Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*Done Deal - Left Back Ben Purrington on loan from Rotherham*

Comments

• He is exactly what Bowyer said he was. 7/10 every game. He attacking side has definitely improved since he came and he is only young - plenty of time for further improvements
  • I think his height has been a benefit too, especially in physical "hoof ball" battles like last night.
  • First and foremost he’s a defender and he’s been very good as part of our defensive unit.
  • Frustrates me that he doesn't get his crosses in earlier (but that has been a general complaint recently not just specific to Purrington), but apart from that he's been decent. Our defensive record since he's come in speaks for itself, although he's not the only new player in the defence during that period. Would sign him permanently if we stay in League 1, would probably would look elsewhere if we are promoted.
  • Given where Rotherham are they must have a very good left back pulling up trees every week to be in a position  to loan Ben Purrington to us.

Very capable at this level and young enough to step up to the next too in my opinion.

• His Defending is 8.5/10, his attacking play is 5/10 - I imagine that is why people get annoyed with him. Personally I think he is excellent 
    Don’t agree he is an 8.5 defender, solid but not great IMO. 

We now now have a really good defence, Phillips, Bauer and Sarr have been excellent over the last couple of months and the two full backs are solid. They don’t full forward that well and that has created a lack of width which has contributed to our lack of creativity. 

We are definitely reliant on clean sheets and 1-0s like last night. To go up we need that to carry on but getting some form out of Igor will be a huge help. 
  • Crosses are only worthwhile if there is somebody in the box. Taylor & Other are often playing out wide.
  • edited April 2019
    Crusty54 said:
    Crosses are only worthwhile if there is somebody in the box. Taylor & Other are often playing out wide.
    It's not just crosses though his first thought normally is sideways or backwards. Not disputing that he has given us balance and been an integral part of the solid defence since he signed but attacking / offensively minded he ain't. And without reworking his average marks in the statbank I reckon he's over 6 but not a 7 even allowing for rounding up. Steady Eddie L1 is his level otherwise he would have played for championship Rotherham this season.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Crosses are only worthwhile if there is somebody in the box. Taylor & Other are often playing out wide.
    Maybe because we don’t have any other width? 
  • He is exactly what we needed and gives so much balance to the team. 

He does exactly what bowyer said steady 7 each week 
  • Sponsored links:

• He is exactly what we needed and gives so much balance to the team. 

Just, by the skin of his teeth! He's made 14 appearances including last night mate totalling 90.31 giving an average 6.45 per game 😉.
  • Crusty54 said:
    But strikers can't make their runs if they don't know the ball will come in because they will likely end up offside when the ball does come in. Early crosses are, imo, important for two reasons. 1) because they get the ball into the danger area before defenders are set, and before midfielders have dropped deep, usually meaning there is more space for forwards and the ball into the box does not need to be so pinpoint accurate to reach them. It also increases the chance of a defender who is off balance, out of position, or a bit unsure where his man is will make a mistake. 2) It allows forwards to run onto the cross, if they know the ball will be coming in at the earliest opportunity it makes it easier to time the run and encourages them to gamble, and a running jump gives them an advantage over defenders and allows more power to be generated on any headers won. That doesn't mean tossing the ball in aimlessly from 50 yards out, but once a player has a sight of a decent crossing angle, just get it in the box, idealy first time or just take a touch to get that half yard on the full back and swing the cross in, no need to try and completely beat the full back every time. I would say, that in recent games we have done much much better at this, and I would also argue it has helped us score a number of important goals. last night's effort, Taylor's on Saturday, and Reeves' vs Burton being perfect examples.
  • RedChaser said:
    He is exactly what we needed and gives so much balance to the team. 

