Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tunnel Jump genesis

Have a Norwich fan staying with us who went to the game.

He asked "what was that jump thing they do at the end?

When exactly did it start and who first did it?

Comments

• Who started has to be either Kinsella (dont know why I say him) or Chris Powell surely
  • I am not sure.. was it Powelly that started it?  Then Jackson took it on?? 
  • For some reason I’ve always thought it was John Robinson that started it
  • Was it matt holland?
  • Think it may have been Powell, but I’m also thinking of Kins for some reason. 
  • Chris Powell 
  • I'm sure it was Kinsella, though he didn't jump, he'd give a great big fist pump.  I like the way it's changed and reinvented itself over the years.  Chris Powell used to do it after every win as manager.  It was probably Rob Elliot who turned it into a jump.  It nearly got forgotten about when the team was full of Roland eurotwats and we never won a game, but thankfully it's back and we get to see it regularly now.
  • Didn't Powell start it when we won promotion away at Blackburn then pursued it after heavy demanad?

• Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:
    I'm sure it was Kinsella, though he didn't jump, he'd give a great big fist pump.  I like the way it's changed and reinvented itself over the years.  Chris Powell used to do it after every win as manager.  It was probably Rob Elliot who turned it into a jump.  It nearly got forgotten about when the team was full of Roland eurotwats and we never won a game, but thankfully it's back and we get to see it regularly now.
    Chris Powell did it as a player, too.

I believe it started in the 2000 season when we won the old First Division.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    Didn't Powell start it when we won promotion away at Blackburn then pursued it after heavy demanad?

Sounds about right.
  • According to @LenGlover in March 2014, the originator of the tunnel jump was Chris Powell (by implication, from when he was a player)  There are various other references on this thread:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1792812/#Comment_1792812
  • It was started by Mark Kinsella. 
  • Kinsella may have done it. I don't know, but I don't remember seeing him do it. I'm absolutely certain though that it was Christ Powell that established it as a regular feature.
  • LenGlover said:
    Stig said:
    Kinsella may have done it. I don't know, but I don't remember seeing him do it. I'm absolutely certain though that it was Christ Powell that established it as a regular feature.
    That's one hell of a promotion!
    I thought Robert Powell was Jesus....
    Keep it in the family.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m sure It was started with the “heave-ho” - a post match gee up to the fans by Mark Kinsella. 
  • edited April 2019
    Today on Igor's second jump he was followed by Lyle and Naby.

Is 3 a record in Tunnel jump history ?
    (Not including the great escape)
  • I thought Cory Gibbs did the first tunnel jump on his debut and did his ACL injury.
  • I thought Cory Gibbs did the first tunnel jump on his debut and did his ACL injury.
    For Gawds sake don't let Page do it when he returns to the team then :wink:
  • edited April 2019
    Chizz said:
    It was started by Mark Kinsella. 
    As a fist pump in front of the covered end then taken up by powell as tunnel jump.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    Didn't Powell start it when we won promotion away at Blackburn then pursued it after heavy demanad?

This. I can confirm it as an eye witness. 

The first tunnel jump was at Ewood Park in 2000. It was Chris Powell. We actually only drew but Man City (remember them kids?) dropped points elsewhere meaning we won the Division 1 title that day. Powell was just so bloody happy he didn’t want the celebrations to end and dragged them out by jumping out of the tunnel to cheers from the away end. 

Not sure when it became a tradition at the Valley, it was some years later I think, but it was Powell who brought it back. 
    Chris Powell did the first tunnel jump three weeks before the Blackburn game in the Cup win at Highfield Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVOyM9ZV74

• The funniest one was powell dressed up as a mascot and Williams doing it when all the fracas was going in the tunnel after the Accrington game.