Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ADVICE NEEDED

Right Lifers I am in a bit of a pickle...

The date of the Play Off final coincides with a wedding for one of my Missus's friends. Not majorly close friends by a long shot but chummy all the same.

We've been together for a couple of years and I've let her know for ages that the Play Off final is this day. Just so I could get it in early doors. She's having none of it though and said I HAVE to be at this wedding.

IF indeed we do get to the Final, what the hell do I say or do to get out of this wedding!?

I've already said to take her sister who's also friendly with them to go with her in my place.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 

Comments

• Explain to your wife that the divorce rate is nearly 50% in this country and increasing every year so the marriage probably won't last and is not something you're prepared to miss such a big day for after all the recent years of pain.

Also who gets married on a Sunday?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Right Lifers I am in a bit of a pickle...

The date of the Play Off final coincides with a wedding for one of my Missus's friends. Not majorly close friends by a long shot but chummy all the same.

We've been together for a couple of years and I've let her know for ages that the Play Off final is this day. Just so I could get it in early doors. She's having none of it though and said I HAVE to be at this wedding.

IF indeed we do get to the Final, what the hell do I say or do to get out of this wedding!?

I've already said to take her sister who's also friendly with them to go with her in my place.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    Does the missus normally let you do what you want to do?
    If the answer is yes you should on this occasion attend the wedding.
    I never have to ask my wife , so if the wife asked me on this one occasion of course I'd attend the wedding
  • Go to the final. You'll regret it if you don't.
    It depends robin , if Charlton lad attends the match would this lead to the break up of his relationship.

• clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    Wedding comes first mate
    Agree, wedding far more important.  It's only a game of football.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    Wedding comes first mate

Question for admin ?
    Can we please bring back the flags for when two agony uncles give such shocking advice.
  • Pretend as though you've got the shits... Sit on the toilet all morning and wait for her to go to the wedding

Moment she leaves chuck on your Charlton kit and get down the pub with your mates for some pre-match beverages ahead of a short trip down Wembley Way - Just make sure that no photos of you enjoying your special day ever either (1) Reach FaceBook or (2) Reach the eyes of your wife

If No.2 happens then just give your wife a thumbs up and say: "Imodium is a life saver innit"
  • I missed my wife's brother's wedding because I was at Le Mans. I hadn't actually booked it when they announced the date but my wife knew how much me and my dad used to enjoy and look forward to it that she was happy (ish) for me to go.

It was a very quiet affair, even his wife said to me before the day that I'd made the right choice and wouldn't be missing much!

• Wait until Saturday morning when it becomes an issue and then tell her you are going to the final. It’s a special match that usually doesn’t come around often and nobody is going to want a miserable b’stard at the wedding, watching the match on his phone, cheering and swearing, spoiling  the day for the bride and everybody else.
  • Try it on with your wife's friend, you'll soon be un-invited.
    The voice of reason.
  • clb74 said:

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I never have to ask my wife , so if the wife asked me on this one occasion of course I'd attend the wedding
    Why didn't you go instead of CharltonLad88 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I know what answer i'd choose, probably explains why I was dumped a couple of weeks ago! Who needs women when we've got Lee Bowyer!?
  • _MrDick said:

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I got the same predicament... the missus wants me to go to the Kent Garden Show in Maidstone. But I think I might get away with not going to that ... for a price  

Give her some money and say to her "spend it on something to trim your bush"

That'll bound to win her over.

• clb74 said:

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I have a similar sort of agreement with the wife - i.e. Neither feel the need to ask if we can do something (its just polite)

thankfully though when it comes to Charlton she knows that there is zero chance of stopping me from ever attending
  • _MrDick said:

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! 
    I got the same predicament... the missus wants me to go to the Kent Garden Show in Maidstone. But I think I might get away with not going to that ... for a price  

Slight difference   !!!  A GARDEN show that is probably held annually to other halfs mate's wedding.

To answer the OP...........

In this case I'd probably have to suck it up & go - but tell her you'd be following on all social media & probably even see if the event had Sky. This is coming from a bloke who is divorced twice & who's first wife found out how important CAFC is. Just make sure you never have to answer the question (after a bottle of wine) of......"if you had to choose between xxxxx (name of partner) or CAFC, what would you choose....."

btw.............its not an issue until Friday evening. We might not get to Wembley. chill until then.

PS. At my 2nd wedding there was a gap of a few hours between wedding breakfast (lunch) and evening reception. The wedding was on Lades Final day at Wimbledon and due to a previous rain delay Tin Henman played his Semi final. Also there was a Test match being shown on C4. Me & a few guests managed to watch a few hours of both after I had brought along a portable tv (wayyyy before everyone had mobile phones). You just have to be creative.

• Are you a season ticket holder who has been going all season or just going to a couple games here and there? Not that it makes you more or less of a fan in my eyes but it would strengthen your claim to be able to go to final, it's the conclusion of what you've been going to week in week out!

Does your girlfriend have a lot of other friends there or will you be the only person she knows? If she knows a lot of people there I think that you not being there is nowhere near as much of a big deal.