Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"English" football success this week

So 4 English clubs make up the 2 major European club competition finals.

However few English players will feature and no English managers before the media start the inevitable self congratulatory OTT wank circle.

Arguably it's a good thing in that the top players from the world come to our league therefore raising the bar and meaning English players learn from their teammates and managers and up their game to feature in teams.

Likewise the English managers will need to adapt and overcome if they are to succeed alongside their foreign counterparts.

Also making the EPL the go to league brings the money that theoretically trickles doen through our leagues as far as grass roots level.

Perhaps even in tenuous happy clappy view it also brings diversity of cultures etc to the forefront and role models of English  youngsters are from further afield in a time where the country is going through a period of introspective navel gazing.

But is it really healthy in the long run for the English game. If English managers aren't getting the top jobs and youngsters are perhaps not getting the top flight experience could it be damaging?

This debate has gone on for years but just thought it relevant as whilst it's 4 English clubs they are very English in terms of managers who've masterminded the success, the players who have delivered it and in all cases bar Levy the money men owners who have funded it.

I'd like to think it brings the benefits and raises the standards all round like when Wenger turned up with his insistence on dental care and the likes of Zola rocked up with healthy diets and teetotalism before revolutionising the English game a quarter of a century ago.

But difficult to know whether it improves or stunts the development of the English game overall.

Comments

• I Think there has been a lot of luck of involved,  but even still epic achievement and will never happen again  
  • edited May 2019
    CH4RLTON said:
    I Think there has been a lot of luck of involved,  but even still epic achievement and will never happen again  
    I think the money makes it more possible and likely. As someone pointed out that spurs as a club who won nothing last year have 20 times the t.v. revenue than Ajax it means the spending power of EPL clubs dwarfs most other leagues

They can attract the world best players and the top English clubs will battle it out with Barcelona, Madrid and the odd Italian German or French superpower based on the economics.

If anything it will be more likely under the current economics.
  • edited May 2019
    Laddick01 said:
    Few English players?

TAA, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Rose, Trippier, Alli and Kane

and that’s just off the top of my head!

Out of 44 players it's a small proportion .

However there probably are more than I realised come to think of it :-)

Good in that case as surely raising standards
  • Laddick01 said:
    Few English players?

You can add Maitland-Niles, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Winks, Dier, Lallana and Oxlaide-Chamberlain to that list and then City's Walker, Stones, Sterling, Delph and Foden and that's 20 English players from out top 5 sides. All of them bar Maitland-Niles and Foden are full England internationals.

• edited May 2019
  • I don’t think it’s a good indication all in honesty. Look at the success of our youth sides and the senior side in recent tournaments. I’d say the future of our national side looks very good in the short to medium term. Beyond that, who knows?
  • I personally find the thought of two all English finals as remarkable but also boring. All English matches don't interest me in Europe.
  • I personally find the thought of two all English finals as remarkable but also boring. All English matches don't interest me in Europe.
    Bet you’re going to watch them though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    Few English players?

Nothing like checking facts before posting smartarssery.
    Being proud of achieving something that has never been done before is an "OTT wank circle"? Really?
    Only you know why you are so anti English.

Imagine my concern - but thanks for sharing. Nothing like a pompous post to stir the loins and get the 'Rule Britannia' mojo going.
    Yeah all English matches are so sh1te, in the last few weeks we’ve had City v Spurs, Newcastle v Liverpool and City v Leicester, three really boring games. 
  • Says it all for the current strength of the Premier league when Arsenal go away to mid table clubs and get turned over, but can go and win at Napoli and Valencia.

UEFA will this morning no doubt be fuming that there are 2 all English finals. 
  • So 4 English clubs make up the 2 major European club competition finals.

However few English players will feature and no English managers before the media start the inevitable self congratulatory OTT wank circle.

Arguably it's a good thing in that the top players from the world come to our league therefore raising the bar and meaning English players learn from their teammates and managers and up their game to feature in teams.

Likewise the English managers will need to adapt and overcome if they are to succeed alongside their foreign counterparts.

Also making the EPL the go to league brings the money that theoretically trickles doen through our leagues as far as grass roots level.

Perhaps even in tenuous happy clappy view it also brings diversity of cultures etc to the forefront and role models of English  youngsters are from further afield in a time where the country is going through a period of introspective navel gazing.

But is it really healthy in the long run for the English game. If English managers aren't getting the top jobs and youngsters are perhaps not getting the top flight experience could it be damaging?

This debate has gone on for years but just thought it relevant as whilst it's 4 English clubs they are very English in terms of managers who've masterminded the success, the players who have delivered it and in all cases bar Levy the money men owners who have funded it.

I'd like to think it brings the benefits and raises the standards all round like when Wenger turned up with his insistence on dental care and the likes of Zola rocked up with healthy diets and teetotalism before revolutionising the English game a quarter of a century ago.

But difficult to know whether it improves or stunts the development of the English game overall.

I read recently that 75% of the players in the Premier League are not British.

When fans make the comment "good to see English clubs do well", I smile inwardly.
  • The strength has filtered down the league , look at the play offs in The Championship and League One , strong teams 

in all honesty the rich get richer and the top 6 pull away from the rest ...
    the top two 23+ points in front of 3rd 
    an awful Man Utd team , in 6th , are 9 points in front of 7th and 13 in front of 8th ...

