Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Options
    A decent player who has improved over the last season - sorry to see him go.
  • Options
    Nice to know we have ‘a friend in the camp’ who (if we ask him nicely), can hang our EFL NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE banner on their office building railings from time to time.
  • Options
    It's a shame he's leaving but I can't say I blame him.  His time at Charlton probably hasn't done his career prospects much good.  He signed with us for Championship football but gets a relegation and 3 years kicking about in League One on his CV instead.  If it weren't for his Wembley goal, his profile was nowhere really and never going to get him a big move, and no disrespect to Preston, he still hasn't got himself a big move.

Still, thanks for your efforts big frickin' German.  You're a Charlton hero forever as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    It’s worth noting that Preston don’t actually pay big money and their revenue of £13.4m in 2017/18 is very similar to what Charlton’s will be in 2019/20 - in fact it’s a fair bet Charlton’s will be higher.

Their wage bill in 17/18 was £15m against Charlton’s £10m on much lower L1 income.

Obviously we don’t know Bauer is going there, his wider reasoning or how far up Lee Bowyer’s priority list retaining him was.

But let’s be clear that if they are offering him double what Charlton are, it’s a choice on both sides. It’s not can’t in our case, it’s won’t. 
    Good point made @Airman Brown .A strange move because i heard the max Preston would pay is 7 a week.
    Sounds like he got impatient. Apparently he threw his toys out last season, when he was stopped going to Blackburn.
  • Options
    He without doubt leaves a void as he was ever present and a great sidekick to both Pearce and naby. Sorry to see him go
  • Options
    I remember on the Quest EFL roundup of the season the presenters being optimistic for Preston's prospects this season, maybe Paddy saw that!
  • Options
    I remember on the Quest EFL roundup of the season the presenters being optimistic for Preston's prospects this season, maybe Paddy saw that!
    Well they're certainly more likely to be higher up the table than we are. Preston weren't a million miles off the play offs last year, another 4-5 wins over the season and they're right up there. A solid defender like Bauer can help make that difference.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Grant got the chance to play half a season in the Premiership - and finish as his new club's leading goalscorer.

That will be on his CV also. 
    Fair enough but all the extra money in the world can't buy what happened at Wembley.
    And he might never have got the opportunity to play half a season in the Premier League?
  • Options
    I wish him luck, but... Preston?  
    Mmm totally ridiculous 
  • Options
    He doesn't look too happy in that photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Grant got the chance to play half a season in the Premiership - and finish as his new club's leading goalscorer.

That will be on his CV also. 
    Fair enough but all the extra money in the world can't buy what happened at Wembley.
    I doubt Ahearne-Grant will worry too much about that whilst he's been trousering 20k plus(?) a week.
    There is no Ahearne-Grant... Only Grant... He's made it clear he doesn't use that name any more. 
  • Options
    its fairly simple re Bauer in my view under RD senior pros in their prime are off our radar, we are in for younger cheaper prospects, and very good value older frees, and of course VALUE loans. Bauer as a senior pro and is entitled to find his worth which I expect is dramatically more than we are likely to pay.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    razil said:
    its fairly simple re Bauer in my view under RD senior pros in their prime are off our radar, we are in for younger cheaper prospects, and very good value older frees, and of course VALUE loans. Bauer as a senior pro and is entitled to find his worth which I expect is dramatically more than we are likely to pay.
    It's not though, that was my point, he's got 2 a week max probably only 1 a week. Can't see the point in moving.
    The agent just after their fee probably.
  • Options
    Good luck but cannot have been too many top championship clubs chasing him, if at all any.
    Puzzling choice imo.
  • Options
    Great night out in Preston. What was he thinking £££?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Redhenry said:
    razil said:
    It's not though, that was my point, he's got 2 a week max probably only 1 a week. Can't see the point in moving.
    Probably also gets a decent signing on fee as he's a free transfer.

Plus it'll be cheaper for him to live up there. 

Plus Preston won't be fighting relegation.

3 good reasons.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    It’s worth noting that Preston don’t actually pay big money and their revenue of £13.4m in 2017/18 is very similar to what Charlton’s will be in 2019/20 - in fact it’s a fair bet Charlton’s will be higher.

Their wage bill in 17/18 was £15m against Charlton’s £10m on much lower L1 income.

Obviously we don’t know Bauer is going there, his wider reasoning or how far up Lee Bowyer’s priority list retaining him was.

But let’s be clear that if they are offering him double what Charlton are, it’s a choice on both sides. It’s not can’t in our case, it’s won’t. 
    Good point made @Airman Brown .A strange move because i heard the max Preston would pay is 7 a week.
    Sounds like he got impatient. Apparently he threw his toys out last season, when he was stopped going to Blackburn.
    If and it is if we were offering £5Kpw and Preston offered £7Kpw, it's still £100Kpa pay rise.
    I'll be honest and say I would move for an extra £100Kpa. 
    Exactly and he’s prolly worth £500k as a player so may have got a £250k signing on fee in to the bargain ... 
    theres no such thing as a free player no matter what we sign em for 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    I was out in Preston last night coincidentally and football came up a few times with people I've met. Had lots asking about him, saying the only thing they had seen/heard was his wembley goal.
    I told them straight if it was my choice he would stay and hes a solid consistent player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad he's gone to Preston over Blackburn and Wigan

The latter are still adapting to life back in the Championship and could easily be down with us next season; Preston are a bit of a Northern version of Brentford in the sense they go for potential players rather than risky big names
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    razil said:
    Well connected people I talk to think he’s getting more than that, tbf.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

If and it is if we were offering £5Kpw and Preston offered £7Kpw, it's still £100Kpa pay rise.
    I'll be honest and say I would move for an extra £100Kpa. 
    Exactly and he’s prolly worth £500k as a player so may have got a £250k signing on fee in to the bargain ... 
    theres no such thing as a free player no matter what we sign em for 
    nowhere near
  • Options
    Totally gutted if we are to do anything next season we need reliable players like the BFG. Wish him well and expect he’s getting more money but in my opinion it’s hardly a step up.
  • Options
    CHG said:
    They'll go to Blackpool for fun.

Anyway, he's not allowed a night out - his missus has told him there are nappies to change and bottles to prepare.

He might have been Captain at Charlton, but maybe he's only second-in-command at home? :smile:
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    razil said:
    Well connected people I talk to think he’s getting more than that, tbf.
    My people negotiate with Preston. :blush:
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Another thing about losing Pat ...... he had represented a continuity of stability in the team.

He had been one of the longest serving players, consistant and dependable and a role model for incoming players and upcoming youngsters. 

He 'got' what a Lee Bowyer team was all about.
    I bet Lee would rather he'd stayed and provided stability, part of the transition of the team to cope with the Championship.

Chris Solly is well out on his own in terms of long serving players having made his debut in 2009

Naby Sarr comes next having made his debut in 2015 (same at Patrick) whilst Dillon Phillips (2016) is our third longest debutant