Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Disappointing Article -Henry Winter

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1118056659945967616?s=21

Hope the link above works!

Henry normally talks sense but what he’s written here is just utter tosh.
In what way have Leeds fans suffered more than so many other clubs?
Clearly he wants the Prem to be the preserve of clubs which a minimum size of fan base, stadium etc aside from suffering a few struggles in the process of supporting their team!
Very sad when someone like Winter is now following this narrative!

Comments

• The article is behind a paywall. I can guess the thrust of it. The big mistake is the the headline "Why the FAPL needs Leeds". As many pointed out on Twitter, that is patently wrong, but actually the journos don't write the headlines, that's a sub-editor's work. 
  • Ok thanks for clarifying PA.
    i admit to not reading the full article because of not wanting to pay of course.
    Winter did express the view from his Twitter account that Leeds fans had suffered a lot. No more than a number of others as we know all too well eh?
  • if anything they haven't suffered enough. think they should of been docked points for the spygate scandal. 
  • Thanks for the full link @Red_in_SE8.

I guess it's OK, but a bit hard to stomach in places.  You could equally easily write a similar article about Sunderland.They had 34,000 on Saturday. It's also fair to say that other clubs in our division regard us as "big", as they do Portsmouth.
  • I guess we can now add Ipswich to the list. Another club with a great domestic history and a touch of European too.
  • I don't agree with the article but i'd love to see Leeds back in the Premier League - Huge club - the premier league have so many dross teams nowadays. The likes of Bournemouth, Cardiff, Brighton, Palace, Huddersfield & Burnley can all get in the bin. 

Bring back Villa, Leeds, Blackburn, Notts Forest, Portsmouth & preferably us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Not to mention Huddersfield and Burnley have won the First Division!!
  • I'm not for one second begrudging the teams that get promoted from playing in the Premier League - its just from a neutral point of view very difficult to get excited about watching Bournemouth vs Cardiff for example.

If that was instead Leeds vs Aston Villa thats automatically much more appealing to me. I would much rather watch the Championship most of time nowadays as there so many dull premier league teams
  • I'm not for one second begrudging the teams that get promoted from playing in the Premier League - its just from a neutral point of view very difficult to get excited about watching Bournemouth vs Cardiff for example.

If that was instead Leeds vs Aston Villa thats automatically much more appealing to me. I would much rather watch the Championship most of time nowadays as there so many dull premier league teams
    I dont think its the teams in the Premier League that make it dull I think its the League / Money as a whole that makes it like that

Teams are too scared of playing with freedom at times in the top flight (especially when its Bournemouth v Cardiff like you say) because a loss can be huge in terms of safety - Defeat means a greater chance of risk of a Manager being sacked and relegation being the ultimate price, much easier to shut up shop and keep it tight to preserve that

The Football League is open shop on the other hand, partly because the loan market can randomly elevate a team who arent normally challengers (Huddersfield / Shrewsbury) yet also because if teams dont make the effort to win games, they wont ever get the Premier League riches - Of course I imagine you get the dull games like Rochdale v Gillingham (just a game at random) as they'll be looking to avoid relegation, but to go down a level this far down isnt as costly, more so for the players who are fighting for their financial lives which again adds to the dedication and determination from a lot of teams
  • if anything they haven't suffered enough. think they should of been docked points for the spygate scandal. 
    Consider yourself flagged.
  • Greenie said:
    if anything they haven't suffered enough. think they should of been docked points for the spygate scandal. 
    Consider yourself flagged.
    That's his bad.

What about Brighton V Cardiff tonight? Given the choice between watching that match or, say West Ham versus Everton, which would be the more exciting or interesting game in your view? 

What about Brighton V Cardiff tonight? Given the choice between watching that match or, say West Ham versus Everton, which would be the more exciting or interesting game in your view? 

Who knows? How many 'exciting' games have West Ham and Everton been involved in this season? Admittedly Brighton and Cardiff are 'unfashionable' compared to the likes of Man City, L'pool, Chelsea and say Spurs. However this is one of the reasons why the Premier League has become so bland and bloody predictable; only the richest most powerful clubs stand a chance of winning it  - oh, wait a minute, almost forgot about Leicester! When they won it they were great to watch - and it was also very exciting.

At the business end of the season obviously Brighton vs Cardiff because they have something to play for still (i'll be watching the champions league mind you). But i would pick West Ham Vs Everton every time if it was early/mid point of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Winter is just expressing an opinion even if he has got a bit too hagiographic and over emotional. Leeds is at the heart of Yorkshire, a county which has suffered greatly over the past two decades with the closure of coal mines and the associated industries built around mining. The city is undergoing something of a renaissance as is the football club which is playing some superb football under the eccentric but brilliant coaching of Bielsa. Yorkshire needs a premier team. If Leeds don't get promoted this season, with the demise of Huddersfield, the county will not have a top strata team next season.

RUGBY HATERS LOOK AWAY NOW .. In the same newspaper there is also an article by the 'Times' rugby union correspondent about the demise of Yorkshire rugby union which has to compete against both football and rugby league for fans and money. Whilst recognising that market forces and attractiveness rule any industry, especially sports, it would be a pity if Yorkshire were to become a RU wasteland, especially as over the years 1 in 7 England RU internationals was Yorkshire born.  
  •  Yorkshire needs a premier team.
    Why? What's so special about Yorkshire?
  • The bigger teams don’t always give you better games. Quite often they are dull. 
    The recent Watford v Wolves cup semi is an example of how good a game can be even if not the first choice for neutrals.
  • edited April 2019
    Uboat said:
     Yorkshire needs a premier team.
    Why? What's so special about Yorkshire?
    Ask a Yorkshireman that and he'll tell you it's Gods own country, best of luck with your reply  ;) .
  • A Gooner fan ---- says it all

As for Yorkshire it and they can feck themselves

• There is still a chance Yorkshire could have a top flight team or two but maybe with luck, it won’t be dirty Leeds. I like seeing them trip up. 
    As for the Gods own country, if there is a god, he’d be cracking up. Not His best work.