Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Just arrived in Paris and our hotel had a ceremony for the handover of the trophy. 

Comments

• Anybody planning on going to any games this summer?
  • edited February 2019
    Am thinking of going to Lyon for the semi-finals and final. My wife is a big fan of women's football and I would like to attend a World Cup tournament at least once in my life and this will certainly be a lot easier than the men's game. The standard is a lot better than it used to be and I reckon it will be fun, with England hopefully having a decent chance.
  • More interested in the Merlot, Syrah and Grenache to be honest 
  • Chizz said:
    More interested in the Merlot, Syrah and Grenache to be honest 
    Sadly only the names of rooms but we're just off out to find some real versions.
  • Have given this a bit of thought, more as an incidental part of a few days in France, but why not? Tickets aren't expensive and the locations for England games are either close (Le Havre) or touristy (Nice), and Lyon if they do as well as expected.

• Am thinking of going to Lyon for the semi-finals and final. My wife is a big fan of women's football and I would like to attend a World Cup tournament at least once in my life and this will certainly be a lot easier than the men's game. The standard is a lot better than it used to be and I reckon it will be fun, with England hopefully having a decent chance.
    Games including Germany USA France China and England are worth seeing in the latter stages
  • Kap10 said:
    Am thinking of going to Lyon for the semi-finals and final. My wife is a big fan of women's football and I would like to attend a World Cup tournament at least once in my life and this will certainly be a lot easier than the men's game. The standard is a lot better than it used to be and I reckon it will be fun, with England hopefully having a decent chance.
    Games including Germany USA France China and England are worth seeing in the latter stages
    Do you not mean Japan?

They're higher in the rankings than China and of course reached the Final at the expense of us four years ago
  • In the last Euros,
    the host's and the team that played the most attacking football and used the wings was the Dutch who went on to be the winners.
    Jordan Nobbs at 27 is going to be a major loss to England as she was in great form for Arsenal before her ACL injury.
  • Kap10 said:
    Do you not mean Japan?

They're higher in the rankings than China and of course reached the Final at the expense of us four years ago
    I meant to include Japan in there, especially as I saw them play France (i think) in 2012 Olympics.
  • I'm well up for this and am a big fan of women's footy. 

I actually thought about putting a cheaky tenner on France holding both World Cups by the end of this summer (not going to lie, didn't think they'd win the mens' but thought they had the best combination). They've got the last remnants of a real golden generation and some absolutely brilliant footballers. 

The US, if they can keep a core group of players fit, can be really fun to watch. 

And yeah, no reason to think England can't at least match the men's result, if not better it. Nobbs is a big miss though, real quality player. 

Also, keep an eye on Australia. Good, relatively young, incredibly athletic side. 

Should be good fun, especially in the knockouts. Unfortunately there still isn't the depth of talent to make the group stages super competitive. A couple will be, but not dissimilar to how the mens' World Cup was not too long ago you go in with two pretty clear favorites to most groups. But come the knock out stages it should be real good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Am thinking of going to Lyon for the semi-finals and final. My wife is a big fan of women's football and I would like to attend a World Cup tournament at least once in my life and this will certainly be a lot easier than the men's game. The standard is a lot better than it used to be and I reckon it will be fun, with England hopefully having a decent chance.
    I went to 3 matches at the last one as they were being hosted where I live. Probably helped a bit that they were all games involving either Canada or England to help keep the interest factor up, but  I enjoyed them all. There was about 50,000 people at the Canada game. 

It it was undeniably slower, but they were still good games. 
  • any good sites that that show format and games schedule? 
  • edited February 2019
    It has come on leaps and bounds, and I do enjoy watching it. I think Goalkeeper is the main position where there needs to be improvement. If I was part of the FA, I would but a lot of effort into picking out a group of young female keepers and giving them the best coaching possible. You can see where some women keepers lack that technique that only comes from good coaching.
  • Starts tomorrow night with France taking on South Korea, with England's first game on Sunday versus Scotland.

