Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]

2) Bjorklund, that sort of wages for that sort of crock

Who?
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    3) Rowett, inexcusable to pay Leicester the same fee for him, after he turned us down and then proved himself to be a crock on a big contract.

We didn't. Total fee would have been £3.5m but that was dependent on games. Paid under 500k in the end as he never played.

The fact that Leicester were showing the full £3.5m in their books as a creditor was one of the factors that sent them in Administration.
    Re Rowett, I never knew that. I still think it was a bad decision to take a chance with him because while he was obviously a good player he’d had a bad knee injury that was just waiting to happen again. 
  • iaitch said:
    LenGlover said:
    Hard to pick just 5 really.

1. Bent M

2. Gray

3. Traore

4. Redfearn

5. Varney L

I've based my selection on end product against expectation for the money paid. There are a number of others but these are the five that came to mind.
    Can’t argue with this. 
    Luke Varney has a golden pass as he scored winning goals against Palace.

Same for Rommedahl, Todorov and Kitson. 
    And Matt Spring.
  • Forgot that one but has a golden pass now.
  • Any 5 simply have to be from the early days of the Roland era.

Mine would be:

Koc
    Thuram
    Lepoint
    Nego
    Onyewu

All utterly pointless signings.
  • 1.Polish Pete
    2.Thuram
    3.Lepoint
    4.Vaz Te
    5.Roger Johnson

Pre-Roland:

1.Rommedahl
    2.Hasselbaink
    3.Jeffers
    4.Traore
    5.McLeod
  • edited April 2019
    Salim Kerkar
    Mikel Alonso
    Piotr Parzyszek
    Anil Koc
    Yohann Thuram

- Edit, forgot about Lepoint & Nego!
  • 1.Polish Pete
    2.Thuram
    3.Lepoint
    4.Vaz Te
    5.Roger Johnson

Pre-Roland:

1.Rommedahl
    2.Hasselbaink
    3.Jeffers
    4.Traore
    5.McLeod
    Won more penalties for Charlton than any player, other than Colin Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1.Piotr Parzyszek

2.Yohann Thuram

3.Roger Johnson

4.Demba Ba

5. Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank

• Not sure Demba Ba played for us, El Hadji Ba did and has been mentioned.
  • Quite right my mistake  I did of course mean El Hadji Ba !
  • Chizz said:
    1.Polish Pete
    2.Thuram
    3.Lepoint
    4.Vaz Te
    5.Roger Johnson

Pre-Roland:

1.Rommedahl
    2.Hasselbaink
    3.Jeffers
    4.Traore
    5.McLeod
    Won more penalties for Charlton than any player, other than Colin Powell.
    Yup. But he was a truly awful player, especially as he came with such a reputation. Made Ajose look like Messi. 
  • Salim Kerkar
    Mikel Alonso
    Piotr Parzyszek
    Anil Koc
    Yohann Thuram

- Edit, forgot about Lepoint & Nego!
    Understandable.
  • edited April 2019
    Makienok should be nowhere near this list. 
    Brought in to score goals alongside Igor in a season where we were favorites to be promoted (What a thought), and bagged 5 in 37 appearances. Frustrating for me but did score vs Hull and assist for JBG's winner so I'll give him props for that. Only positive from that whole season
  • Rossman92 said:
    Brought in to score goals alongside Igor in a season where we were favorites to be promoted (What a thought), and bagged 5 in 37 appearances. Frustrating for me but did score vs Hull and assist for JBG's winner so I'll give him props for that. Only positive from that whole season
    Rotherham away?

Can't find a mention of Super Alan Pardew's super star signing Dean Sinclair? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Rotherham away?

Can't find a mention of Super Alan Pardew's super star signing Dean Sinclair? 

Rotherham was a good performance yeah. I still expected more from a 6 foot 7 striker with caps for Denmark
  • 1.Polish Pete
    2.Thuram
    3.Lepoint
    4.Vaz Te
    5.Roger Johnson

Pre-Roland:

1.Rommedahl
    2.Hasselbaink
    3.Jeffers
    4.Traore
    5.McLeod
    Rommedahl was a big disappointment but certainly not in the Top 5 worst signings

With the reputation he came with  I think he was. Lazy player too. Wycombe cup game always springs to mind. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to make a list for this as we have seen such a differing quality, from prem to league 1, so it can be quite hard to include a prem player as they surely would show something in league 1, so I went with:

Borrowdale
    Matt Spring
    Frank Nouble
    Pawel Abbott
    all these players even struggled in the dizzy heights of league 1 football and:
    Thuram (how is he a goalkeeper)
  • MrLargo said:
    1.Polish Pete
    2.Thuram
    3.Lepoint
    4.Vaz Te
    5.Roger Johnson

Pre-Roland:

1.Rommedahl
    2.Hasselbaink
    3.Jeffers
    4.Traore
    5.McLeod
    Rommedahl was a big disappointment but certainly not in the Top 5 worst signings

With the reputation he came with  I think he was. Lazy player too. Wycombe cup game always springs to mind. 
    How can he possibly feature on a 5 worst signings list ahead of Hasselbaink, Faye, Traore, Spector, Francis, McCormack, Stuart Fleetwood, Dean Sinclair, Martin Cranie, Martin Christenson, McLeod etc, etc, etc, etc. 

Rommedahl shouldn't be anywhere near this thread. I am bewildered that you think he should be.
    It's all relative. He came with a big reputation and didn't come close to living up to it. One of the laziest players I've ever seen. 
  • Terrible memories returning here, many of which my mind had blanked out to ease the pain. I think my worst five are adequately represented  but struggle to see how anyone can include Rommedahl, Spector or Bartlett. Rommedahl was a disappointment but hardly a 'worst' candidate. Spector improved with experience and Bartlett was outstanding. All three competed in the top flight when we have a back catalogue of ineptitude at lower division level. Dowie was guilty of a slew of hurried big money signings of players not capable of Premiership quality but my five worsts would all come from the steaming pile of cack we have been handed under Duchatelet. 

• Rossman92 said:
    Had two outstanding games where he was a clear MOTM.

Home Vs Hull, and away to Rotherham.

• I still laugh when I think about Christophe LePoint - I remember he came off the bench and just ran about like a loon never getting anywhere near the ball! That was 900K well spent! 
  • Whenever anybody doubts if he could have made it as a professional, just think of Thuram. Playing for Charlton when he did was just down to chance, luck and being able to tie bootlaces. (Also having a delusional owner that thinks he’s a reincarnation of Alan Turing helps)
  • I never rated Carl Tiler. 
    The other 4 would probably be post-Curbs.