Just, by the skin of his teeth! He's made 14 appearances including last night mate totalling 90.31 giving an average 6.45 per game 😉.
    Same as Solly then.
  • Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:

Same as Solly then.
    Not quite, Solly is 6.49 over the whole season.
  • There was a moment on the Saturday highlights, winger in last third, he was closest 10 yards deeper and backpedaled as the guy attacked. Not good defending. Wiggins let fewer crosses over in a season than him in a match.
  • RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:

Same as Solly then.
    So Unlike Solly he had to play his way into a new team playing a different style of football. Plus of course we all love Solly and we haven’t got a decent fall guy.

He is a better player than many make out. 

I am am just grateful he came to us in January. We would be a lot worse off without him. Don’t think he has been injured either. Very refreshing.

• There was a moment on the Saturday highlights, winger in last third, he was closest 10 yards deeper and backpedaled as the guy attacked. Not good defending. Wiggins let fewer crosses over in a season than him in a match.
    Wiggins, but for injury, would have played Premier league football. He had both the pace and the ability.

• edited April 2019
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:

Same as Solly then.
    So Unlike Solly he had to play his way into a new team playing a different style of football. Plus of course we all love Solly and we haven’t got a decent fall guy.

He is a better player than many make out. 

I am am just grateful he came to us in January. We would be a lot worse off without him. Don’t think he has been injured either. Very refreshing.

I'm not sure what Solly has to do with my earlier post however as you have compared them let's not forget that he had to play on his unnatural side as a left back for a number of games until Purrington was signed. Nothing to do with fall guys or scapegoats, If credit is due I will give it and vice versa if someone is worthy of criticism.

I would agree with most of your last paragraph, however I do find him very frustrating when he's on the ball with an opportunity to go forwards which more often than not he doesn't do so. As I said earlier he's given us balance and been an integral part of the defensive unit since his début at Shrewsbury which I went to on 12 January. 
  • edited April 2019
    Crusty54 said:
    But strikers can't make their runs if they don't know the ball will come in because they will likely end up offside when the ball does come in. Early crosses are, imo, important for two reasons. 1) because they get the ball into the danger area before defenders are set, and before midfielders have dropped deep, usually meaning there is more space for forwards and the ball into the box does not need to be so pinpoint accurate to reach them. It also increases the chance of a defender who is off balance, out of position, or a bit unsure where his man is will make a mistake. 2) It allows forwards to run onto the cross, if they know the ball will be coming in at the earliest opportunity it makes it easier to time the run and encourages them to gamble, and a running jump gives them an advantage over defenders and allows more power to be generated on any headers won. That doesn't mean tossing the ball in aimlessly from 50 yards out, but once a player has a sight of a decent crossing angle, just get it in the box, idealy first time or just take a touch to get that half yard on the full back and swing the cross in, no need to try and completely beat the full back every time. I would say, that in recent games we have done much much better at this, and I would also argue it has helped us score a number of important goals. last night's effort, Taylor's on Saturday, and Reeves' vs Burton being perfect examples.
    That’s proper analysis that is. 
  • Ben “Underrated” Purrington.
  • Sponsored links:

• Purrington is a decent defender at L1 level - if he was so terrible we'd be conceding a lot more goals.

I'm more concerned about his defensive qualities rather than how good he is going forward. We're not playing particularly flowing football so having an attacking full back is not for me a great priority.

I wasn't a great fan of Dasilva as a defender and he seemed to get targetted by opposing sides when he played for us. He was good going forward and had pace but defensively needed to improve - it's possible he's suited to a more attacking side and maybe Bristol City is a better fit.
  • Only one booking so far for us, which tells me his defending is very clean. Sort of the anti-Muscat
  • Not that he's a wimp! It just means he isn't dirty 
  • Bang average. 
  • If Page gets up to full fitness would people want Purrington dropped? 
  • You can tell he has slotted in very well, not just from his performances but the performances of the team. 
  • Purrington obviously gets the rest of the season no matter what
  • Talal said:
    If Page gets up to full fitness would people want Purrington dropped? 
    Won't be an issue this season.