Will anyone be tuning in? This is by far and away the most hype I've ever seen for a Women's World Cup, and I won't deny I've been a little bit caught up in it.
  • Still thinking of popping over for a game. 
  • Looking forward to this, despite the "African cup of Nations" goalkeeping. 

Enjoyed the she believes cup, and want my daughters to watch some games with me (the eldest reckons she supports west ham, so re-education is imperative)
  • McBobbin said:
    Looking forward to this, despite the "African cup of Nations" goalkeeping. 

Enjoyed the she believes cup, and want my daughters to watch some games with me (the eldest reckons she supports west ham, so re-education is imperative)
    You need to fix her up with an Addick bff so they can go to games together without the “embarrassing” parent. 
  • McBobbin said:

You need to fix her up with an Addick bff so they can go to games together without the “embarrassing” parent. 
    She's 7... 

TBF we've only been to the local non league team on school freebie tickets, and she seemed to tolerate my company, so I intend to take her to the valley next season. Fail to see why I should be the only one to suffer addicksion in my house
  • McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:

She's 7... 

TBF we've only been to the local non league team on school freebie tickets, and she seemed to tolerate my company, so I intend to take her to the valley next season. Fail to see why I should be the only one to suffer addicksion in my house
    Re she’s 7. I said BFF, not BF. 
  • Still thinking of popping over for a game. 
    me too. 2 first round games in Nice (lovely!) and one in Le Havre (not so picturesque but easy to get to). Why not if you've got the time?
  • Sponsored links:

• I played football with Alex Greenwood just before she joined up with the England squad ahead of the World Cup. I asked her what level she felt the England's women's team would play at if they were in the football league. While she dodged the question, she did say she thought the women's team were technically better than the mens.

Thoughts on that please.
  • PopIcon said:
    I played football with Alex Greenwood just before she joined up with the England squad ahead of the World Cup. I asked her what level she felt the England's women's team would play at if they were in the football league. While she dodged the question, she did say she thought the women's team were technically better than the mens.

Thoughts on that please.
    Difficult question to answer for me

I'd say its surely easier to be more technical on the ball when you get more time on it and the game is played slower?
  • McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:

She's 7... 

Re she’s 7. I said BFF, not BF. 
    Ahhhhhhh. Gotcha. 
  • Starts tomorrow night with France taking on South Korea, with England's first game on Sunday versus Scotland.

Will anyone be tuning in? This is by far and away the most hype I've ever seen for a Women's World Cup, and I won't deny I've been a little bit caught up in it.
    I will be but I just love watching football

Yesterday I watched Qatar under 23s v Guatemala under 23s

If football is on tv I will watch it, I dont care who is playing
  • PopIcon said:
    I played football with Alex Greenwood just before she joined up with the England squad ahead of the World Cup. I asked her what level she felt the England's women's team would play at if they were in the football league. While she dodged the question, she did say she thought the women's team were technically better than the mens.

Thoughts on that please.
    Think the women would be at non league level - I think the physical element would be a big issue.
  • Will definitely be watching when I can! I forever boycott the notion of the American national teams due to the fact that I hate the "fans" with a passion, so as usual, I will be cheering on the lionesses 
  • PopIcon said:

Thoughts on that please.
    Think the women would be at non league level - I think the physical element would be a big issue.
    All day long, I'd say amateur Saturday league.
  • I can’t wait for this and copa America. It will shorten the off season 
  • PopIcon said:

Thoughts on that please.
    I've heard of two games involving top level women's teams and in each they got completely turned over by a men's semi-pro team and an international (I think) under-16 or under-18 team.  It is indeed the physical aspect that makes it hardest for them to compete against (young) men.

That doesn't make women's football less valid, it just means it's a different event.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Thoughts on that please.
    All day long, I'd say amateur Saturday league.
    I don't understand these comparisons at all ?

Breaking news.... men and woman are different and in every physical sport men will be superior except in Horse racing when the quality of the horse has a lot to do with it.

Ps. That's why Caster Semenya who has 300 % more testosterone than the women she competes against and more than all the macho men on CL is such an contentious issue.