Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Charlton Athletic 2018/19 Review - GOALKEEPERS

Over this week we'll be breaking down by positions and looking at the performance of the players that wore the famous red shirt last season...

Goalkeepers

In typical Charlton style, we never seem to do things the easy way. As the season begun, we found ourselves in a similar situation of squad imbalance that we have seen too often under the Duchâtelet ownership. Dillon Phillips was the senior goalkeeper at the club and had yet to play a full season in the professional game. We started the first two games with Phillips in goal and U23 Ashley Maynard-Brewer on the bench and Phillips didn’t get off to the greatest of starts against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light the opening day, reacting slowly and beaten at the near post to an unexpected shot by Maja from the edge of the box. 

It was the signing of Jed Steer in the middle of August that provided Phillips with competition for that No.1 spot. As August progressed, talk intensified whether Phillips would be able to keep the shirt. Why would we bring in a goalkeeper from Aston Villa (who had played the first game of the season for his parent club) if he wasn’t going to be our first choice for the season? And so it was, Phillips was dropped after Charlton had secured their first away win of the season at Southend United. Steer came in against Wycombe Wanderers after appearing in the Checkatrade Trophy in the midweek, and went on to hold the position between the sticks until the new year.

After a shaky start to life as a Charlton player, conceding 12 in his first 6 games including 5 away at Scunthorpe, there were calls amongst the Addicks supporters for Phillips to be brought back in. But Bowyer stuck to his guns and persevered with Steer. Once the team started to bed down and played with a settled back four, Steer improved and looked a goalkeeper who was assured and capable of making crucial saves. Arguably, his distribution was better than that of Phillips, highlighted in the brilliant assist for Jamie Ward's goal at home to Bristol Rovers. Bowyer said after that game "when Jed comes and collects things, his distribution is unbelievable. At times it is like having an outfield player in the goal". Steer continued to do a steady job, guiding us from the back and kept a respectable 6 clean sheets in his 19 league games he played for the club.

However, it was the surprise recall of Steer by Villa that played a pivotal role in our season by giving Phillips the chance to reclaim the gloves and boy did he do it with aplomb! 

Once Phillips regained the No.1 spot, he never looked back.  We brought in Chris Maxwell, an experienced keeper who again was highly rated on his distribution, but Dillon had been working hard in the background on where he knew he needed to improve. Credit to Andy Marshall too, Phillips come on leaps and bounds over this season and much of that must go down to the hard work Marshall has put into our young goalkeeper. Bowyer highlighted this in February stating, "Dillon has definitely improved as a goalkeeper from the start of the season. Marsh has worked hard with him and Dillon has been on board with that. He’s improved, that’s obvious to see. I think he’s making more saves. His distribution has got a little better. He still has to improve on that, but he is improving, that’s all you can ask of him. There was a time when Dillon felt like he didn’t really have a chance here. He wanted to go out and play games. The intention was that he was going to go on loan in January. But he played in the FA Cup, before we brought Chris in, and I said to him: ‘It’s your shirt to lose’. It’s the same with everyone – if you play well then you stay in the side. That’s football – there is no reason to drop you".

Phillips never lost that shirt. He finished the season with 27 league appearances, conceding only 17 goals and keeping an incredible 12 clean sheets. He has grown as a player and also as an individual, epitomised by his share of the error in the Play-Off Final. He took the knock but carried on, making a crucial save low down to his left to keep out an effort by Leadbitter that looked destined to nestle into the bottom corner. 

Phillips has become an integral member of the squad, well-liked by all and has character, self-belief, and personality to match. Watching him develop has been one of the highlights of the season for me. There's been many highlights this season, but two that stand out were a fantastic save at Shrewsbury in January, and the penalty save away at Plymouth to keep the score 0-0 before we went up the other end and take the lead. 

Phillips has had to wait patiently in the background for so long, but he has forced himself into being our No.1 goalkeeper going into the Championship next season. 

Congratulations Dillon, it’s very well deserved.

