Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Attack Attack Attack?

We’ve been really really good at home this season, 16 wins I think?

Imo if we play how we have all all season we’ll be okay.... but do we sit back soak up the pressure and hit Donny on the counter attack, as surely they are going to go for broke in the first 30 minutes, and come at us.

Or do we just go all out for a win, play our normal game, and get young Albie on the ball pulling the strings and dictating play.

I just hope the lads keep their nerve and play their normal game, and that the fans are really really up for it, no nerves, just singing, clapping and Roland’s favourite, dancing ... for 90 minutes.

Comments

• Three at the back again?
  • PopIcon said:
    Three at the back again?
    I would. 
  • edited May 2019
    PopIcon said:
    Three at the back again?
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. I thought the tactics were spot on with Sarr able to give Purrington some back up to nulify the dangerous Wilks and Bauer had Marquis in his pocket whilst Bielik was calmness personified when helping out Djiksteel. Anything aerially was dealt comfortably with by our CBS who are the best three in the division without question.

On the attack with both full backs pushing into midfield it will allow Aribo to play with freedom just behind the front two where he is at his most dangerous. I don't get this Donny will come at us from the off mantra, personally I think it will be a cautious opening with both teams feeling their way into the game. At some point though they will have to go for it and we can hit them on the break assuming we haven't already breached their defence. We are the better team the 15 point gap from 3rd to 6th proves this and we will have chances so I'm confident we'll seal the deal on Friday night COYRs!
  • I'd be tempted to play Williams at home and try and kill the game off in the first half
  • edited May 2019
    I'd be tempted to play Williams at home and try and kill the game off in the first half
    I would definitely have him on the field at some point but maybe on the hour when legs are tiring and he can run at them, then again he could keep them on the back foot from the off. I could live with either option.
  • PopIcon said:i
    Three at the back again?
    Nooooooo.. Beliek was wasted there on Sunday. No need to do anything different to what we have been doing at home all season. We beat Luton only a?few weeks ago ffs !!

My only caveat is that we MUST have a striking option on the bench. I may not rate Recco (if he's fit) but that would be a better option than bringing on Pearce & putting Aribo up there if we had to. 
  • I'd stick to the tried and tested formula of 41212 

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Morgan
    Aribo
    Taylor Parker

Maxwell, Solly, Pearce, Pratley, Lapslie, Williams, Reeves

(though I would prefer a striker on the bench, and Forster-Caskey and Page would be unlucky to miss out on a spot in the squad)
  • edited May 2019
    PopIcon said:i
    Three at the back again?
    Nooooooo.. Beliek was wasted there on Sunday. No need to do anything different to what we have been doing at home all season. We beat Luton only a?few weeks ago ffs !!

My only caveat is that we MUST have a striking option on the bench. I may not rate Recco (if he's fit) but that would be a better option than bringing on Pearce & putting Aribo up there if we had to. 
    Opinions eh? Bielik wasn't wasted at CB Golfie, he was an integral part of the formation which the management team had been working on to get a result in the first leg away from home of a 180 minute semi final. That objective was achieved by denying their danger men Marquis and Wilks room to work their magic. And what happened when we moved Bielik into midfield? We conceded at the far post where Sarr and Purrington had previously been comfortable for most of the game.

This is not now some gung ho one off we must win at all costs 2nd half of a tie. Chances will come our way whether it's 3-5-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 but there is no need to be too expansive and allow their forwards any space which was prevented for the most part on Sunday. And as for a striker on the bench, Reeco? Unless Igor has taken a magic healing potion it ain't gonna happen. Williams will be that 'option' if the team is unchanged, if not and he starts it'll be fingers crossed for Taylor and Parker to see the game out.

if we play our crisp passing posession game there is nothing to fear; keeping it tight at the back, opportunities will present themselves, take one of those and we're home and dry. I'm not saying we sit back and invite Donny on but avoiding defeat is far more important than playing all out attacking football on this occasion as queried in the OP. This isn't Luton where we had a play off spot virtually guaranteed and automatics unlikely but mathematically still possible. We had nothing to lose and went for it. This is a completely different scenario (ffs 😉) but whatever personnel and formation he chooses, in Bowyer I trust to get the job done on Friday night. COYRs
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d say start fast and go for the throat. They will probably be thinking 1-0 down with 90 mins to go and start steady.
    we should push to get that 2 goal gap again in the first 20. If successful, then the counter attack’s a beautiful thing!
  • Definitely wouldnt play three at the back at home

Understood Bowyers decision to play on Sunday, we were the away team so were looking to contain a team that had home advantage

Now though we need to play to our advantages and force them to adapt to us, rather than us trying to match up against other teams
  • edited May 2019
    Same team that started against Rochdale for me - didn’t like the switch to 3 at the back but if it did a containing job so be it - at home we shouldn’t be altering our style to contain anybody - same at Wembley if we get there - our best performances of late have been built around Belik and Cullen in the middle 
  • I think whenever we attack the crowd should just shout 'CHARGE'
  • Greenie said:
    I think whenever we attack the crowd should just shout 'CHARGE'
    “Advance!”
  • Bowyer will treat this exactly like a normal home league game.
  • Greenie said:
    I think whenever we attack the crowd should just shout 'CHARGE'
    FREEEEEEDOM
    Christ might have to stay at home if Nicola Sturgeon is going to be at the Valley tomorrow
  • Play like we did against Luton. Luton are a lot better than Donny and they couldn't live with us.
  • PopIcon said:i
    Three at the back again?

Didn’t Reeco return from his loan because he was injured?
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:
    I’d say start fast and go for the throat. They will probably be thinking 1-0 down with 90 mins to go and start steady.
    we should push to get that 2 goal gap again in the first 20. If successful, then the counter attack’s a beautiful thing!
    Yes a 2 goal advantage would really put us in control and make them take risks

Our play on Sunday in the first half showed they couldn't live with our attacking threat