Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland Worried?

Great result tonight and good to see we are putting pressure on the front runners.  Sunderland have such a difficult run in and if they drop points like tonight the pressure will build on them as favourites.
  Here's a link to their forum https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlton.1469310/page-2

Comments

• All three are doing this right about now...

• Portsmouth have a bigger chance than us. 2nd in form league behind us.

Sunderland GD may settle it though.

Exiting times though as everyone may bottle it ....

Win Saturday and they will all bottle it a bit more...
  • It’s very easy, we’ve just got to keep winning other teams will drop points.

I Do wonder if we will end up with a situation at the end of the season with 3 teams getting 90 plus points, and one of them not getting promoted, I really hope it’s not us!
  • It’s very easy, we’ve just got to keep winning other teams will drop points.

I Do wonder if we will end up with a situation at the end of the season with 3 teams getting 90 plus points, and one of them not getting promoted, I really hope it’s not us!
    We need to win all 5 remaining to get 91 points, which won't happen
  • Dont think so...I would swap places with their position any day . Cant see us beating Luton Saturday.
  • edited April 2019
    Dont think so...I would swap places with their position any day . Cant see us beating Luton Saturday.
    I think and hope we beat Luton, sure they are flying, but I think professional pride will kick in, and the players will want to show they can beat them.

They are going to have to put in a heck of a shift though, and have a decent game plan, subs, tactics and team selection have got to be spot on, mixed in with a big dose of good fortune and a rock solid defence.
  • Win every game to end of season and we're up! Simple
  • I just done a predictor for the final table and it came out with Luton on 96, then us, Barnsley, Pompey and Sunderland all on 89, with us finishing 5th purely because of goal difference, and Sunderland going up due to scoring one more goal than Barnsley 
  • Luton will be tough but has got to be worth the 21/10 being offered by Bet365?
  • Oxford will be a tough game as well, they're in good form at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could see us playing Barnsley in the play offs. Just don't think we'll get top 2 unfortunately.
  • BR3red said:
    Portsmouth have a bigger chance than us. 2nd in form league behind us.

Sunderland GD may settle it though.

Exiting times though as everyone may bottle it ....

Win Saturday and they will all bottle it a bit more...
    Will come down to final day and Sunderland v Portsmouth in my opinion. I fancy Portsmouth to do it.
  • Luton are beatable on Saturday, they are all but promoted already and the game means more to us than to them.

So gutting that we threw away leads at both Sunderland and Luton - that could be the difference come seasons end.
  • I'm not going to get excited until the Gills game. Bogey side for us at their place.....and on that day Pompey are playing Sunderland. Let's see where we all are at 5pm on the 27th.
  • Posted this on the post-match thread, but it probably belongs here:
    This Saturday could be extremely significant.
    Sunderland, Barnsley, Portsmouth and Charlton are all at home playing Coventry, Fleetwood, Rochdale and Luton respectively,
    On paper, we’re the only one of these home teams who wouldn’t expect to win.
    If we fail to win, then automatic promotion is almost out of reach, regardless of other results. Similarly, if the other three win, we’re pretty much out of it whatever we do. In either of these scenarios, we’d be relying on too many favours from too many rivals in too few games.
    However, if we do win and one or two (or even all three?) of the others slip up, then the door is open. Odds are against us, but it’s not over yet!
    One thing is for sure, if we beat Luton, you can guarantee the fans of the other teams (and Doncaster, Peterborough etc) will be saying that they want to avoid us in the Playoffs.

• All three are doing this right about now...

Hey yelled at me once! Was really pissed. He was in line at a burger place in Napa and was on the phone. I kept looking at him thinking... is that Warren Sapp??? He noticed, put his phone down, glared at me and said "Something I can help you with!!???" Hahaha.
  • Losing to them of the first day of the season, will cost us.
  • if we had karlen still, we would be getting promoted.. simple as that really. 
  • That opening day defeat will cost us the autos 
  • Luton will be tough but has got to be worth the 21/10 being offered by Bet365?
    80 total goals scored this season and a 28 League unbeaten run, during which time they have let in just 16 goals, all confirms that Luton are the best team in the division. 

