Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would a tree surgeon know another tree surgeon, had previously got caught in a neighbour dispute ?

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Ok, I'm going to attack my wife's bush. 
    I'll be back on later.

• No reply from yesterday's e mail.

I sent another this morning adding that if the tree pruning did not resolve the issue (as it didn't last time),
    then I would have to resolve the issue myself.

Still no reply.

I'll go out to the back garden in a while with the electric hedge cutter :smile:
    No disrespect CE but they live next door to you, why email?

You may have noticed on an earlier post I made up top that my sister in law had a problem as well as myself. I detailed the sis in law more than my side so this is what I did.

I had a large front garden in a property I used to live in and my left hand fence as I looked out was in fact the rear fences of houses that were in a adjoining street.

One of these neighbours had a tree approx 12' high that was leaning badly into my front garden, so much so that the people we bought the house from had replaced the original fence panel with a modified one with a slot cut in it so the trunk did not bow or damage the fence.

After a couple of years the tree leaned even more, so much so it was practically in my garden apart from the first 2 or 3 feet of trunk.

I went and knocked on the door to discuss and was told by the wife "that her husband deals with things like this and he is at work" I asked her if she could get him to call round and discuss.

A few weeks passed and no visit so I went and knocked again and went through the same conversation and a couple more weeks passed and still no visit.

We had a log burner in this house and the bloke I bought my logs off also did tree felling so I asked him to cut it down level with the boundary and replace the fence panel with a full panel i.e. no slot in it.

The work was done and all the neighbour had left in his garden was 2 or 3 feet of bare stump sticking up and and surprise, surprise the husband knocked on my door that very evening. 

He was ranting and raving saying I had broken the law and he was going to report me to the police, the council and his solicitor. Guess what I sold the house three years after the event and I heard diddly squat from nobody.

If you can prove you have spoken to them and given them fair warning before you cut it down you will be fine. 

• An email is a good idea. If CE has to resort to the law he'll have a record of whats gone on.
    Photos of the top  of his car and of the offending tree are also useful.
  • edited March 2019
    No reply from yesterday's e mail.

I sent another this morning adding that if the tree pruning did not resolve the issue (as it didn't last time),

Still no reply.

I'll go out to the back garden in a while with the electric hedge cutter :smile:

You may have noticed on an earlier post I made up top that my sister in law had a problem as well as myself. I detailed the sis in law more than my side so this is what I did.

I had a large front garden in a property I used to live in and my left hand fence as I looked out was in fact the rear fences of houses that were in a adjoining street.

One of these neighbours had a tree approx 12' high that was leaning badly into my front garden, so much so that the people we bought the house from had replaced the original fence panel with a modified one with a slot cut in it so the trunk did not bow or damage the fence.

After a couple of years the tree leaned even more, so much so it was practically in my garden apart from the first 2 or 3 feet of trunk.

I went and knocked on the door to discuss and was told by the wife "that her husband deals with things like this and he is at work" I asked her if she could get him to call round and discuss.

A few weeks passed and no visit so I went and knocked again and went through the same conversation and a couple more weeks passed and still no visit.

We had a log burner in this house and the bloke I bought my logs off also did tree felling so I asked him to cut it down level with the boundary and replace the fence panel with a full panel i.e. no slot in it.

The work was done and all the neighbour had left in his garden was 2 or 3 feet of bare stump sticking up and and surprise, surprise the husband knocked on my door that very evening. 

He was ranting and raving saying I had broken the law and he was going to report me to the police, the council and his solicitor. Guess what I sold the house three years after the event and I heard diddly squat from nobody.

If you can prove you have spoken to them and given them fair warning before you cut it down you will be fine. 

I thought I'd already said it (can't be bothered to check).

I've spoken to him on numerous occasions over the years and especially in the last few months & his only response was sorry.

He did promise to arrange to get it cut on the 24th February.
    I moved my car on each occasion 400 metres away, as our road has parking restrictions.

Surgeon didn't turn up on the first weekend.
    Surgeon didn't arrive due to debatable bad weather on the next 2 weekends.

Then the surgeon didn't turn up/pulled out on the 4th weekend, because he'd allegedly heard about the dispute 5 years ago.
    Last weekend nothing happened.

This was why I asked on here whether people thought I was being fed bullshit.

He did have different surgeons round to quote this weekend.
    Bearing in mind he knows how angry I am, I'm surprised he had communicated nothing by Sunday evening.
    I feel the onus was on him to update me, not me to keep chasing him, which he may well feel is harassment.

So I e mailed him saying he had 4 weeks to sort it or I will.
    I've still heard nothing.
    My only concern is the tree could fall onto his car/house if I cut it back to the boundary.

Still no reply.

I've spoken to him on numerous occasions over the years and especially in the last few months & his only response was sorry.

I moved my car on each occasion 400 metres away, as our road has parking restrictions.

Then the surgeon didn't turn up/pulled out on the 4th weekend, because he'd allegedly heard about the dispute 5 years ago.

Bearing in mind he knows how angry I am, I'm surprised he had communicated nothing by Sunday evening.
    I feel the onus was on him to update me, not me to keep chasing him, which he may well feel is harassment.

