Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robot lawn mower

I'm braced for dogs' abuse on this one :-)

Anyone got one? Experiences with it?

I don't have a big lawn, (in fact "lawn" may be pushing it, I'll come to that), so I'm considering the smallest Bosch model.

I don't care that it doesn't make stripes. I gave up the fight to create an anglicky travnik (English lawn) a few years ago. The climate is too dry, and the soil isn't right, for that. But I like the idea of it doing a daily cut, especially when we are away. It helps, among other things with my great War on Ants. The grass area is fairly flat, so that suits these things. Current mower is electric, I hate the hassle with the cable. Sure there is the exercise, but there will still be plenty of that, clearing the turds left by the neighbour's cat,  following up with the weedkiller, the lawn feed, and carpet bombing of the ants.

So what's not to like? Just wondering about installation of the border guides

Comments

• I literally saw one of these for the first time yesterday, at a client's house. It was like a big cute green bug. The kids adored it. I was taken with it also. But I'm sure many of you Mrs Doyles out there want the time-consuming agony of doing the mowing yourselves
  • They're rubbish.

Still have to employ a gardener to empty it every ten minutes.
  • Leuth said:
    I literally saw one of these for the first time yesterday, at a client's house. It was like a big cute green bug. The kids adored it. I was taken with it also. But I'm sure many of you Mrs Doyles out there want the time-consuming agony of doing the mowing yourselves
    It's character building.

(He says after having a ten minute break between doing the front and back gardens).
  • Addickted said:
    They're rubbish.

Still have to employ a gardener to empty it every ten minutes.
    Why not have a robot to empty it?

You can get robots to do everything these days

• Stick with it, a little bit of hard work & you’ll get the results you want.
  • What the owners of the robot lawnmower told me is that it cuts the grass so finely that it basically forms a sort of grass dust, so doesn't need to be collected.

Not sure that makes for the tidiest lawn, but it's what they said.

Early days though

• Stick with it, a little bit of hard work & you’ll get the results you want.
    You've not got a dog, have you?
  • Well this is going well :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Doubt they have the power to cut all but the flatest and finest of lawns. Leaving the cuttings on the lawn means walking them in the house every time you go out. 

Cutting the grass yourself is very good for the mind and body. 
  • edited May 2019
    @PragueAddick

If you didn’t spend so much of your time on CL then you would have more time to cut your lawn. Robot Lawnmower. Whatever next. 

;0)
  • As I say, the absolute best thing about the robot lawnmower was how cute it looked. It was like a big green vacuum cleaner/beetle hybrid
  • There are three things that put me off getting one. 

1. They're expensive.  
    2. They're much more likely to get nicked than one you push around.  Obviously.  
    3. Did I mention the cost? 
  • I enjoy mowing. No way would I trade in my monster petrol mower with a whole 129cc engine...

When you look at decent mowers they're about £500 so these little robo bugs aren't that expensive.
  • Small lawn should take about 10 minutes, especially if you do it twice a week.

If you can’t be bothered, spend £10 a week for a Gardner to do an hour a week and have a nice garden to sit in at the weekend and enjoy.

Robot mower my arse. Whatever next.
  • Chizz said:
    There are three things that put me off getting one. 

1. They're expensive.  
    2. They're much more likely to get nicked than one you push around.  Obviously.  
    3. Did I mention the cost? 
    They are protected by a PIN system. I appreciate that so are our mobile phones. 
  • Weedkiller?!?
    Bee murderer!

• I must admit, I looked into the robot motors a while ago but decided to stick with my petrol mower.  I'm sad enough to love mowing my lawn.  Its a man job around the house I can actually do, unlike proper DIY which frightens the life out of me.

Now if only they could come up with a robot that waters the plants!

Thats my next job, installing an automatic watering system to water both front and back gardens.  I may love mowing my lawn but I can't stand the 60-90 mins it takes to properly water both of our gardens.  Add that up to 2-3 times a week over a summer and thats time that can be used for doing other stuff. 
  • Small lawn. Bosch Cordless. Bish, bash Bosch
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not go totally philistine and put astro down? 
  • lolwray said:
    Why not go totally philistine and put astro down? 
    I've got astro down and can tell you now, its a bugger to cut!!
  • The above is how the lawn shd look ...this morning at lolwray gardens 
  • Just bought a battery powered mower as didn't want petrol. Lot more expensive than I'd normally pay for one, time will tell whether it'll prove a good purchase. 
  • Weedkiller?!?
    Bee murderer!

Not that kind. German stuff that kills small weeds in grass but obviously not the grass, or anything else. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Small lawn should take about 10 minutes, especially if you do it twice a week.

If you can’t be bothered, spend £10 a week for a Gardner to do an hour a week and have a nice garden to sit in at the weekend and enjoy.

Robot mower my arse. Whatever next.
    £10 per hour for a gardener. 
    Good luck with that.
  • Our lawn lawn was already pretty shite. Just got a puppy. Just got Astro. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    I must admit, I looked into the robot motors a while ago but decided to stick with my petrol mower.  I'm sad enough to love mowing my lawn.  Its a man job around the house I can actually do, unlike proper DIY which frightens the life out of me.

Now if only they could come up with a robot that waters the plants!

Thats my next job, installing an automatic watering system to water both front and back gardens.  I may love mowing my lawn but I can't stand the 60-90 mins it takes to properly water both of our gardens.  Add that up to 2-3 times a week over a summer and thats time that can be used for doing other stuff. 
    I take it, you’re not on a meter.
  • Inherited a decent looking lawn but after mowing a few times and staying on top of dandelions now looks a bit patchy.

Top tips to get back on top of it? Do I really need to mow twice a week?