Against that, Collins, their top scorer with 22 League goals, will be suspended. We have a defence that has conceded just 8 goals in the last 16 matches and never more than one in a match in that time. 

So we could sneak it. But I wouldn't bet on it. And a 1-1 draw at 11/2 makes more appeal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Luton are beatable on Saturday, they are all but promoted already and the game means more to us than to them.

So gutting that we threw away leads at both Sunderland and Luton - that could be the difference come seasons end.
    Based on what? They haven't lost for 28 games, are unbeaten away in 6 months and unbeaten at home for 14 months and are going for promotion too. Ok they're in a far more comfortable position but they're hardly likely to turn up and roll over just because they're almost there. If they lose 2 games, they'll have 2-3 clubs right on their tail.

The big plus for us is that i think their 2 main strikers are out, but the fact they've just rolled on after Jones went to Stoke, tells you they have a good playing system that works well.

For us to get 2nd it's pretty clear we need to win all our last 5 games. On top of that we need Barnsley win no more than 3 of their 5 and ideally Sunderland v Portsmouth to end in a draw.
  • I know these things supposedly 'average out over a season' but the 3 points dropped due to that farcical Peterborough penalty plus Grant's penalty miss away to Peterborough will likely cost us.
  • cabbles said:
    Really exciting run in at the top and bottom now.  League One is going to go down to the final day at both ends imo 

interestingly, if we beat Luton and Sunderland win, they’re still very much able to go up as Champions.  There’s a lot permutations and if we win all 5 of our games, there’s a decent chance we can go up in the top 2, but it’s a mammoth undertaking.  The Luton/Sunderland swapping places would be a good example.  Luton are on 87 pts, so only need 5 pts from 5 games to better our total regardless of us winning all our games.  Stating the obvious, but we probably need Sunderland to lose 3 out of those 6 or draw 5 of them.....it’s very, very improbable.  Add to that Pompey’s form being on par with ours and although my heart dreams of some absolute scenes at home to Rochdale on May 5th, it will be just out of our reach 

one thing is for sure, I would never in a million years have believed such a team spirit and togetherness was possible under RD.  Bowyer and the boys are heroes for me 
    Sunderland's achilles heel is their inability to convert draws into wins. Their fans will be tearing their hair out if they don't go up but end up playing 49 matches having lost just twice in 90 minutes - especially if Doncaster get promoted having lost a dozen or so times!
  • FFS, where do all these doom and gloom merchants come from ?

We only need to concern ourselves with winning each game as it comes and let the other teams do the worrying and navel searching about where it all went wrong. It’s going right for Charlton
  • Got to stop keep saying we miss Grant. Since he left we have played 11 and lost one.  We’ve picked up 22 points at an average of 2 a game. In the 11 games before he left we won six, drew 2 and lost 3. Only 20 points. Goals scored have fallen from 16 to 12 over that period, but goals conceded have also fallen, fallen from 9 to 6. 
    The most amazing thing is that the recent run of form hasn’t changed our league position. As much as it would be nice to finish top 2, it is highly unlikely the 3 teams above us will all start dropping points. Finishing 3rd or 4th would get us an away tie in the semi final 1st leg. I think we can all look forward to a lovely early summers sunny day out at Wembley against Sunderland. Just like 1998 they will think they only have to turn up. 
  • edited April 2019
    I know these things supposedly 'average out over a season' but the 3 points dropped due to that farcical Peterborough penalty plus Grant's penalty miss away to Peterborough will likely cost us.

No dig against you but Grant's miss against Peterborough is beginning to piss me right off - i.e. Why is no one talking about the Rochdale game when Taylor had a penalty saved that day too, and we got nothing from that game thanks to that!!

At the same time though I'd still love the FA to explain why they refused to rescind Taylor's red card - By refusing to comment on the reason for me says they dont have a reason and that was just as costly as the Peterborough penalty at the start of the season which was also given for reasons that the referee couldnt explain

• bobmunro said:
    We are talking about the games we lost that might cost us - what about the games we've won where, to be honest, we didn't deserve to? A 46 games season levels out the good and bad luck. If we get an automatic, we deserve it - if we finish in the play-offs then, over a 46 game season we deserve it.
    This.
    What might have been is such a dead end.