My only concern is the tree could fall onto his car/house if I cut it back to the boundary.
    Can I suggest the relocation thread CE
  • edited March 2019
    No reply from yesterday's e mail.

Still no reply.

I think you've been more than reasonable CE, apologies if I've missed it but is there anything actually stopping the whole tree being removed like potential structural damage to either property from the roots? It looks far too big to be that close to a house in a residential area while the tree in front is at least further away from the houses.

It comes across as your neighbours not wanting to take any responsibility for something on their property which clearly would have been there when they bought the house.

Still no reply.

I think you've been more than reasonable CE, apologies if I've missed it but is there anything actually stopping the whole tree being removed like potential structural damage to either property from the roots? It looks far too big to be that close to a house in a residential area while the tree in front is at least further away from the houses.

It comes across as your neighbours not wanting to take any responsibility for something on their property which clearly would have been there when they bought the house.
    They (probably her) refuse to have the tree cut down.
  • Sponsored links:

Still no reply.

They (probably her) refuse to have the tree cut down.
    Then by refusing to have the tree cut down they are entitling you the right to have it cut back to the border of your property as other posters have said. From the sounds of it you've definitely taken the right course of action.
  • He has just replied  -

"Thank you for your emails. 

You are of course well within your legal right to cut the tree branches back to the boundary line on your side and I’m happy for you to do so provided you adhere to the following:

1.  Only prune/cut up to the boundary line, that being the dirt line between Reg end of my front wall next to your path edge and my wall at the top of this dirt strip;

2.  Legally you will also be aware that any infringement of workmen working over this line/leaning against the tree or any cuts beyond this line on a vertical plain is illegal and could result in charges of trespass and/or criminal damage;

3.  Please dispose of the cuttings, we don’t want them - thank you."

• Probably his other half dictated. At least you have that email and can go ahead now. Well done mate
  • He has just replied  -

You are of course well within your legal right to cut the tree branches back to the boundary line on your side and I’m happy for you to do so provided you adhere to the following:

1.  Only prune/cut up to the boundary line, that being the dirt line between Reg end of my front wall next to your path edge and my wall at the top of this dirt strip;

2.  Legally you will also be aware that any infringement of workmen working over this line/leaning against the tree or any cuts beyond this line on a vertical plain is illegal and could result in charges of trespass and/or criminal damage;

If you really feel the tree will be vulnerable after the work be sure once the work is completed to have photo or video evidence that you haven't gone beyond the boundary line in case bad weather forces the tree to lean away from the border onto their side, they might then try and say that's how the tree was and that you cut beyond the border.
  • Excellent. Cut that for all it's worth and if it falls then he's brought it upon himself. If the tree toppling is genuinely a worry, then you probably can cut from fairly comfortably within your property and see the carnage unfold from there.
  • He has just replied  -

Wording of 2 is so precise, it sounds like he has been taking advice from somewhere. 
  • He has just replied  -

If you really feel the tree will be vulnerable after the work be sure once the work is completed to have photo or video evidence that you haven't gone beyond the boundary line in case bad weather forces the tree to lean away from the border onto their side, they might then try and say that's how the tree was and that you cut beyond the border.
    Good advice. Take photos from all angles. 
  • Now’s your chance to poison the tree. 7 or 8 foot up drill a hole at an angle and pour in stump killer.
  • Yep,as,said , take before and after pictures of the tree to cover your backside, so he can’t go back on his word, and claim you did this/ that in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• CE email them back and say
    You've said yourself I'm legally entitled to cut back to the borderline so your happiness has nothing to do with the matter.
  • He has just replied  -

Wanker
    Bang out of order, Covered End is a good lad.
  • People like that do my fucking head in. 

In my naive mind, I assume that neighbours will not block my drive, will offer to clean up after building work has covered my house and car in brick dust and general shite, not leave their poor dogs locked in a kennel at the top of their garden all day and well into the night and not be little bitches about a fucking tree, their tree hanging over my drive dripping sap all over my car. 

What a prick, whack a load of copper clout nails into it and it will die soon enough. The guy sounds like an absolute thrummer 
  • their tree is trespassing and causing criminal damage to your property ceeky chunts 
  • If you send a neighbour email correspondence for a dispute that could later be used as evidence in the event of further action, don’t be surprised if their response is set out in a legal way. 
  • Personally, I would remain tidily within the law, CE. The goal here is to get that bit of tree off your property, exactly as it should be. Adhere to what he has requested regarding trespass, ignore how the wording of his reply might make you feel, video the ENTIRE episode when you get the work done, and then let them stew on it if they want to. You will have complied with their request, and been reasonable. If it does ever escalate, then you are in a position to show you have been acting in good faith.
    Hope it works out ok for you in the way that it should.
  • edited March 2019
    What remains unfair, is that (as things stand right now), you are expected to pay for the work! You’d have thought any decent individual would have made an offer towards the costs......they even expect you to take on the costs and responsibility of disposing of the off cuts. I’d dump them on his property if I were you.
    It’s clear your neighbour is a ‘rantallion’ of the first order.
  • FFS, wait for them to go out and just cut the thing down and argue the toss afterwards.
  • they'll probably be glad to be shot of it too....just don't want to pay for it !
  • Any updates CE?