Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Terrible Mosque Shooting in New Zealand

Apparent white supremacist attack on Mosque during evening prayers in Christchurch. He livestreamed it on Facebook. It was beyond graphic. It was removed.
27 minimum dead according to multiple sources, some local sources says could be up to 40.
Four have been arrested; three men and one woman, but video and internet posts by one known perp bring that into question. Feel awful for them.

Comments

• Tragic. I have the radio on overnight and the news woke me up at about 3.30am and have been awake since.

RIP to the innocents killed. 

Looks like as well as live streaming it incredibly graphically, he has published a manifesto complaining of "white genocide."

Hearing eye witness accounts and they sound terrifying. As the Prime Minister said this will be one of New Zealand's darkest days. 
  • edited March 2019
    CNN says it happened at two mosques.
    I wonder if they will do what Australia did after their massive shooting in Port Arthur in 1996. Luckily for NZ, they have a stellar leader in Jarcinda Ardern.
  • It seems that the shooter was firing a shotgun as he drove off. I am not sure if he might have opened fire on a second mosque from his car, but I am sure this will all become clear soon. 
  • After every terrorist arrack you always get stuff floating around on Twitter. Having seen the video of it this morning I’d advise against opening the app until it’s removed.

Its horrificly surreal. 
  • What goes through peoples minds who do these sort of barbaric acts. RIP to all those who have sadly died.  
  • edited March 2019
    40 now confirmed as dead and more than 20 seriously injured as confirmed by the NZ Prime Minister. The Bangladeshi cricket team were visiting one of the mosques at the time but none of them are thought to be hurt.

RIP all the victims of this evil act
  • edited March 2019
    Laddick01 said:
    After every terrorist arrack you always get stuff floating around on Twitter. Having seen the video of it this morning I’d advise against opening the app until it’s removed.

Its horrificly surreal. 
    I opened a video on a reddit early-on as it was unfolding before posting this thread here figuring it was a news report (even CNN's TV channel was not reporting it here at the time.) Instead of a news report, it was some of the live stream. Honestly, it took me about 15 seconds to realize it was actually... real. It looked exactly like a first person shooter video game. I hear there is more footage worse than what I saw apparently. I've kind of been stunned ever since. Not sure I could ever play one of those games now.
  • edited March 2019
    40 now confirmed as dead and more than 20 seriously injured as confirmed by the NZ Prime Minister. The Bangladeshi cricket team were visiting one of the mosques at the time but none of them are thought to be hurt.

RIP all the victims of this evil act
    Given what I briefly saw, I think 40 is gonna turn out to be low. Apparently he went to two mosques and shot for 12 minutes. Given NZ has fairly strict gun laws, I am wondering how he got that gun, which was essentially shooting a round per second.
    I bet it turns out this guy was imitating Anders Breivik.
  • Horrific news. Hatred is a dreadful thing. I hope all those affected get all the support they need.
    A very sad day for New Zealand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    After every terrorist arrack you always get stuff floating around on Twitter. Having seen the video of it this morning I’d advise against opening the app until it’s removed.

Its horrificly surreal. 
    I opened a video on a reddit early-on as it was unfolding before posting this thread here figuring it was a news report (even CNN's TV channel was not reporting it here at the time.) Instead of a news report, it was some of the live stream. Honestly, it took me about 15 seconds to realize it was actually... real. It looked exactly like a first person shooter video game. I've kind of been stunned ever since.
    The guy must’ve shot some of those bodies 10/20 times each. How can someone be that evil?

RIP to those who’ve lost their lives.
  • edited March 2019
    This sort of stuff doesn’t happen here ... can’t say that anymore . We are a nation stunned. 

So sorry for you all, KiwiValley.
    Someone on the news says today's attack killed more people than all shooting deaths in your country in an entire typical year. Horrifying.
    I am off to bed. I hope the news is not much worse by the time I wake up. Please be well.
  • Unbelievable. Awful stuff
  • Absolutely sickening.

Thoughts with the families of those who have lost family members and friends and also to the whole of New Zealand.
  • Disgusting but sadly not shocking and entirely believable. That's the sad thing for me. 
  • RIP to all those savagely murdered and thoughts go out to their family and friends. Christchurch is such a beautiful city but it’s in a very dark place today. 
  • I just don’t see how we can stop such sick evil groups/individuals. 

RIP all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to say anything bar this is a terrible, and disgusting act. It makes you ashamed to be human. RIP.
  • edited March 2019
    Laddick01 said:

Its horrificly surreal. 
    I opened a video on a reddit early-on as it was unfolding before posting this thread here figuring it was a news report (even CNN's TV channel was not reporting it here at the time.) Instead of a news report, it was some of the live stream. Honestly, it took me about 15 seconds to realize it was actually... real. It looked exactly like a first person shooter video game. I hear there is more footage worse than what I saw apparently. I've kind of been stunned ever since. Not sure I could ever play one of those games now.
    Having also seen the video, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was real in the first 2 seconds. Nutter had 'this is for...' Painted down his guns in what looked like tip ex.

It's reminiscent of an army body cam video, only difference is this guy trying to make sure every victim had zero chance of survival by putting so many rounds into each of them.

It's an action that will have consequences, there will be a retaliation.

RIP the innocent victims of this evil man/group
  • RIP the victims
  • This world can be a dark and horrible place at times. 

Thoughts to the victims, their families and the good, decent people of New Zealand.
  • Terrible. All white people need to come together and condemn these attacks. Hope the attackers get deported, why should New Zealander’s pay for them to be in prison? Scum. 
  • This is not the time to offer any comment other than to express shock and horror at these dreadful events and condolences to those directly affected.
  • RIP to the victims - so horrific, made worse by the fact the guy had to stream it.

I don't use Twitter for anything other than work, those where the video came up, was the killer part of a particular group or website or anything like that?
  • RIP the victims, speedy recovery to those injured, and my thoughts with the families and loved ones.

• edited March 2019
    RIP to all those poor souls