Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St George's Day

Comments

• Options
    There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND.

First day working for me in 9 years and very much missed the usual drink up with good friends. Hope all those celebrating had a special day.

Pic from a great day in 2016
  • Options
    ''That's 25th October you charlatan''

St. Crispins Day, is that correct Henry?
  • Options
    Took a group of suited and booted footy lads (Millwall,Chelsea & Tranmere) from Borough Market to The Den today for a St Georges Day celebration lunch.
    Felt dirty driving into that cesspit but have to take my hat of to them for holding such an event  Couldn't see CAFC doing the same at the Valley
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Not heard it mentioned on the BBC, C4 or Radio 2 news bulletins.  No interviews with Joe public in pubs all decked out with English flags. Nothing. 

St Patrick's Day however...... 
  • Options
    We served this beer on St Georges Day, and very nice it was too!

• Options
    Not heard it mentioned on the BBC, C4 or Radio 2 news bulletins.  No interviews with Joe public in pubs all decked out with English flags. Nothing. 

Did you enjoy yourself? If yes what's the problem?

I think that there aren't enough English who are bothered by St George's Day to make it newsworthy.

And St Patrick's is just a celebration of Guinness these days. So they market it so that newsrooms will show it.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Actually the battle of Agincourt isn't decided until there is a " people's" vote 

So do we keep on voting until the French win?
    The French did win.  The Battle of Castillon - 17 July 1453
    An away tie with a reserve team with a 70 year old Earl as Captain. We were 2-0 up by half time and the old goat got carried away.

Still didn't completely kick us out of their end.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    iainment said:

Did you enjoy yourself? If yes what's the problem?

I think that there aren't enough English who are bothered by St George's Day to make it newsworthy.

And St Patrick's is just a celebration of Guinness these days. So they market it so that newsrooms will show it.
    It is odd though. Us English don't need too much of an excuse to go out on the pis. It really doesn't get much coverage.

Asked one of my son's if they mentioned it at school yesterday and unsurprisingly they didn't.

Strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We prefer to show the flag and our love of our country when it matters, like when we are in a football tournament. You don't have to celebrate a saints day to be patriotic. In fact I would imagine religion should be a bigger driver.  Surely, if people want to go to the pub to celebrate St George's day they can although as you said, us English don't really need much of an excuse anyway.
  • Options
    I do wonder why it isn't pushed more commercially with pubs desperate for cash 
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Wantsum as in River Wantsum separating the Isle of Thanet?
  • Options
    I do wonder why it isn't pushed more commercially with pubs desperate for cash 
    I have 2 regular pubs in Plumstead. One of which went full on. With a DJ, sausage and mash meal for all and flags all over. It was busy.
    The other just a couple of flags up.
    I went to the quieter one last night. It was busy as well.
    Horses for courses.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Riviera said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Perhaps many people quietly celebrated and gave thanks to God for Saint George in their local church.
  • Options
    Thought it was gonna be "Happy St George's Day, I hope you all had a great day" when I see Seth Plum as the last comment 
  • Options
    Is that supposed to be a dig?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Riviera said:

No, it's made by the Wealdstone Raider brewery
  • Options
    I have it on high authority that the dad of @BR7_addick got free beer on St George's Day some while back by telling the new barmaid that it was tradition to top up the pints up of patrons once they had 1/3 of a pint left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's. Not. Until. Next. Week! 

:lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Okay, C U Next Tuesday
  • Options
    The reason pubs don't go mad for st George's day is because the appetite for it isn't there if I'm being honest. St Patrick's day people acr the twat, go out drink Guinness wear moronic merchandise and pretend they like the pogues. All too easy for pubs because Guinness have already done the marketing for them. 

I seriously think if there was a beer that everyone would identify as an exclusively English beer pubs would get involved a bit more but sadly most landlords and landladys don't have a clue even what date st George's day is because they wont have had a box of merchandise and other free shit turn up in preparation like they will with Guinness 

When I used to DJ a pub had me booked every year to play only music by English artists and they'd do sausage and mash, pie and mash and get an ale in called dragon slayer to sell cheap or something equally kitsch and it would be packed 

Leave it up to the people and you will be disappointed, keep celebrating the day as you see fit 

• Options
    Carter said:
    The reason pubs don't go mad for st George's day is because the appetite for it isn't there if I'm being honest. St Patrick's day people acr the twat, go out drink Guinness wear moronic merchandise and pretend they like the pogues. All too easy for pubs because Guinness have already done the marketing for them. 

I seriously think if there was a beer that everyone would identify as an exclusively English beer pubs would get involved a bit more but sadly most landlords and landladys don't have a clue even what date st George's day is because they wont have had a box of merchandise and other free shit turn up in preparation like they will with Guinness 

When I used to DJ a pub had me booked every year to play only music by English artists and they'd do sausage and mash, pie and mash and get an ale in called dragon slayer to sell cheap or something equally kitsch and it would be packed 

Leave it up to the people and you will be disappointed, keep celebrating the day as you see fit 

Irony klaxon 

;) 
  • Options
    Carter said:

Did you read my earlier post?
  • Options
    Yes, what would probably help would be to associate the day with something people liked doing. St Patrick's day is about getting pissed and putting on stupid hats and pubs promote it to sell beer. We just have never had that tradition associated with St George's day. I don't think you have to celebrate it to be proud to be English in the same way as you don't have to stand up all game away if you are a Charlton fan, but some seem to think it is a requirement! 
  • Options
    Yes, what would probably help would be to associate the day with something people liked doing. St Patrick's day is about getting pissed and putting on stupid hats and pubs promote it to sell beer. We just have never had that tradition associated with St George's day. I don't think you have to celebrate it to be proud to be English in the same way as you don't have to stand up all game away if you are a Charlton fan, but some seem to think it is a requirement! 
    Good luck sitting down at Gillingham. 
  • Options
    😴😴😴
  • Options
    I have it on high authority that the dad of @BR7_addick got free beer on St George's Day some while back by telling the new barmaid that it was tradition to top up the pints up of patrons once they had 1/3 of a pint left.
    That sort of length to avoid a round only comes with experience.