Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• edited April 2019
    All I heard was that the selectors knew he had been suspended but not why. Once they heard why,  they "dropped" him. 
  • edited April 2019
    What drug did Hales test positive for? This isn't about Cannabis is it? 
  • Class A drugs I believe.......so probably coke.
  • They knew why he had been suspended and kept him in the squad. The story made the papers then he was dropped. Doesn't take a genius to work out why. 

If the ban for taking non performance enhancing drugs is 21 days, it's 21 days.  If its a years suspension from playing for England it is just that.  It shouldn't be 21 days then add the world cup on afterwards. 

• Hales has had his chances though. I think it's probably fair he misses the tournament but will obviously be a big loss. 
  • Hales has had his chances though. I think it's probably fair he misses the tournament but will obviously be a big loss. 
    He has but they have changed his punishment half way through him serving it.  That's what I have an issue with. He should either have been "not considered" from the start or not at all.

I agree that Hales has had more than enough chances but you can't chop and change on a wim. Is it an cunning plan to shoe horn Archer into the squad with out upsetting anyone?  If it is it looks pretty silly now Billings is injured. 
  • I read that the hair follicle test showed that he had been taking cocaine almost every day for the entire period it covered so over 3 months.
  • That does change things a little, I admit
  • I think for the first failed test, you get counselling and it's kept confidential. Fail a second one and it goes public. This could be how he got named in the squad i.e. it was before the second test (excuse the pun). I don't know the time between the tests and how long the stuff stays in the system but I'd guess it's structured so there is time for it to clean out. It looks like he did some more after the first test which is asking for it really.
  • I read that the hair follicle test showed that he had been taking cocaine almost every day for the entire period it covered so over 3 months.

That's not to be sniffed at
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess Hales was racking up lines on that night out in Cardiff. It would explain a lot about another England players actions.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Hales has had his chances though. I think it's probably fair he misses the tournament but will obviously be a big loss. 
    He has but they have changed his punishment half way through him serving it.  That's what I have an issue with. He should either have been "not considered" from the start or not at all.

I agree that Hales has had more than enough chances but you can't chop and change on a wim. Is it an cunning plan to shoe horn Archer into the squad with out upsetting anyone?  If it is it looks pretty silly now Billings is injured. 
    What would the Billings injury have to do with it? If anything, makes it easier, because they can now bring in Archer because Billings is injured. 
    If Alex Hales emerges after the ban with a completely shaven head we'll know why...
    I agree with two-thirds of this post! 

He's certainly had his chances.  And it's fair he misses the tournament.  But, England's one day batting line-up is so strong, I am not sure he'd have been in the starting XI, had everyone been fit. (And I say that as a huge fan of his: his would be the first name I would ink in, if I were a selector). 

I am not saying we will win the World Cup.  But if we don't, I don't think Hales will be the reason.  
  • Chizz said:
    Hales has had his chances though. I think it's probably fair he misses the tournament but will obviously be a big loss. 

He's certainly had his chances.  And it's fair he misses the tournament.  But, England's one day batting line-up is so strong, I am not sure he'd have been in the starting XI, had everyone been fit. (And I say that as a huge fan of his: his would be the first name I would ink in, if I were a selector). 

I am not saying we will win the World Cup.  But if we don't, I don't think Hales will be the reason.  
    Unless Roy/Bairstow get injured in whixh case we will miss him.
  • Chizz said:

Possibly not, we certainly have Roy, Bairstow, Root, Buttler and Morgan as a strong top 5. If they are fit and in form than it's fine, but having Hales competing with them made us even stronger and if one of them had to drop out I would have much preferred him over Denly coming in. 

