Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England fans causing trouble In Portugal

Top much sun and booze or just plan hooligans? 

Comments

• Didn't even realise England were playing there until I saw the headlines

They sound like a big bunch of twats
  • Always happens when England are playing at an easy place to get to. Wouldn't happen in Eastern Europe. I'm still cringing at the bikes being thrown into the canal in Amsterdam, what is wrong with some people?
  • edited June 2019
    The other side of the story is the video of a plain clothes policeman spraying pepper spray indiscriminatly at innocent men and women as they sat drinking. 
    Not defending the troublemakers but there's always two sides to every story. 
    But if the English fans hadn’t started the trouble the police wouldn’t need to use it. 
  • The same knobheads getting pissed and singing their tiresome songs - will it ever change? An embarrassment.
  • looks like a load of little kids running around on their first holiday, man bags everywhere
  • Sponsored links:

• have been to slovakia, malta and scotland with england and no issues whatsoever ( 2 small pub fights between derby and forest fans ) but really was handbags. 
    as i said on another thread, what pisses me off is when people not getting involved get attacked, saw some footage of a guy innocently standing chatting on his mobile and gets koshed round the back of the legs, police on the continent on the whole in these type of situations are ott and extremely violent, the lets hit 1st ask later method of policing and usually just tear gassing everyone.
    the bottle throwing - simply stop selling glass bottles for 2 days before and day of the matches even if that rule applies to just england fans doesnt bother me i go abroad to drink in bars and have nice refreshing beers. 

have heard reports from a few england fans out there that the bottle chucking started because of england fans cheering when switzerland scored and some locals did not take too kindly too it. 

20,000 england fans travelling out there less than 200 actually involved in mass bad behaviour it isnt the whole it is a small percentage and whilst i do not doubt there is bad behaviour it isnt as widespread as it shows in the media, marseille 2016 was bad but its wasnt ww3 like the papers and media made out. 

suppose the papers only have tonight then they can fill tomorrow with slagging off sterling who i believe is captain tonight. 

• So - the way to stop morons fucking up your town centre is to tell the police to let them 'take over' a couple of local bars and cafes, stop selling glass bottles in case they accidentally slip out of peoples' hands at high speed, profile innocent people who just happen to be standing around actual troublemakers (but look, act, dress and talk exactly the same as them) and ignore provocation of local fans that wouldn't be ignored if it was the other way round

K
  • edited June 2019
    If this appears as i'm defending any actual incident on display out there, i'm not, i'm commenting on the situations, and adding some perspective, which i feel as someone who has travelled all over the world following England I have a right to do. It's my Country and my sport as much as anyone else's and I do naturally get defensive when either are criticised unfairly.

A few points, more on perspective.

1. As this is 1. football and 2. England it always gets reported on disproportionately. This frustrates me, as 100 people out of 15-20k acting like idiots should be viewed in that context. Anyone who goes to big race events or lads holidays or boxing will know that the incidents are more regular and a lot lot more violent. People will think it's a war zone out there, but I've spoken to mates there who have not seen a thing.

2. Local police forces. I've witnessed first hand the difference in policing abroad and there is no doubt that some forces are just waiting for an excuse to steam in and when they do it completely indiscriminate. Many people seem to celebrate this reaction, but would be the first to moan if our police force reacted like that, no matter the provocation. Innocent people should not be battened or teargassed. Being nearby and watching events unfold does not warrant getting clobbered.

How often have see seen videos on social media of other country's fans acting exactly like ours do abroad.  Read the comments and the amount that are from people who watch England or English clubs abroad saying things like "How on earth are they able to do that without the police intervening" or "If that was us abroad, the police would have steamed in by now" is telling.

3. No one know what went before, only the reaction. Other countries fans are not always angels and will antagonise - it's not an excuse but be open to the context. I've seen it all before, how one bottle form a local can result in this kind of occurrence.

3. Culture - one persons boisterous is another persons aggro - a hard one to manage.

4. Don't mistake this for hooliganism as most people know/knew it.  Those have largely gone. What we have is worse and embarrassing, mostly young lads in the stag-do culture (lots wearing man-bags ffs). If not here, they would be in Magaluf etc doing the same behaviour, but without it making the news.

5. Ultimately there are some people who are just idiots and should be punished accordingly - they are an embarrassment. But the OTT comments like England should not play abroad until it's under control are ridiculous.

Very fair point.

