Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doncaster v Charlton | Sun 12 May | 12:15pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Sunday 12th May 2019 … 12:15pm Kick-Off
Referee: Oliver Langford

Introduction
I’d like to start this preview by thanking everyone for their comments in my last issue for the Rochdale game – Writing these have been something that I’ve always enjoyed over the last few seasons so the comments I receive are always much appreciated – So its with much pleasure that I get to write at least another two before our season is up, with results taking a surprising (yet welcome) return on Saturday evening it was left to Charlton to snatch third spot at the death, you could argue we now have the easier fixture this coming weekend, our opponents: Doncaster Rovers will rightly have a different opinion to that…

Welcome to the Play-Offs!!
Having already written three previews against Doncaster I thought I’d take a different approach this week… For the first time since the 1997/98 season (and for just the fifth time in our history) we find ourselves facing a team on at least five occasions – The omens are good though, the last team it happened against were Ipswich Town and we all know what happened on that occasion… Yet enough about Charlton for now, how do our Play-Off rivals stack up?

Doncaster Rovers
Our opponents for the Semi-Finals need little introduction… Having faced them on three occasions this season there will be little that the two Managers don’t know about each other and there is little to separate the sides; both have a win (albeit Doncaster’s came against a youthful Addicks in a contentious FA Cup clash), whilst the encounter at the Keepmoat just a few months ago saw a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

In total Doncaster have spent four campaigns in the Play-Offs, they’ve been promoted on two occasions (from the Conference and League One) via. this route and along with Charlton are the most successful at getting through what many consider an unpredictable stage of the season

Sunderland v Portsmouth
Hang on; we’re not facing either of these two teams so why cover them!!!… Well in short it’s the Play-Offs and I’m fed up of writing about Doncaster – As one of the juiciest ties in the whole of the Football League Play-Offs many would have thought that one of these would take the automatic slots, that’s not happened and again for the fourth time this season these two giants will be forced to slug it out for a trip to Wembley

Historically neither have great records at this stage of the season; Portsmouth have only ever finished in the Play-Offs once (1993) losing in the Semi-Finals to Leicester… Sunderland on the other hand have two campaigns to their name, one promotion in 1990, a defeat in their second and more famous outing in 1998.

Charlton Team News
So on to the serious matters and that is to debate the approach that Lee Bowyer will take on Sunday afternoon – To be honest and to be short I think we can expect very little change to the team that faced Rochdale on the last day of the regular season… Chris Solly will serve the last of his four match suspension whilst Igor Vetokele remains a doubt after pulling up with a thigh injury in training ahead of our last match.

In Midfield; Albie Morgan continues to show signs of a player that’ll improve with age and experience, the question is will Lee decide to stick with the Academy youngster or go with experience in Jonny Williams – One thing is certain and that is our defence must be stronger and more alert this time round… Doncaster top-scorer: John Marquis found himself ghosting in between our centre-backs far too often at the Keepmoat, the offside flag might not save us on this occasion!!

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
Williams
Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Pearce | Pratley | Lapslie | Morgan | Marshall | Reeves

Prediction
Good luck to anyone wanting to predict this result… The Play-Offs are a different beast to the League season and anything that has happened before (including the 15-pt gap between these sides) must be forgotten… Doncaster have proven to be adapt in the Cup this season, we need to ensure that we come back to South East London with at least a draw for the second leg, too big a loss (or a win) could make that game next Friday utterly redundant!!

Comments

• 2 - 1 To us , Taylor and Aribo with the goals , Parker saving his hat trick for the home leg.

other game 1-1 draw

• Now that we've all got our tickets the time turns to the game and be optimistic yet cautious. If we don't get stage fright I expect us to come away with something. The tie won't be won on the night, we just need to make sure we dampen their fire as this will be Donny's best chance of securing an advantage given our home record. I'm going for 1-2. Taylor and Aribo. Come on you Reds. 
  • 4-0 is the new 2-1. I hope we thrash them so I can enjoy the game at the Valley a bit more.
  • edited May 2019
    I am struggling against years of let down and ball ache supporting this football club but I think Lee and the boys will not let us down.

1-1 here (possible 1-0 to Donnie)

but we cruise the home tie and get to Wembley.
  • Only two more previews to go this season FA. 😁
    A hard faught 1.1 draw. 
    But we will stuff em back at the valley. 
  • We'll win the reverse 2-0 in regular time.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    We'll win the reverse 2-0 in regular time.
    Extra Time or Penalties?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019
    3 cup finals win all 3 and we are championship. 

would take a 0-0 up there if offered now, last season going a goal down we was all doom and gloom now even if we come away from there 1 or 2 down get them back to the valley and who knows, confidence is all around the place the fans, the team etc. 

going to go for 1-0 taylor 

form counts for nothing but 

charlton last 10 W 8 D1 L1 gf 20 ga 4 gd +16
    donnie last 10 W5 D2 L3 gf15 ga 12 gd +3
  • tight game, Taylor to score a second half pen to equalize their 1st half goal.

we then cruise the 2nd leg 3-1 after going 0-1 down

• Not an easy game at all, but I think as a side we’ve improved massively even since the last time we played them.

Would take a 1-1 back to the Valley, but think we have enough to nick it at their place.

2-1 Charlton.
  • This has a potential banana skin feel to it, we are expected to win. We are the team on form, hopefully we can keep it going. Will be a tight affair but 2-1 away win

COYR, getting nervous thinking about it

• Honestly, I’m not confident about this match one bit. All away tickets sold, over 20,000 tickets sold for the home leg. This has got disappointment written all over it. Sorry for being pessimistic....
  • 1-2 Addicks ... Aribo and Taylor

We are going up
  • Physical game awaits. If we can set the pace early and get them chasing shadows then I think we could really turn them over. 

Gonna go 3-0 Charlton (Taylor, Sarr & Aribo) 

Momentum is with us and hopefully that will carry us through.  
  • Sponsored links:

• As usual FA, your write-up is very interesting and I always look forward to reading them. Prediction, I do not think it will be as easy as some are saying, I will be happy with a 0-1 win
  • edited May 2019
    Draw after 60 minutes at 0-1.

1-1.
  • 2-0 defeat 
  • Nil all,and on to the Valley. 
  • 1-1

Charlton to win the second leg.
  • a mere steppingstone on the path to Wembley

Doncaster Rovers 0 v CAFC 2
  • 1-1. 

The thing that has me most confident this year is our home form - even if we lose on Sunday we'll still have a second home leg, an evening in front of a packed Valley crowd
  • 1-1

Comfortable win at home.