I agree it won't be the reason we won't win it, but it's contributed, especially causing issues just before it starts. 
  • Chizz said:

Unless Roy/Bairstow get injured in whixh case we will miss him.
    Doesn't Roy have a bad back at the moment? Hales at the moment is first reserve really, but that's still a loss. Vince seems likely to replace him in the squad, Denly to me is more cover for Moeen
  • Cafc43v3r said:

What would the Billings injury have to do with it? If anything, makes it easier, because they can now bring in Archer because Billings is injured. 
    Because Hales and Billings were the 2 "spare" batsman.  Leave 1 out for Archer but if you scape goat Hales to make room, then Billings gets injured you would set your self up to look a little silly wouldn't you? 
  • Before each and every season every single player is warned about not becoming involved in drinking to excess, taking drugs and gambling especially with regards to match fixing. It is drummed into them time and time again and the culture that was prevalent a few years ago culminating with the tragic death of Tom Maynard is one that cricket has tried to get rid of.

Hales is 30. He knew the score but chose to ignore it. Even if one accepts that he was an innocent bystander to what went on in Nottingham it was there for all to see that he was off his trolly at 3.00am. That should have rung massive alarm bells in his head. But it didn't.

To then hide behind a statement from a management company is, frankly, pathetic in the extreme. If he had something to say then he should have done so himself but to publish a manufactured PR statement that complains of being unfairly treated when he clearly needs to go away for a time and with help clean himself up is a reflection of not just him but those that are guiding him. It is just one big denial and helps no one - least of all him.
  • All I heard was that the selectors knew he had been suspended but not why. Once they heard why,  they "dropped" him. 
    Is Ashley Giles a selector? If so, it's incredible to think he could have picked Hales, given what he would have known.  And, if he's not a selector, it's incredible that he would have omitted to tell Ed Smith that Hales couldn't be picked.  

Ashley Giles has a lot of questions to answer.  The longer they hang around unanswered, the more he will have waiting for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• On top of that every player has a hair follicle test twice a year which can track drug usage for more than the last 3 months. 

Having failed one before he must have known there was no way he was going to get away with this. 

What's really wound me up with this is that ever since the Bristol incident Hales has been on a bit of a charm offensive in the media. Trying to 'change his public image' and saying that the Bristol thing was a wake up call. Clearly that was all simply bullshit.
  • Armed with the knowledge that he had already failed one drug test he must have known another was coming .
    Therefore he must be seriously thick or seriously addicted .
    Maybe both.
  • Another career ruined. 

Talking about career's that players who have ruined their own careers I see that Mervyn Westfield, who served time for accepting £6,000 to spot fix, is currently playing for Hornchurch. He was at Frinton for the previous 5 years and has probably replaced Monty Panesar, who was with Hornchurch last season, as their "celebrity" player.

Westfield was 23 when he committed the crime and is the same age as Hales. His first class career was finished by the episode and the best he has been able to do is to play some games for Suffolk - but he has gone out of his way to warn others about the perils of being influenced by the promise of easy money.

Perhaps Hales will do the same? Only if his management company suggest that he should I'm sure.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Because Hales and Billings were the 2 "spare" batsman.  Leave 1 out for Archer but if you scape goat Hales to make room, then Billings gets injured you would set your self up to look a little silly wouldn't you? 
    Not really, Denly and Hales were in the 15, Billings was already injured. 

So they could well have dropped Hales to make way for Archer without upsetting any of the players, but Billings injury came ages ago. Don't agree they have done anything to make way for Archer anyway, I believe Vince will now replace Hales. If Archer makes the squad it will be the expense of either Curran or Plunkett IMO. 
  • Hales really is in trouble when not even Stokes will speak up for him. We also know why the management didn't know anything about it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not really, Denly and Hales were in the 15, Billings was already injured. 

So they could well have dropped Hales to make way for Archer without upsetting any of the players, but Billings injury came ages ago. Don't agree they have done anything to make way for Archer anyway, I believe Vince will now replace Hales. If Archer makes the squad it will be the expense of either Curran or Plunkett IMO. 
    Sorry I agree with you, someone earlier mentioned it was away of getting Archer in, I was saying it wasn't a very good one. 
  • matched reduced to 45 overs

Archer bowling his first over. Ireland 6 for no wicket. 

Ireland
    • William Porterfield(c)
    • Paul Stirling
    • Andrew Balbirnie
    • Kevin O'Brien
    • Lorcan Tucker
    • Gary Wilson(wk)
    • Mark Adair
    • George Dockrell
    • Tim Murtagh
    • Boyd Rankin
    • Joshua Little