Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plymouth away - Good place to drink/eat before game

FYI.

For any of you coming down to the Plymouth away game on the 6th April I'd recommend the Hyde Park social club.

It's about a 10-minute walk from Home Park back through the park behind the ground. It's an unusual little joint as it's hidden away in a rather large residential area so either grab a taxi from the city centre (£10-12) or google maps it from the ground itself and don't be put off by the fact you walk into roads of houses, because it is there! Free entry on matchdays, away fans are always welcome, generally the Plymouth mob in there are older chaps and friendly. Beer is cheap, food is even cheaper and very good. They've got Sky/BT Sport so earlier games are always on. Been there a few years and it's the best away fans pub I've been too to date and much better than the Spoons that gets rammed before kick off.

Comments

• I'd also add as it's a members club rest of the week, you have to ring the doorbell to get in. It looks closed down from the outside.
  • Yes it's just like phoenix nights in there 😆
  • RedMist said:
    Yes it's just like phoenix nights in there 😆
    It is a bit. Proper old school social club though.

• is it a CIU club?
  • Oh and don't get it confused with the Hyde park Pub, which is about 100 yards away and recently got a '0' food hygiene rating!
  • is it a CIU club?
    I'll be honest mate, no idea. I expected us to be charged a small fee to get in but we weren't, then again we got there before midday. It didn't get very busy at all. At 2.00pm there was about 30-40 fans in there. Maybe a few more stood at the bar.

RedMist said:
    Oh and don't get it confused with the Hyde park Pub, which is about 100 yards away and recently got a '0' food hygiene rating!
    I didn't even know there was a pub that close. When the cabbie took us there and we were driving through the estate I was muttering under my breath how he clearly didn't know where he was going as there can't possibly be anything here over than terrace housing!
  • is it a CIU club?
    I'll be honest mate, no idea. I expected us to be charged a small fee to get in but we weren't, then again we got there before midday. It didn't get very busy at all. At 2.00pm there was about 30-40 fans in there. Maybe a few more stood at the bar.

RedMist said:
    Oh and don't get it confused with the Hyde park Pub, which is about 100 yards away and recently got a '0' food hygiene rating!
    I didn't even know there was a pub that close. When the cabbie took us there and we were driving through the estate I was muttering under my breath how he clearly didn't know where he was going as there can't possibly be anything here over than terrace housing!
    Yea it's at the top of Mutley Plain.
    Cabbie must have seem you coming also, if he charged you £10 from city centre, it's about a Mile away, If i get a taxi home from city centre, which is about 8 miles, thats £10!
    HPSC is a good shout though.
  • RedMist said:
    is it a CIU club?

RedMist said:
    Cabbie must have seem you coming also, if he charged you £10 from city centre, it's about a Mile away, If i get a taxi home from city centre, which is about 8 miles, thats £10!
    Thing is mate he took us all around the houses. Literally.

I know Plymouth city centre relatively well but nowhere else there, wrong side of Devon, so yeah maybe he did but I'm used to being fleeced by city cabbies. And I've been fleeced by GWR's ridiculous rail fares to ride what is effectively a wooden cart on toy wheels just prior too it and goes at the pace of me cleaning the house, so I'm already at peace with any of that.
  • RedMist said:
    is it a CIU club?

RedMist said:
    Thing is mate he took us all around the houses. Literally.

I know Plymouth city centre relatively well but nowhere else there, wrong side of Devon, so yeah maybe he did but I'm used to being fleeced by city cabbies. And I've been fleeced by GWR's ridiculous rail fares to ride what is effectively a wooden cart on toy wheels just prior too it and goes at the pace of me cleaning the house, so I'm already at peace with any of that.
    As long as you're happy mate.
  • What's the real ale and cider selection like? Just checking for my crew.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    I went there last year after the game, agreed with the OP, three of us in colours were allowed in and made to feel welcome. Whether that was because they'd won the game 2-0 some of them were happy to talk with us and acknowledged we should have buried them by half time.

It's not members only but it's £1 entry per person. However three beers and £1 entry each payable at the bar and all barely came to just over a tenner.

Highly recommended over the pubs.
  • I was there last season, and would recommend the harbour area after the game for a lively drink - we had august weather though, so it maybe a bit different this time round.
  • I was there last season, and would recommend the harbour area after the game for a lively drink - we had august weather though, so it maybe a bit different this time round.
    You mean down the Barbican ...... lots of pubs and a bit of night life.

• My cousin owns a cracking little hotel in Torquay if anyone is making a weekend of it.
  • TEL said:
    My cousin owns a cracking little hotel in Torquay if anyone is making a weekend of it.
    😮😮

• TEL said:
    My cousin owns a cracking little hotel in Torquay if anyone is making a weekend of it.
    😮😮

Little bit closer to the seafront 😊
  • TEL said:
    😮😮

Manuel still works there

• TEL said:
    TEL said:
    😮😮

Little bit closer to the seafront 😊
    Any wildebeest sweeping majestically through the hotel's grounds Tel? 
  • Can someone tell us what properties are available for 100k?
    @Oggy Red is your man
  • Sponsored links:

Well, there's an attic flat in a dilapidated house scheduled for demolition, a nice studio flat above a night club and an empty shop in the city centre (loads of the shops in the city centre are empty, so you could be spoilt for choice).

That's about it, I'm afraid. 

• Oggy Red said:
    Can someone tell us what properties are available for 100k?
    Well, there's an attic flat in a dilapidated house scheduled for demolition, a nice studio flat above a night club and an empty shop in the city centre (loads of the shops in the city centre are empty, so you could be spoilt for choice).

Confirming @clb74 was talking poo last season about property prices down your way.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Can someone tell us what properties are available for 100k?

Confirming @clb74 was talking poo last season about property prices down your way.
    If you'd bothered to click on the link above your post you'd of found out there are actually 3 beds for less than 100k.

• Oggy will hopefully confirm that is a one off(like you).

All I'm seeing are flats for 100k
  • Went there last time, it was fine.

wouldnt eat there though, on the walk from the social club to the ground, just before you get to the park there are guys selling real, proper, pastys (forget that Ginsters nonsense) get one of those. 
  • Oggy will hopefully confirm that is a one off(like you).

All I'm seeing are flats for 100k
    So there's not a 3 bed house for 100k then
  • se9addick said:
    Went there last time, it was fine.

wouldnt eat there though, on the walk from the social club to the ground, just before you get to the park there are guys selling real, proper, pastys (forget that Ginsters nonsense) get one of those. 
    It's worth going to both Plymouth and Exeter if only to feast on the pasties.

Agreed regards the Ginsters.
  • Ginsters pasties are made in Cornwall (Callington, in fact) ..... but ignore all the marketing hype and the Cornish flag on the wrapper ..... IMO it's just factory made processed supermarket fodder. I don't know anyone here in Cornwall who actually buys them. There's a good choice, however, of very decent small bakery pasties like Rowes, or Chough's up in Padstow. That's the sort the Cornish eat.

The decent pasties sold from the van outside Home Park are Ivor Dewdney's, made in Plymouth - so not Cornish at all!
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ginsters pasties are made in Cornwall (Callington, in fact) ..... but ignore all the marketing hype and the Cornish flag on the wrapper ..... IMO it's just factory made processed supermarket fodder. I don't know anyone here in Cornwall who actually buys them. There's a good choice, however, of very decent small bakery pasties like Rowes, or Chough's up in Padstow. That's the sort the Cornish eat.

The decent pasties sold from the van outside Home Park are Ivor Dewdney's, made in Plymouth - so not Cornish at all!
    Devon does have its own pastie heritage though to be fair!