Full Series:

GOALKEEPERS: https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85971/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-goalkeepers/p1

FULL BACKS https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85978/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-full-backs/p1

CENTRE BACKS https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85981/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-centre-backs/p1

MIDFIELDERS (1) https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85984/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-midfielders-1-2/p1

MIDFIELDERS (2) https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85989/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-midfielders-2-2/p1

STRIKERS https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85992/new-article-charlton-athletic-2018-19-review-strikers/p1

Comments

• We've been producing quality keepers for some time now. Dillon's in that mould and, the way he's come on this season, I'm sure he'll continue to serve us well. 
  • Great read Sage.  Spot on about the role Andy Marshall plays.  I look forward to reading about the rest of the squad throughout the week 
  • Great review @Sage!!
  • Good article Sage, it made me wonder about last year's ever present keeper Ben Amos. At the start of the season an acquaintance of mine who has been pretty soft on the regime was fuming that we hadn't signed him - especially as he moved on to Millwall. So how'd he do down the road last season? Played 12, Conceded 23, Lost 7. Almost bad enough to contribute to a relegation, which is simultaneously funny and worrying.
  • I think the problem is that we haven’t had a ‘Charlton’ number one since Hamer.  We all recognise the role the keepers play, but it’s a damning indictment on RD’s part that since 14/15 we’ve had loan goalies being our no1 choice 

so pleased Philips has been given the chance and grabbing it 
  • Shame we don't have much insight into AMBs loan spells. Given our budget, can we afford to waste some on an experienced keeper to warm the bench?
  • cabbles said:
    I think the problem is that we haven’t had a ‘Charlton’ number one since Hamer.  We all recognise the role the keepers play, but it’s a damning indictment on RD’s part that since 14/15 we’ve had loan goalies being our no1 choice 

Henderson was permanent (not that it really changes your point).
  • Nice one Sage. The Philips that ended the season seems a completely different player to the one who started it. 

Just shows what confidence and a run can do. Can remember the season before Amos starting a bit unconvincing and then improving as the season progressed.

confidence and game time is huge with keepers
  • Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    I think the problem is that we haven’t had a ‘Charlton’ number one since Hamer.  We all recognise the role the keepers play, but it’s a damning indictment on RD’s part that since 14/15 we’ve had loan goalies being our no1 choice 

Henderson was permanent (not that it really changes your point).
    Bloody hell, I thought we had him on loan.  It’s been a long 5 years 
  • Come on shake it now baby....

Delighted to see Phillips given the chance, we do produce some keepers and I hope he continues to improve this season. Although we do need someone to keep him on his toes and fight for that jersey

• Sponsored links:

• Dillon's progress was an important part of our defence being the best in the league in the final stretch of the season.

Considering at Christmas it seemed like he would be gone in the summer, it has been a great turnaround, for both him and the club (it's great we actually managed to get someone to sign a contract!). I don't know if he is a Championship class keeper, but I definitely think he deserves a chance to prove he is.

Well done Dills and well done Marshall too.
  • Dillon's progress was an important part of our defence being the best in the league in the final stretch of the season.

Considering at Christmas it seemed like he would be gone in the summer, it has been a great turnaround, for both him and the club (it's great we actually managed to get someone to sign a contract!). I don't know if he is a Championship class keeper, but I definitely think he deserves a chance to prove he is.

Well done Dills and well done Marshall too.
    I wouldn't say there has been a turnaround as Dillon has always been a decent keeper. 
  • Great to see Dillon coming through and making the shirt his own, but having loan keepers hasn't done us badly really. Steer was excellent (and can celebrate 2 promotions in 1 season!), while both Amos and Rudd were excellent keepers that you wouldn't expect to see in L1.

Interesting that last summer was all doom and gloom, with Amos off to Millwall AND the goalkeeping coach going there as well, but we've quickly moved on.
  • Great to see Dillon coming through and making the shirt his own, but having loan keepers hasn't done us badly really. Steer was excellent (and can celebrate 2 promotions in 1 season!), while both Amos and Rudd were excellent keepers that you wouldn't expect to see in L1.

Interesting that last summer was all doom and gloom, with Amos off to Millwall AND the goalkeeping coach going there as well, but we've quickly moved on.
    Didn't think Steer was particularly good and be surprised to see him starting at Villa next season.
  • The progress that Phillips has made means that we can get a cheap loanee understudy leaving more of Roland’s loose change for somewhere else on the pitch.
  • Great review, @Sage.

If I'm being pedantic, I would point out that the goalie is the one player who never wears the "famous red shirt" of the intro ;-)
  • Dillon was the most improved player of the season.

£20 says England cap in five years 
    Dillon has impressed me more than Pope did - hard to know his ultimate level.
  • The progress that Phillips has made means that we can get a cheap loanee understudy leaving more of Roland’s loose change for somewhere else on the pitch.
    Wishfull thinking
  • Dillon was the most improved player of the season.

£20 says England cap in five years 
    is Dillon eligible for any countries other than England?
  • Well Phillips is a Welsh name.
  • Sponsored links:

• next week Andy Marshall will have been at CAFC for one year. I am positive that Dillon Phillips owes his quantum leap from poor to near terrific keeper to Andy's mentoring and guidance as well as to his coaching.
    All Addicks fans owe Andy a big thank you .. so THANK YOU Andy