, his putting up the sale price after promotion, despite promising not to do so, and his attempt to smear Bowyer as greedy, have had the opposite effect. I’m not sure if anyone actually did return their season tickets for a refund, but you can only think that people doing so wouldn’t have helped. 

He knows selling the club before the end of June is key, so let’s hope he’ll help make it happen. 
  • Options
    His comments about his manager and the manager's agent potentially colluding against his interests remain on the record.
    How does he row back from that?
    My guess is he thinks he is right, but I wouldn't underestimate the damage that comment has done.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Give it a rest 
    Reaction from fans has been stated as the reason for Roland’s about turn in quite a few of the press reports. I’ve heard that he is more sensitive to negative publicity that you might think, and was clearly hoping that the Wembley win might have got supporters on his side. 

But his failure to deal with the Directors’ loans over the last 18 months, his putting up the sale price after promotion, despite promising not to do so, and his attempt to smear Bowyer as greedy, have had the opposite effect. I’m not sure if anyone actually did return their season tickets for a refund, but you can only think that people doing so wouldn’t have helped. 

He knows selling the club before the end of June is key, so let’s hope he’ll help make it happen. 
    So we think that after talks between Lee and Shitbag broke down and after issuing that statement that Duchatelet spent the next couple of hours trawling through fans forums looking at the reaction of the fans ? It’s possible one or two of his minions might have had a peek and phoned the boss but cause enough for Roland to do a complete u turn and get on the blower to Bowyer and double his offer.

Not buying it. He changed his mind sure enough but fans reaction over a couple of hours didn’t do it. Would love to know what did.
    Someone told him that the club was worth less without Bowyer would be my best guess.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Redhenry said:
    Oggy Red said:
           Although I admire LB's positivity,  saying we will be better this coming season than we were last season is bollox. Losing Aribo & Bauer & probably not getting either Cullen or Beliek back would surely mean we are going to be weaker. I have to say that I'm not overly worried about next season - we will struggle to he sure, but I reckon we will be 1 of 6 or 7 teams at the bottom & just need to be the 4th worse come May next year. Looking forward to beating Millwall ( Bow's team wont lose against them) and playing the likes of Leeds, WBA, Stoke & Sheff W.......much better than playing the likes of Burton, Fleetwood & Accrington. Just pleased we are out of League 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I’m genuinely sorry that Mr. Duchatelet is feeling vulnerable. Think we need to turn up the heat on the old bastard then. 

We we desperately need to get some stuff into the Belgian media. 
  • Options
    @JamesSeed
    On reflection. This stuff about Duchatelet feeling the heat and being concerned about his public image. I think it’s bollox. Someone trying to keep a low profile and stay out of the media limelight doesn’t publish a statement as barking mad as he did and effectively wave goodbye to the one person in his Charlton team that is universally getting 100% support unless they couldn’t give a shit. 
  • Options
    @JamesSeed
    On reflection. This stuff about Duchatelet feeling the heat and being concerned about his public image. I think it’s bollox. Someone trying to keep a low profile and stay out of the media limelight doesn’t publish a statement as barking mad as he did and effectively wave goodbye to the one person in his Charlton team that is universally getting 100% support unless they couldn’t give a shit. 
    It’s not bollox. It comes from someone who knows him. I’m not saying he’s rational or logical, so I can understand where you’re coming from, and much of what he does doesn’t make sense, but he *is* feeling the pressure from fans.  He’s said so. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Still think he couldn’t really give a shit. Pretty much everything he says or does in relation to Charlton and football shows him up for being a complete loon. 
  • Options
    I think it was a combination of factors that all have their root in the fans' reaction.

I can believe inquiries about cancelling season tickets would have prompted a phone call to Belgium at the very least.  I expect there was also a certain amount of pushback from the PR team given how well Roland's past statements have gone down.  The prospective buyers may well have expressed an opinion on the value of the club without a manager and the fan unrest they would have to repair.  He was clearly aware things were kicking off or he wouldn't have gone on Talksport to try and get his story over.  The bloke might have a complete tin ear to how other people feel but it gets through to him eventually.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Oggy Red said:
           Although I admire LB's positivity,  saying we will be better this coming season than we were last season is bollox. Losing Aribo & Bauer & probably not getting either Cullen or Beliek back would surely mean we are going to be weaker. I have to say that I'm not overly worried about next season - we will struggle to he sure, but I reckon we will be 1 of 6 or 7 teams at the bottom & just need to be the 4th worse come May next year. Looking forward to beating Millwall ( Bow's team wont lose against them) and playing the likes of Leeds, WBA, Stoke & Sheff W.......much better than playing the likes of Burton, Fleetwood & Accrington. Just pleased we are out of League 1.
    Golfie if you're sure we're going to be weaker, can you tell the rest of us what players we will definitely be signing ?
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    I think it was a combination of factors that all have their root in the fans' reaction.

I can believe inquiries about cancelling season tickets would have prompted a phone call to Belgium at the very least.  I expect there was also a certain amount of pushback from the PR team given how well Roland's past statements have gone down.  The prospective buyers may well have expressed an opinion on the value of the club without a manager and the fan unrest they would have to repair.  He was clearly aware things were kicking off or he wouldn't have gone on Talksport to try and get his story over.  The bloke might have a complete tin ear to how other people feel but it gets through to him eventually.
    How many enquires about cancelling season tickets do you think the club received between the statement being published on the OS and Roland going all wobbly and doubling his offer to Bowyer that very evening ? I’m guessing none. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Oggy Red said:

Here you go, Red Henry ...... lifted from the News Hopper site:

"Charlton’s plans for life in the Championship have not been affected by Lee Bowyer contract fiasco according to the manager.

