Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Telephone Scam / Nuisance Calls

How do I stop them when it is a different number each time?

The phone has rung 6 times today. The first two times a foreign voice claimed to be Talk Talk and told me my internet would be terminated. At that point I hung up on both occasions. I've subsequently let it go to answerphone and checked the numbers afterwards. They're unfamiliar and similar but different to what's gone before.

It's p******* me off. I deliberately don't give out my phone number and am ex directory to avoid this kind of nonsense.

Comments

• I don't think you can do anything as they are from abroad.
    My latest ploy is to scream down the phone as loud as possible.
    That works quite well.
  • Was working from home yesterday and had the very same thing, 4 calls - 2 went dead, 2 were a recorded American voice telling me that my internet was being terminated.

I've only got the landline because it's effectively free with the broadband. I don't use it, I don't even know what the number is and have never given it to anyone.

Anyway, that doesn't help you, and I don't know what the answer is, but I know a few people who've had exactly the same thing.
  • String them along giving them incorrect details.....if nothing else it could make ‘you’ feel better.
  • String them along giving them incorrect details.....if nothing else it could make ‘you’ feel better.
    Trouble is the scammers often have a clever way of reversing the charges so it costs to do that.
  • edited May 2019
    Tell them that you are a police officer who has just arrived at the house of *insert your name here if they use it* and that you have just discovered their (your) body, and it is imperative that due to the suspicious circumstances of your death, you understand exactly why they are calling. 

Go down the route of asking if they are a jealous lover etc, I've done it a few times having heard it online and more often than not they shit themselves. 

It wont't stop them as they are from different numbers each time, but it might prompt those arseholes to consider a different career path. 
    Yep, waste their time Len.
  • Get rid of your Landline . Just use your mobile . I’ve not had one for 10 years . 
  • I get these quite often from @DaveMehmet
  • Get rid of your Landline . Just use your mobile . I’ve not had one for 10 years . 
    3rd call today on my mobile from a "cold caller". As I posted on the "things that annoy you " thread yesterday they are using my first name as my surname  so when they ask is that Mr xxx I say no & hang up. Starting to steam my clams now though.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Hello is that Mr Addick Golfie ?
  • Best advice on here ever was to shout "stranger danger" down the phone at them.
  • there was a comedian that answered a nusience call from a 'have you had a recent accident' call and said 'yeah, i have had an accident' the caller continued to write down every detail about the 'accident' the comedian said and it went on for ages, and the comedian was making all kinds of believable stuff about turning left, the colour of the vehicles etc, when he asked if he had any injuries from the crash he said 'the impact of the crash completely took my head off' and the caller, keeps asking questions. it really made me giggle. but can't remember who the comedian was. not even sure how the call ended!
  • I had a cold caller asking if I had an accident recently.
    I said I had an accident about a year ago and elected to be tried by a jury for dangerous driving.
    I told the caller that I was found innocent by the jury because no jury would find someone guilty for driving over a cold caller. 
  • My old 81 year old mum keeps an Acme Thunderer whistle by the phone for these very occasions, she reckons it gives her a right laugh when they call.
  • Or just ask them, in a pervy voice, 'what are you wearing?'
  • I just try to sell them something like a car, a fridge etc and they normally just hang up.
    3rd call today on my mobile from a "cold caller". As I posted on the "things that annoy you " thread yesterday they are using my first name as my surname  so when they ask is that Mr xxx I say no & hang up. Starting to steam my clams now though.....
    Don’t answer a number you don’t know . Ignore it then block it . If you feel you have answer it for some reason then get the app Truecaller which filters most spam calls so you don’t have to even hear them . 
  • Never answer a call from a number that you don’t know. If they don’t leave a message then block the number. 
  • The ones I love are from 'Dave' or 'Sandra', when they're speaking with a Mumbai accent.

I find talking with a strong regional accent with a few made up words chucked in, is hilarious. Was in mid throws of my best Ian Paisley Ulster accent last week, when disappointingly they hung up on me.
  • Sponsored links:

• When somebody calls and asks for me by name I tell him\ her in an extremely posh voice that I am his butler, I then say I will pass the the phone to him & after a short while I shout down the phone fark orf.
  • LenGlover said:
    How do I stop them when it is a different number each time?

The phone has rung 6 times today. The first two times a foreign voice claimed to be Talk Talk and told me my internet would be terminated. At that point I hung up on both occasions. I've subsequently let it go to answerphone and checked the numbers afterwards. They're unfamiliar and similar but different to what's gone before.

It's p******* me off. I deliberately don't give out my phone number and am ex directory to avoid this kind of nonsense.
    I have the same problem, @LenGlover. What's your phone number, I'd like to have a chat about it.
  • Put the number into a Google search engine and it should bring up who called you, you can then read any comments left and add a complaint.
  • You guys have too much time on your hands with your comedic retorts and investigations. 

Don’t answer
    Block

done