Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Masquerade - the Treasure hunt that gripped a nation

What a fascinating story. I never even knew this book existed!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47671776

Comments

• think George Benson had a hit record about it
  • I remember buying that book ... beautiful artwork. 

Hadn’t realised it it was so long ago! 
  • I remember this & believe that we bought the book for Mr F's Dad one Christmas as he liked puzzles and was very difficult to buy for.

It was a beautiful hard back book with fantastic, complicated illustrations - worth having in its own right regardless of the valuable prize it tempted the reader with finding.

I'm unsure how much attention Dad in Law paid to the book and sadly, we didn't find it when clearing out the house after he and Mum in Law passed away. 

I wish we had located the tome as it would be a source of interest for our grandkids.....or maybe not ! 
  • ...well that's made me feel positively ancient. 40 years!
  • think George Benson had a hit record about it
    I thought it was The Skids.
  • I used to go to a rockabilly club every month in Parkside Hall, Ampthill. Had no idea how close I was to that hare on so many occasions.   
  • I remember this from my childhood.

Sad that it was 'solved' by someone who was friends with the authors ex-girlfriend of the time.
  • edited April 2019
    Wasn't it some kind of trick or hoax. I remember following it in the press at the time but was a bit of a damp squib when it was found.

Edit...

Just read the BBC report in the link. ....
  • Those pictures scared the shit out of me as a child. 
  • edited April 2019
    I remember this & believe that we bought the book for Mr F's Dad one Christmas as he liked puzzles and was very difficult to buy for.

It was a beautiful hard back book with fantastic, complicated illustrations - worth having in its own right regardless of the valuable prize it tempted the reader with finding.

I'm unsure how much attention Dad in Law paid to the book and sadly, we didn't find it when clearing out the house after he and Mum in Law passed away. 

I wish we had located the tome as it would be a source of interest for our grandkids.....or maybe not ! 
    I got one from Ebay for about a tenner, but I notice they're more like £20+ at the moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• My parents had a copy, loved looking for the hares in the pictures. Having seen the solution, I'd never work that out in a million years
  • Vaguely remember it. I think my mum and her workmates had a passing interest in it. Never the slightest hope they'd solve it though.