The 42-year-old agreed a one-year extension with The Addicks less than 24hours after a Club statement from owner Roland Duchatelet revealing a deal had failed to be reached.

Bowyer, currently on holiday in France, admitted he was unaware of the released statement before coming to an agreement.

Speaking to TALKsport on Tuesday the former Newcastle Untied, West Ham and Leeds United midfielder turned his focus on the season ahead as he looks to build a squad capable of competing in the Championship.

“I’m delighted,” he said.

“It’s been a long process. I was hoping it would have got settled a lot sooner than it has but the main thing is that we’ve agreed I’ll be in charge next season we can all move on.

“The Championship is going to be difficult, I’m not going to lie.

“We’ve got the players lined up and we’ll bring them in before pre-season.

“Time wise, it’s knocked it back a little bit but it’s not going to effect it.

“I’m going to be straight and honest, it’s going to be difficult.

“We’ll have the lowest budget, there’s no hiding that.

“But I do believe that the team spirit we’ll have, the fans behind us like they came back last season, everything at the club came together again, we’ll carry that on into next season.

“We’ll have momentum.

“We’ll bring in players that will improve us and I think we’ll surprise teams. “We were a good side last season and I think we’ll be a better side next season with the players we’re looking to bring in.

“I’m excited, it’s going to be a big challenge, it’s going to be difficult.

“But I think we’ll be OK.”

News Shopper

READ:

Charlton owner Duchatelet on Bowyer contract extension

READ:

Charlton manager Lee Bowyer signs one-year contract extension

Duchatelet revealed he thought Bowyer’s agents demands were excessive and that offering him the contract he wanted would’ve made the club an ‘unattractive’ proposition for potential buyers.

News Shopper

'I'm not greedy'

Bowyer quashed the notions his demands were ‘greedy’ and that the agreement between both parties was a ‘win-win’ situation.

“I’m not greedy, it’s not just all about money.

“I want to stay at the club, I love the club.

“It’s perfect for me, I started there as a kid, worked well there last season, we both did.

“I didn’t want to just walk away from something that we had done.

“Negotiations, it is what it is

“The club want to pay a certain fee. I wanted a certain fee. That’s the way it is in any job.

“But the most important thing is that we’ve come to an agreement.”

• Options
    Missed It said:

How many enquires about cancelling season tickets do you think the club received between the statement being published on the OS and Roland going all wobbly and doubling his offer to Bowyer that very evening ? I’m guessing none. 
    On the Season Ticket Refund thread a couple of people said that they had so that's at least two more than none.  Club staff read this forum, they know what it's like for getting stuff organised.  There was the beginning of a season ticket refund action there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bubble said:
    Missed It said:

My understanding from someone who works at the club was that all phone lines we're flooded with calls within minutes of that statement, complaining and I suspect demanding cancellation of season tickets. The club website article couldn't even be read for a period of time due to traffic. 
    Well done to all concerned.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

On the Season Ticket Refund thread a couple of people said that they had so that's at least two more than none.  Club staff read this forum, they know what it's like for getting stuff organised.  There was the beginning of a season ticket refund action there.
    No one was going to get a refund on their ST, behave yourself !
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Read 2 posts above yours.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

You're probably right.  Best to sit down quietly and do nothing at all.  That'll show 'em!
  • Options
    ...The reason he goes on Jim White’s show is also because he’s trying to improve his public image...
    2 observations - Talksport's listenership is tiny.  All their programs that aren't live commentary are dreadful bilge.
    Yet more proof of roly's pathetic delusion.
    polishing turds is pointless at the best of time, polishing a turd with more ordure is the perfect allegory for the rat's football business acumen. We should add coprofiliac to his list of characteristics.
  • Options
    ...The reason he goes on Jim White’s show is also because he’s trying to improve his public image...
    2 observations - Talksport's listenership is tiny.  All their programs that aren't live commentary are dreadful bilge.
    polishing turds is pointless at the best of time, polishing a turd with more ordure is the perfect allegory for the rat's football business acumen. We should add coprofiliac to his list of characteristics.
    Is it really tiny? I have no idea of the numbers, but I know shitloads of people who seem to listen to it frequently. 
  • Options
    Is it really tiny? I have no idea of the numbers, but I know shitloads of people who seem to listen to it frequently. 
    and actually, as much as I hate most of it and agree its loads of utter b*llocks, that probably includes me as I end up having it on quite often even just if in the car
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Read 2 posts above yours.
    That someone had an “understanding...suspect” - yep sounds rock solid to me. Also that the club website couldn’t load because too many people were phoning up? You’re easily convinced!

Didn't someone actually ask for and receive legal advice which suggested that it was very unlikely that you could claim a refund on a season ticket from a football team because they changed their manager and you didn’t want them to?

Still, nice to think it’s down to fan power eh?
  • Options
    Not all that tiny, and what he says to JW gets picked up and repeated all over the shop.