Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford v Charlton | Good Friday | 1pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Good Friday … 1pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)

Introduction
There have been a number of occasions this season where the Addicks have been forced to show their character in coming from a goal down to seal the three points… For the first time in three attempts Charlton would concede first against a top six rival and still record a win, that coming against Luton on Saturday would be one of the performances of the season and so keep alive our hopes of automatic promotion – Yet we now come to the last serious hurdle of the regular season; the Easter Period!!... With two games in four days it’s a time that can either make or break a season; it begins with a short trip up the M40 to Oxford United

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Manager: Karl Robinson
Ground: Kassam Stadium

Of course our opponents need little introduction and with Karl Robinson at the helm are well known to Addicks fans… For Oxford though it’s been a season of uncertainty that has petered out into what’ll be a bland battle for mid-table. It could have been a lot worse though and with just six points by mid-October we could have been travelling to Oxfordshire visiting a team on the cusp of relegation, the fact that half the league have been in a relegation scrap has probably saved Robinson from the chop and look likely to be at this level once more this time next season

Despite having beaten Luton on Saturday you could argue that our hardest game is done and dusted yet that appears far from the truth, the Addicks may lead the form table (which earnt Lee Bowyer a Manager of the Month nomination) yet the same can be said for Oxford who sit two places lower in that table having conceded the same amount of goals (two) in the last six games… Facing a team who remain undefeated in the League against Charlton over the last six encounters (D4 | L2), this could be our hardest test yet!!

Charlton Team News
The good news this midweek is the fact that both Lewis Page and Jake Forster-Caskey made successful returns to match action by appearing in their first U23 game this calendar year, unfortunately both will remain short of fitness for some time so cant be relied upon this Friday yet the fact remains that Charlton largely have a fully fit squad going into the business end of the season.

Saturday against Luton was a stern test and Bowyer was proved right in his match selection from the Wycombe game by resting key players; Krystian Bielik and Igor Vetokele were both withdrawn before the end with cramp yet should hopefully be available for the next handful of fixtures – With Scunthorpe approaching on Easter Monday it’ll be up to the backroom staff to once again decide which game takes precedence yet with Oxford higher in the league you’d be surprised if its not this one.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Williams
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Bielik | Lapslie | Pratley | Parker

Prediction
If you had to pick one of the remaining four that’ll consign us to the Play-Offs then you’d think that this is to be the one – Games of late against Oxford have been tight, turgid affairs and fully expect this one to be no different… Bowyer though has shown though that he can name a team that can match anyone in this Division, in our back five we have a group of players who can keep out anyone!!

The fact that we play before all our rivals means that this is a chance to put serious pressure on those around us

Comments

• I fancy him to go with Pearce over Sarr and Pratley over Reeves, like you say, a turgid affair awaits us.
  • I fancy him to go with Pearce over Sarr and Pratley over Reeves, like you say, a turgid affair awaits us.
    I think he'll go Pearce over Sarr on Monday
    Either or, I just think Scunthorpe are gonna come for a point so Sarr acts as another midfielder when we are attacking in that game.
  • tight game we snatch it 1-0 and keep the pressure on, good prep game for playoffs as an in form team but with nothing for them to play for we should want it more. 
  • Great preview as always FA.
    I honestly think that if we can beat Oxford we will go on and win our remaining games to finish on 91 points. 
    Feeling optomistic so 3.1 Charlton. 
    It will be Sarr and Solly for 1, Dijksteel and Pearce for the other.  The later would be a better fit for Oxford IMO. 
  • You'd be better off going up the M40 really
  • IdleHans said:
    You'd be better off going up the M40 really
    Whoops went a bit too far North
  • edited April 2019
    This is the one of our 4 games left I worry the most about. Unfortunately I think the fat scouser might just finish off our realistic chances.

1-1. Oxford equalise in the 89th minute and Robinson sprints wobbles down the touchline Mourinhoesque in celebration, only to have to give up after 10 yards when he gives himself a stitch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W96WM6UF8xo
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019

Any ex Charlton players likley to line up against , Kashi ? Ricky Holmes?
  • Did we not agree to stop calling it the regular season, as if it’s MLS?
  • edited April 2019
    JaShea99 said:
    Did we not agree to stop calling it the regular season, as if it’s MLS?
    Did we? - Must have missed that meeting, yet thats my personal preference to differentiate between the two
  • CH4RLTON said:

Any ex Charlton players likley to line up against , Kashi ? Ricky Holmes?
    Kashi... Yes
    Holmes... No - He's @ Gillingham now yet hasnt played for them
  • Another win , Taylor and Igor on the score sheet and the autos very much still on.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 0-2 Igor & Williams. Taylor plays a blinder (again)
  • One one goal game
    either
    Kashi deflected thunderbolt 
    or
    in off Igor’s bum
  • I’m not getting too carried away at the moment. Gobinson will have his players fired up for this one and in James Henry, they have a player that always seems to score against us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Win 14-0 & we'll be in the automatic place for a couple of hours.
    Reading this has just reminded me I was dreaming last night that I checked the latest score and we were winning 9-0...then one of the dogs started barking and woke me up (2.20am ffs) and I didn’t get to finish the dream to see what the final score will be
  • Win 14-0 & we'll be in the automatic place for a couple of hours.
    Reading this has just reminded I was dreaming last night that I checked the latest score and we were winning 9-0...then one of the dogs started barking and woke me up (2.20am ffs) and I didn’t get to finish the dream to see what the final score will be
    9 all
    Thanks, do you know who scored ?
    Reading this has just reminded I was dreaming last night that I checked the latest score and we were winning 9-0...then one of the dogs started barking and woke me up (2.20am ffs) and I didn’t get to finish the dream to see what the final score will be
    9 all
    Thanks, do you know who scored ?
    3 for Taylor 
    6 for Purrington. 
    I can't remember who scored for Oxford 
    9 all
    In years to come 55,000 people will claim to have been at that game...
  • Will be in Kanazawa for this one, eating sea grapes and sea urchins for starter (2:0 to the Karls) but will come back with horse meat shavings in raw egg (Sarr hat trick) 2:3 final score, hard to swallow, but anything for 2nd spot. COYR
  • JaShea99 said:
    Did we not agree to stop calling it the regular season, as if it’s MLS?
    Did we? - Must have missed that meeting, yet thats my personal preference to differentiate between the two
    Right ok.
  • Wont be a classic game , it think 1 - 0 to us. Igor with the goal.