To read the press reports today you'd think it was Marseille 98 all over again. Plenty of fans out there have posted on twitter to say it was 1-2 isolated incidents and just a few kids lobbing bottles. Some have said they haven't seen any trouble at all. Yet we see a short video of some riot police chasing some kids down a street and suddenly we get know it alls like Stan Collymore calling for us to be banned from travelling.

And no i'm not condoning it at all, but a load of young lads pissed abroad causing a bit of trouble isn't exactly newsworthy. I saw a video on facebook 2 days ago of a huge brawl in San antonio, Ibiza, at least 20-25 blokes which was far worse than a few bottles being thrown at Portuguese fans/police. But that won't make the news. And i'm sure there will be fights in pretty much every youngsters holiday spot this weekend, Ayia Napa, Malia, Benidorm, Maguluf etc. None of which will get reported.

The genuine England fans who travel to the qualifiers and were well behaved will be ashamed by these little fuckers. Notice they didn't fancy kicking off against Russian police last summer!!

• Solidgone said:
    The other side of the story is the video of a plain clothes policeman spraying pepper spray indiscriminatly at innocent men and women as they sat drinking. 
    But if the English fans hadn’t started the trouble the police wouldn’t need to use it. 
    WTF???
  • So - the way to stop morons fucking up your town centre is to tell the police to let them 'take over' a couple of local bars and cafes, stop selling glass bottles in case they accidentally slip out of peoples' hands at high speed, profile innocent people who just happen to be standing around actual troublemakers (but look, act, dress and talk exactly the same as them) and ignore provocation of local fans that wouldn't be ignored if it was the other way round

K
    glass bottles seem to be the missile of choice for a small section of travelling fans, that added to the litter that comes with it, just stop it for a couple of days, i think the same around trafalgar sqaure when for example Sunderland fans took over the rubbish and smashed glass left behind is really annoying. 
  • 20,000 going so there will be some knob heads within that amount. Not surprised ,more surprised that I actually didn't know we were playing until I read this ! No interest in the national team these days --- not sure why
  • I think the media are really unfair to England football fans.  There's so much coverage in the papers and on the TV about it.  Every time.  

You hardly ever read about or see news reports about fans having fights before rugby matches or Grand Prix races or cricket matches or rock concerts or tennis tournaments or darts matches.  

Honestly, just have a think about the last time you read about a brawl before a snooker tournament.  Or an art exhibition.  They never report it, do they?  

It's SO unfair.  
  • Sponsored links:

• 20,000 going so there will be some knob heads within that amount. Not surprised ,more surprised that I actually didn't know we were playing until I read this ! No interest in the national team these days --- not sure why
    After the exciting of last summer, and also the buzz after we beat Croatia to get to these finals I'm surprised the press coverage has been so quiet.

Here's hoping we win, and there's some exciting for England in a final.

The final is the same day as England women taken on Scotland in their first game of the Women's World Cup. Could be a great day of football.
  • edited June 2019
    Well it’s absolutely smashing it down here, like a proper storm, so nobody is about anyway. Will report back what it’s like later, but at the moment the fan parks they have here will be empty. 

Our cab driver from the airport completely played down last night and said the locals still welcome England fans and know it’s only a few knobs.
  • Read that local schools had to close early because of fears of English hooligans throwing bottles and children getting injured. It's a minority of fans there but it is absolutely shameful. Hopefully those involved get bans and have their passports removed.
  • Not hooligans, Barmies on a jolly, hooligans would be out looking for a Dutch firm, not condoning their behaviour either, random vandalism and drunken abuse of locals and police muggy IMO 
  • Is a pity because England bring loads of fans wherever they go, and they spend spend spend in the local bars... Most are alright but these few knobs give everyone a bad name
  • Palarse ultras if you ask me.
    Bunch of pricks 
  • The other side of the story is the video of a plain clothes policeman spraying pepper spray indiscriminatly at innocent men and women as they sat drinking. 
    I went to an England game in Portugal during the Euros that were held there. Good natured all day and afterwards yet the local militia plod went out of their way to act like dickheads as we tried to make our way out of the stadium and pushed their way through us all despite the crush. Had the England fans reacted I suspect the local plod that had stupidly managed to isolate themselves within the massed England’s fans trying to go in the opposite direction would have been crushed under foot (&boot).
  • On a positive note, superb support in the ground.
  • On a positive note, superb support in the ground.
    Absolutely, dominant England support, something we take for granted and dont get enough credit for internationally, incredible numbers as there are for most tournaments.