Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Take Me Home Country Roads

Do you prefer the West Virginia original version by John Denver or the West Jamaica cover by Toots and the Maytals?

No other versions considered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yzriHohCOU

Comments

• Hermes House Band.
  • Toots by default, the Denver version is an abomination
  • As much as I love Toots, John Denver for me. My dad was a big fan and I've got fond memories of him playing his records on a Sunday morning when I was a kid. Then at lunchtime he'd take me and my uncle off to The Woodman in his Austin Cambridge for a couple of pints before dinner.

• as to be mi bredren Toots
  • McBobbin said:
    Toots by default, the Denver version is an abomination
    This times one billion-trillion-squillion-trazagabillion.
  • Toots Hibbert. No argument.
  • No argument ... Toots 
  • John Denver
  • Lots of Toots fans, surprised that more people don't rate the Denver original which me and Lady Irving sang in the car while driving through West Virginia
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of Toots fans, surprised that more people don't rate the Denver original which me and Lady Irving sang in the car while driving through West Virginia

How weird! Similar thing for me and the missus. Driving down the Shenandoah Valley back in 2003 and it came on the radio! Have always been a massive JD fan and went to see him in concert whenever he came over.

Far out man!!

• Do you want to hear my version?  There are several different clips of me wailing this over the years.  All far superior to the above!
  • John Denver
  • Curb_It said:
    Do you want to hear my version?  There are several different clips of me wailing this over the years.  All far superior to the above!
    yes please
  • addick05 said:
    Lots of Toots fans, surprised that more people don't rate the Denver original which me and Lady Irving sang in the car while driving through West Virginia

How weird! Similar thing for me and the missus. Driving down the Shenandoah Valley back in 2003 and it came on the radio! Have always been a massive JD fan and went to see him in concert whenever he came over.

Far out man!!

We drove down the Shenandaoh Valley SO we could sing the song!
  • You can't beat a bit of Toots. 
  • Toots for me too.
    Anything by Toots Hibbert floats my boat, but having said that this was the first song I ever learned to play on guitar and will always watch JD play it when the chance arises.
  • Curb_It said:
    Do you want to hear my version?  There are several different clips of me wailing this over the years.  All far superior to the above!

Open mic, B?

• I always preferred the Mike Masters and the Music Makers lyrics -
    Take me home
    Jonty Rhodes
    To the veldt of Transvaal
    Orange Free State
    Good oold Joburg
    Take me home
    Jonty Rhodes
  • Sponsored links:

• Not as easy as many of these for me. I much prefer generally Toots and the Maytals style but on this track, the Denver original takes me back to my dad’s LPs and the female counter harmony does it for me every time.

A reluctant John Denver. 
  • C&W is another easily dismissed and underestimated musical genre, like jazz maybe, both wrongly in my view.
    However this is an easy pick, Toots is irresistible and wins this one for me.
  • John Denver all day every day. 
  • I'm a big reggae fan but Denver gets this one for me.
    That sounds cool. Closest i have come to that is driving along in the sunshine with a vest on singing UB40 Kingston Town. And yes i was on the way to Sutton
  • Toots version for me aswell
  • Listened to them both. Equally great. I'm abstaining.
  • edited March 2019
    Lots of Toots fans, surprised that more people don't rate the Denver original which me and Lady Irving sang in the car while driving through West Virginia
    That sounds cool. Closest i have come to that is driving along in the sunshine with a vest on singing UB40 Kingston Town. And yes i was on the way to Sutton
    Weird coincidence. There was a UB40 documentary on a couple of weeks ago, which I recorded.
    I watched it today and was then playing Kingston Town a couple of hours ago.
    Interesting documenatry btw. 

• edited March 2019
    Weird coincidence. There was a UB40 documentary on a couple of weeks ago, which I recorded.

Seeing them at the O2 next Saturday - well Ali's half (bit more than half!).
  • edited March 2019
    bobmunro said:

Seeing them at the O2 next Saturday - well Ali's half (bit more than half!).
    They are/were all bankrupt/skint brassic.
    All the money went and no one knows where.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b084j56n/promises-lies-the-story-of-ub40