Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Who at the Valley - Crowd photos

Found in a box of old stuff in the Museum as we scan more and more stuff.

No named photographer and it's not Tom Morris.

Comments

• Homage to the cover of Who's Next

• looking along the back of the open end towards the East terrace
  • from the back of the open end
  • The stage/main stand from the back of the open end
  • Great pics, nice to see some new ones after all this time. 
  • Brilliant. Wouldn’t like to guess the amount of gear floating around in the crowd.
  • Great stuff.
    If any photos show a person on stage standing in front of the stage left speaker stack......... it’s yours truly!
  • The bloke on the extreme right having a leak - I'm not saying for certain but it could be me.
  • bobmunro said:
    The bloke on the extreme right having a leak - I'm not saying for certain but it could be me.
    Boasting again Bob :smile:
  • bobmunro said:
    The bloke on the extreme right having a leak - I'm not saying for certain but it could be me.
    Looks like you having a good look at the blokes todger stood next to you. Got something you want to share Bob  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Is the bloke on the right saying 'will give you 3/1 you cant piss over the top of the wall'

If so, that's Bob.
  • Nothing to do with the photo's, but my lasting memory of that day was being on a 177 bus going towards Woolwich, upstairs on the bus a bloke got off at the Watermans arms, he had 2 carrier bags full of cans of lager & said "do you want them?" as he couldn't be arsed to carry them to The Valley, gratefully received !
  • 1974 rather than 1976? I don't recall rain in 76.
    Might be able to date it from the construction works on the sold-off land behind the terrace?

Rare picture showing the original builders’ yard too.

It did rain at the '76 concert, The Who came on to a very wet stage
    The 1974 gig was on a gloriously sunny day. I got sunburnt.

Found myself in the previous Bad Company crowd picture as I vaguely remembered where I was sitting. No chance in these but great pics and thanks for posting, Henry
  • Thanks @Badger and @Bangkokaddick 1976 it was then. I was going to say that if it was 1974 that I can't explain why there was elbow room as it was a who sell out. 

I was too young to go in 1974 really, I recall thinking that I'm a boy so i decided to substitute a trip to the valley at 5.15 to view pictures of Lilly whilst playing my squeezebox.

• I remember in 76 as my first time with the weed. Thought I was dying.

By the time it started to get dark, I could roll a joint with one hand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Enjoyed the line up (and weather) for the ‘74 gig more than ‘76. Lindisfarne got the Geordies on their feet and created a good atmosphere. This was before the cans and bottles started flying. Maggie Bell and Bad Company were also good. Thought The Who were better in ‘76 than ‘74.

Great pics btw. 
  • edited March 2019
    76 rained.  I also recall the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. 
  • A badge from the 76 gig. 

• edited March 2019
    Thanks @Badger and @Bangkokaddick 1976 it was then. I was going to say that if it was 1974 that I can't explain why there was elbow room as it was a who sell out. 

I was too young to go in 1974 really, I recall thinking that I'm a boy so i decided to substitute a trip to the valley at 5.15 to view pictures of Lilly whilst playing my squeezebox.

I saw what you did there!
  • Thanks @Badger and @Bangkokaddick 1976 it was then. I was going to say that if it was 1974 that I can't explain why there was elbow room as it was a who sell out. 

I saw what you did there!
    I think you've missed the rest.
  • Jaybinho said:
    Before my time but my mum gave this to me years ago

Lovely, we have a programme and ticket in the museum from 1976 but not the a badge (hint hint @Solidgone

We have a nice signed poster from both concerts too.
  • Jaybinho said:
    Before my time but my mum gave this to me years ago

For you youngsters, in 1976, £4 was a lot of money. My weekly pay from a student job in Sainsbury’s was £7.54. Today, £4 just about covers a large cappuccino in Costa
  • Solidgone said:
    76 rained.  I also recall the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. 
    Best warm up act ever.
    Alex Harvey had a rain soaked crowd buzzing so that when the who took to the stage the valley was perfectly set up for them.