Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Copa America 2019

Starts this weekend - anyone watching it?

I am hoping to catch what I can, or at least highlights/repeats of games as some are on very late or middle of the night here.

Chile have won the last two but all eyes again on Messi and Argentina. Surely he cannot finish his international career without a trophy. No Neymar for Brazil, the hosts, which will certainly help Argentina.

Hoping for some great quality football and would like to see Messi lift the trophy as well as see some exciting South American based players before their big moves to Europe. 

Comments

• Premier Sports have the UK TV rights.
    someone is bound to ask
  • Its gonna be on freesports over here.

Neymar is gonna be a big miss, watched the friendly he got injured in and you could see he knew he was gonna miss it from the tears in his eyes
  • Be interested to see how Qatar do what with them hosting the World Cup in just over three years
  • edited June 2019
    Watched Brazil v Honduras last night, Brazil looked very good
  • Started 18 minutes ago with Brazil v Bolivia

• Argentina v. Colombia today at 3pm my time, so 11pm yours looks quite tasty. 

Also quite looking forward to Chile versus Japan. Always have a soft spot for Chile as it's where Bielsa really started his resurrection with that now aged Golden Generation, plus my brother lived there for 4-5 years. 

U-21s start tomorrow as well. Between that and the WWC, so much footy, such little time.
  • Brazil looked very comfortable last night, they're going to be hard to beat especially on home soil. Think they have by far the strongest squad in the tournament. Jesus and Willian coming off the bench last night and they have players like Ederson, Arthur, Militao and Alex Sandro who can't even get a kick. 

Obviously Argentina have the likes of Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Di Maria but their overall squad depth is poor.
  • Brazil looked very comfortable last night, they're going to be hard to beat especially on home soil. Think they have by far the strongest squad in the tournament. Jesus and Willian coming off the bench last night and they have players like Ederson, Arthur, Militao and Alex Sandro who can't even get a kick. 

Obviously Argentina have the likes of Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Di Maria but their overall squad depth is poor.
    Yeah that Argentina side, as has been the case for a while, look completely imbalanced. You don't know how to shoehorn in all the attackers, and the defense and increasingly the midfield look pedestrian. They tend to be good as a sort of beautiful disaster team. 
  • Argentina lose 0-2 to Columbia with a forward line of Messi , Aguero and Di Maria 
  • Be interested to see how Qatar do what with them hosting the World Cup in just over three years
    With a young squad it'll be interesting to see how they cope over there. I expect them to struggle with the physical side but today's match against Paraguay is probably their best chance with Colombia and Argentina to come next. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Uruguay should do well with Gimenez and Godin in defence and a front line of Edison Cavani and Luis Suarez. For such a small country they always produce impressive talent.
  • Results so far

Brazil 3-0 Bolivia
    Venezuela 0-0 Peru
    Argentina 0-2 Colombia
    Paraguay 2-2 Qatar
    Uruguay 4-0 Ecuador
  • Very impressive result for Qatar.
  • I don't get it, why they invite teams from outside their confederation.
    It would be like UEFA inviting Cameroon to take part in the Euros.
  • Danepak said:
    I don't get it, why they invite teams from outside their confederation.
    It would be like UEFA inviting Cameroon to take part in the Euros.
    Because the number of teams wouldn’t divide properly without a couple extra 
  • There are only ten nations in South America so always invite a few to make up the numbers, else they may as well combine the Copa America with World Cup Qualifying
  • I get why they invite other nations into the tournament as it allows the format to work in the fairest way possible. However, I don't think I agree with it being countries like Japan and Qatar.

I think they should just stick to it being countries like Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, and even countries like Jamaica, Honduras, and Canada.  
  • Surely would be better to just combine the Copa America and Gold Cup into one competition? - Of course thats not going to be easy what with two governing bodies but would surely simplify it
  • They did that in 2016 for the Copa Centenario (100th anniversary of the Copa America)
  • Assume this is on 1 of the pay monthly channels as I can't find it listed on terrestrial or sky sports 
  • Sponsored links:

• Assume this is on 1 of the pay monthly channels as I can't find it listed on terrestrial or sky sports 
    yeah £10pm
  • There are only ten nations in South America so always invite a few to make up the numbers, else they may as well combine the Copa America with World Cup Qualifying
    Assume Guyana and Suriname arn't involved?
  • Suriname come under CONCACAF, I presume its the same for Guyana
  • Convincing win for Uruguay against Ecuador with both Cavani and Suarez scoring. Fancy them to do well.
  • Going out to Brazil on Friday for 2 weeks of being a football hipster watching games in this. Very excited after fun experiences in 2014 at the World Cup.

Brazil looked poor in their first match, though the absence through injury of Arthur didn’t help as it meant a very defensive centre midfield pairing of Casemiro and Fernandinho (against the highly attacking Bolivia...). Firmino also looked lacking in match sharpness and I’d start Jesus who was far more impressive when he came on. Richarlison looked their best player to me.

I make Uruguay favourites, followed by Colombia (who dealt with a poor Argentina easily) and Brazil.

Japan vs Chile tonight may be a good watch if anyone has insomnia (kicking off at midnight UK time).
    Good for you mate. Was looking at the ticketing website earlier out of curiosity. Plenty of tickets left apart from Brazil's matches, and you can still buy semi-final tickets for £60.

Would be interested in a report when you get back, quite fancy doing this myself in the next couple of years.

If you're in Rio for a bit, make sure you visit Vasco da Gama's stadium. It's a listed building in a really interesting area, much more impressive than the Maracana I thought.

• MrLargo said:
    Going out to Brazil on Friday for 2 weeks of being a football hipster watching games in this. Very excited after fun experiences in 2014 at the World Cup.

Brazil looked poor in their first match, though the absence through injury of Arthur didn’t help as it meant a very defensive centre midfield pairing of Casemiro and Fernandinho (against the highly attacking Bolivia...). Firmino also looked lacking in match sharpness and I’d start Jesus who was far more impressive when he came on. Richarlison looked their best player to me.

I make Uruguay favourites, followed by Colombia (who dealt with a poor Argentina easily) and Brazil.

Japan vs Chile tonight may be a good watch if anyone has insomnia (kicking off at midnight UK time).
    Good for you mate. Was looking at the ticketing website earlier out of curiosity. Plenty of tickets left apart from Brazil's matches, and you can still buy semi-final tickets for £60.

Would be interested in a report when you get back, quite fancy doing this myself in the next couple of years.

If you're in Rio for a bit, make sure you visit Vasco da Gama's stadium. It's a listed building in a really interesting area, much more impressive than the Maracana I thought.

Cheers mate, Brazil is great fun and I’m glad another Addick knows the wonder of  Sao Januário, a proper interesting stadium and who can’t like the statue of Romario? After I made my Vasco supporting mate go to our game vs Dagenham & Redridge in the JPT a few years back (it was the only game of ours on when he was here), he insisted I had to similarly experience a ‘real’ Brazilian stadium given that Maracanã and Botafogo’s Olympic stadium aren’t authentic anymore as you say!

Pricing for this isn’t so bad for us gringos but sadly is still steep for the locals - group games started at £15 a pop which isn’t bad for Brazil vs Peru on Saturday but even I wouldn’t pay that for Qatar vs Paraguay yesterday and I don’t earn the average monthly wage in Rio of £350! Holding games like that in the 78,000 Maracanã is frankly ridiculous unless you open the doors for free...... :( 
  • Chile beat Japan 4-0 Sanchez even scored