Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A bit of tecchie advice - Re Google searches

Does anybody know if I can turn off the paid ads and irrelevant crap when searching with Google?  I've tried all the settings but none seem to apply, I've even Googled it!!!!

I've been searching for some specific guitar strings, and each time I get the page up it suddenly disappears and I get all the paid crap from Amazon, Viagogo and some not even related to the search then can't see the results I wanted.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Clear/ delete cookies

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%

Beware if you clear all settings other than cookies it will delete your login for websites ie Charlton Life meaning you'll need to log in again. 
  • You should also always clear them if you've been browsing hotel or flight bookings before you actually make the purchase otherwise you may pay a higher price.
  • Clear/ delete cookies

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%

Beware if you clear all settings other than cookies it will delete your login for websites ie Charlton Life meaning you'll need to log in again. 

Yes, I do that out of principle but even deleting the cookies I get the same results. It's always the paid crap appearing.  Same with flight bookings, learnt that one with Easyjet sometime ago. Thanks.
  • I'm using Firefox with delete history and cookies on closure.
  • Not sure sorry mate. Someone in the know with IT should be able to help as I'm pretty green with computers.

Would have thought clearing and deleting all caches and cookies etc would do the job (it does on chrome) but not sure about Firefox 
  • My colleague recommended using DuckDuckgo as a search engine as it does not track usage and protects privacy
  • Not sure sorry mate. Someone in the know with IT should be able to help as I'm pretty green with computers.

Would have thought clearing and deleting all caches and cookies etc would do the job (it does on chrome) but not sure about Firefox 

Thanks anyway.
  • Sark99 said:
    My colleague recommended using DuckDuckgo as a search engine as it does not track usage and protects privacy

Hmm yes, that worked. Still got an Amazon ad at the top, but I suppose it's the money talking here.

Cheers

• You say the page you want suddenly disappears. So is it behind other pop up Windows.
    A screen shot or picture would be useful so we can see what you see.
  • You say the page you want suddenly disappears. So is it behind other pop up Windows.
    A screen shot or picture would be useful so we can see what you see.

No, that's the problem, there is only one window.  The other paid stuff seems to replace the original page which first appears. It happens so quick I doubt if I'd get a screen shot.

• Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Ok, this is what first comes up, which is what I'm actually looking for, but after a second or so, all the other adds appear over the top and this is nowhere to be found, not even in another window.

I suspect there's a setting somewhere in Google or Firefox to stop this but can't find it.

• You just need to scroll down mate.

this is how google et al make their money.

No adverts,no search engines.
  • edited April 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    You just need to scroll down mate.

this is how google et al make their money.

No adverts,no search engines.

Jumps back to the page with paid ads on each time. Fucking Google!!

• those ads will always be at the top the page.

When you scroll down should just have the normal search results surely - not sure what you mean by jumps back to the page with ads.

I have done same search

top of the page

then scroll down the page further and you get more search results

• edited April 2019
    Might be worth checking to see if your browser has been hijacked. My Step Mum had a similar issue and when I checked, she'd downloaded some other browser software by clicking Yes somewhere without reading! 

I'm not massively techy but I managed to figure it out on her laptop. A quick Google (!) has found this, which might help:

https://evolvit.co.uk/it-support-bristol/how-to-rescue-your-browser-from-being-hijacked/
  • MrOneLung said:
    those ads will always be at the top the page.

When you scroll down should just have the normal search results surely - not sure what you mean by jumps back to the page with ads.

I have done same search

top of the page

then scroll down the page further and you get more search results

Thanks for that.