Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Royce

Simon lives around the corner from me. I have never spoken from him apart from today when my other half introduced me to him.

He's a great guy.  Not involved in football now. Got a painting and decorating business.  But still has very fond memories of his time with us. He thought Curbs was a great manager. 

Simon's a thoroughly nice bloke who wishes is well.

Comments

• Underrated.
    Massively underrated. I loved the guy
  • edited May 2019
    "You should have stayed at The Valley...."

Good solid keeper and seemed a decent bloke too.
  • 5 clean sheets in 9 appearances. 4 of those 5 whilst we were in the relegation zone too. Decent
  • Good keeper. His career suffered as for a long spell when he should have been at his peak, he barely played

Yes the money is good, but are the likes of Elliott and Hamer really happy? Elliott has played 68 games in 8 seasons and 222 in his total career. By contrast Darren Randolph who's slightly younger has played well over 400 games
  • Curbs was too loyal to Ilac.  Should have dropped him earlier.   Royce was a way better keeper.  may not have been relegated if he had played more.
    Royce wasn't in the squad for our relegation season. And without Scott Carson we'd probably have been relegated earlier!
  • Sponsored links:

• Simon lives around the corner from me. I have never spoken from him apart from today when my other half introduced me to him.

He's a great guy.  Not involved in football now. Got a painting and decorating business.  But still has very fond memories of his time with us. He thought Curbs was a great manager. 

Had a mate (non football fan) who played golf with him, and said the same about him being a decent bloke.
  • Simon lives around the corner from me. I have never spoken from him apart from today when my other half introduced me to him.

I hope you'll drop the museum into conversation next time you see him 
  • Was a very good goalkeeper. Also was part of the best goal scored that I’ve seen live.
  • Curbs was too loyal to Ilac.  Should have dropped him earlier.   Royce was a way better keeper.  may not have been relegated if he had played more.
    Didnt Royce suffer with a few injuries that season

Seem to remember him only dropping back out the team after that impressive run because he got injured

Swear when he went down my instant reaction was: "Not Again"

Seem to remember him only dropping back out the team after that impressive run because he got injured

He was a very good keeper but really unlucky with injuries in his time here.

By the time he’d got back to match fitness after the 98/99 season, Dean Kiely had arrived.
    Royce wasn't in the squad for our relegation season. And without Scott Carson we'd probably have been relegated earlier!
    He was in 98/99
    I've been away far too long! I was in London when we had Royce and Ilic, I was in Thailand when Carson was in goal.
  • Painting and decorating business? Guess he was playing in the Premier League a few years too early.

Yeah, and then Petterson had to go in goal. And that was our season over.
  • edited May 2019
    rJorgeCosta said:
    Simon lives around the corner from me. I have never spoken from him apart from today when my other half introduced me to him.

Top keeper, always thought he was good with his hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is his business called Rolls Royce?
    Has he kept clean sheets?
  • You say that he lives near you. What town are we talking about please?
  • Painting and decorating business? Guess he was playing in the Premier League a few years too early.
    Has he not only just come out of football though. I believe he was coaching with Brentford youth until very recently?
  • I remember a q and a with Simon, maybe at Bromley Addicks, when someone asked if he felt hard done by by Curbs signing Dean while he was injured.  He said that Deano was an amazing keeper and that Curbs had told him "I signed him cos he reminded me of you".

I remember him being very witty and humble that night, although it was 20 years ago. 
  • You say that he lives near you. What town are we talking about please?
    Hockley 
  • He punched my uncle once. For that reason, he's a top man.