When will someone outside those top 6 break in to the top 4 

leicester truly was was a footballing miracle and never to be seen again and most of all it stopped Tottenham .

I mean a flag was hanging from the counter at Hobbs Cross Golf Centre yesterday , grown men walking round the streets in Spurs attire ,a few of the dads chats come alive with gobby Spurs fans goading everyone .
    The nightmare has begun , fuck of you *****, come on Liverpool and I despise them !! 
  • "Oi, tottenham fan, come back to me when you have won the Premier League".

Big club, my backside.
  • I think it's good for those bigger clubs that are well established in the Prem. My main football concerns are rather lower down the pecking order though. I suspect that for the majority of English clubs it will turn out to be a bad thing as spending power and fan bases are concentrated at the top. You only have to take a quick glance at the finances of the EFL clubs to know that the trickle down effect is a fallacy. The only thing that really trickles down is the overspending imperative. The two semi finals this week provided spectacular entertainment and I was genuinely pleased for both Liverpool and Spurs. However, I can't help but wonder how many young kids were lost forever to their local teams (including Charlton) as a result of those games. And of course there will be more to come with the excitement of the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• The strength has filtered down the league , look at the play offs in The Championship and League One , strong teams 

in all honesty the rich get richer and the top 6 pull away from the rest ...
    the top two 23+ points in front of 3rd 
    an awful Man Utd team , in 6th , are 9 points in front of 7th and 13 in front of 8th ...

When will someone outside those top 6 break in to the top 4 

leicester truly was was a footballing miracle and never to be seen again and most of all it stopped Tottenham .

I mean a flag was hanging from the counter at Hobbs Cross Golf Centre yesterday , grown men walking round the streets in Spurs attire ,a few of the dads chats come alive with gobby Spurs fans goading everyone .
    The nightmare has begun , fuck of you *****, come on Liverpool and I despise them !! 
    If United don't improve and Wolves continue to spend then they could get top 6 next season.
  • Can’t see anyone breaking in to the top 4 anytime soon

although going by the last week of footballing joy Ive had , palace will finish top 4 next season and the following season millwall will break the 100 point barrier as they become Premier League Champions , completing the treble , pipping palace to the title with a millwall time winner in the 12th minute of added time 
  • Never mind that it’s 4 Teams from the PL, the more telling statistic is that 3 of them are London clubs and that there’s another one that’s going for a place in a final this month...must be something in the water...
  • edited May 2019
    I personally find the thought of two all English finals as remarkable but also boring. All English matches don't interest me in Europe.
    Liverpool v Spurs yes I'll watch but I won't be watching Chelsea v Arsenal. 

All English matches don't interest me because as others have said it's the same top 4 teams or so every year it's boring. I much prefer to see other teams like Ajax have a go instead of the same teams that are suffocating English football with their dominance. 
  • Riviera said:
    I personally find the thought of two all English finals as remarkable but also boring. All English matches don't interest me in Europe.
    Yeah all English matches are so sh1te, in the last few weeks we’ve had City v Spurs, Newcastle v Liverpool and City v Leicester, three really boring games. 
    I don't doubt they weren't good games I watched them all and enjoyed them all. 

I would just rather see our top teams playing other top teams from abroad rather than slugging it out with each other because money has allowed it.

When I say a game will be boring it's more the fixture itself I mean than the actual game being played. Ajax v Liverpool or Spurs v Barcelona would have interested me a lot more is more the point I was making but probably didn't put across like that originally. 
  • Concur with all the above posts, the fact that 4 "English teams" making it to the final will now attract the top talent to them and with it the higher wages....Making it more difficult than it is to be competitive. 
    Liverpool v Spurs yes I'll watch but I won't be watching Chelsea v Arsenal. 

All English matches don't interest me because as others have said it's the same top 4 teams or so every year it's boring. I much prefer to see other teams like Ajax have a go instead of the same teams that are suffocating English football with their dominance. 
    Ajax haven’t finished outside the top 2 of their domestic league for 10 years and have been to 6 European finals since Tottenham last appeared in one.
  • So 4 English clubs make up the 2 major European club competition finals.

I read recently that 75% of the players in the Premier League are not British.

When fans make the comment "good to see English clubs do well", I smile inwardly.
    Only 4 of the Ajax side who started v Spurs were Dutch.
    Only 4 of the Barca side were Spanish.
    Only 3 of the Valencia side were Spanish.
    Only 3 of the Frankfurt side were German

Good research Chris. I think that and Callum's post answer the questions nicely. 
  • i think for rare things like this it should be looked at as as simple as it is, four English teams making the finals of the two biggest cups in Europe is bloody impressive.

on a side note, will the EPL get any additional European places for next season? 

CL winner gets a spot in next seasons champions league - both already qualified through the PL so where does that spot go?

EL winner gets a spot in next seasons Champions league - if the winners have already qualified through the PL does it go to the runners up if not where does it go? 
  • edited May 2019
    Major said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Few English players?

Nothing like checking facts before posting smartarssery.
    Being proud of achieving something that has never been done before is an "OTT wank circle"? Really?
    Only you know why you are so anti English.
    Completely uneccessary and a misinterpretation of the spirit of my post.

No anti Englishness here...very proud of my country and our national team.