Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Addicks - Op Stack

Just to let you know that Op Stack is in place on the M20 between 8 and 9, so expect delays Maidstone/Ashford/Folkestone way.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Ross said:
    Just to let you know that Op Stack is in place on the M20 between 8 and 9, so expect delays Maidstone/Ashford/Folkestone way.
    Shit round here too, on the the A2 between Lydden and Dover (8 Miles) has been solid since 4am this morning. Rought weather in the channel.  Probably Grayling's fault!
  • After the problems in 2015, it was known that an alternative to Operation Stack was needed but nothing was done.  

Last year the Government and Highways England decided that they needed to do something, so millions of pounds have been spent on the 'M20 Temporary Solution' or Operation Brock.  Since last September we have suffered many nights when the M20 has been closed in order to build this crazy alternative, where the main motorway to Europe is turned into a lorry park coastbound from J8 to 9 and a steel barrier has been erected on the London bound carriageway to allow for 2 way running.

Op Brock isn't finished yet so they've had to go back to Operation Stack today.  The steel barrier on the London bound carriageway between 9 and 8 will have to remain in place for at least a year with a 50mph speed limit and average speed cameras.  For the last couple of weeks the LB carriageway has traffic separated so that there are 2 lanes with no hard shoulder and traffic in the third lane is trapped by the steel barrier and the central reservation.  If in lane 3 and you miss the signs, you can't exit the M20 at junction 8 and have to carry on to the next junction.

I know that Highways England did a consultation on a permanent solution last year, but nothing has been agreed yet nor is it likely to be for some time yet.  If only they had built a large lorry park near to Folkestone and Dover we wouldn't have had months of misery and millions of pounds of tax payers money wasted on turning the road network into a lorry park.

• For the last couple of weeks the LB carriageway has traffic separated so that there are 2 lanes with no hard shoulder and traffic in the third lane is trapped by the steel barrier and the central reservation.  If in lane 3 and you miss the signs, you can't exit the M20 at junction 8 and have to carry on to the next junction.

Happened to me yesterday. No signs saying not to use this lane if you wanted to turn off at 8.

Mind you, the whole of the section between 6 and 8 was stationary as they'd shut down the M20 for an accident. Just the two and half hours from Folkestone to get home to ME15.
  • After the problems in 2015, it was known that an alternative to Operation Stack was needed but nothing was done.  

Last year the Government and Highways England decided that they needed to do something, so millions of pounds have been spent on the 'M20 Temporary Solution' or Operation Brock.  Since last September we have suffered many nights when the M20 has been closed in order to build this crazy alternative, where the main motorway to Europe is turned into a lorry park coastbound from J8 to 9 and a steel barrier has been erected on the London bound carriageway to allow for 2 way running.

Op Brock isn't finished yet so they've had to go back to Operation Stack today.  The steel barrier on the London bound carriageway between 9 and 8 will have to remain in place for at least a year with a 50mph speed limit and average speed cameras.  For the last couple of weeks the LB carriageway has traffic separated so that there are 2 lanes with no hard shoulder and traffic in the third lane is trapped by the steel barrier and the central reservation.  If in lane 3 and you miss the signs, you can't exit the M20 at junction 8 and have to carry on to the next junction.

I know that Highways England did a consultation on a permanent solution last year, but nothing has been agreed yet nor is it likely to be for some time yet.  If only they had built a large lorry park near to Folkestone and Dover we wouldn't have had months of misery and millions of pounds of tax payers money wasted on turning the road network into a lorry park.

If only the truth was told in the referendum.......
  • Addickted said:
    For the last couple of weeks the LB carriageway has traffic separated so that there are 2 lanes with no hard shoulder and traffic in the third lane is trapped by the steel barrier and the central reservation.  If in lane 3 and you miss the signs, you can't exit the M20 at junction 8 and have to carry on to the next junction.

Happened to me yesterday. No signs saying not to use this lane if you wanted to turn off at 8.

Mind you, the whole of the section between 6 and 8 was stationary as they'd shut down the M20 for an accident. Just the two and half hours from Folkestone to get home to ME15.
    On your way back from another short stay in your favourite St Truiden hotel ? 😉
  • iainment said:
    After the problems in 2015, it was known that an alternative to Operation Stack was needed but nothing was done.  

If only the truth was told in the referendum.......

The need for an alternative to Op Stack was known about long before the referendum. 
  • Every time the French fisherman/customs/dock workers stopped the ferrys, traffic racked up.  Nothing to do with Brexit. This week it was the weather that caused queues at Dover. Always going to be a problem with .up to 10000 lorries a day using the port
  • I'm off to France on the ferry this weekend. Think I'd better leave an hour earlier than planned.
  • Every time the French fisherman/customs/dock workers stopped the ferrys, traffic racked up.  Nothing to do with Brexit. This week it was the weather that caused queues at Dover. Always going to be a problem with .up to 10000 lorries a day using the port
    Yep, and if it goes one two or three days where do you put them all?
    We're trying to put a quart into a pint pot here.

Any Addick worth his salt will tell you, we should be using the rail network through the tunnel, not clogging up our already congested roads

• Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    lets forget about the 30 days in one year that Op stack was in place one year BEFORE the referendum----or the 100 plus days its been in place prior to any thought of leaving lets forget about the cart loads of strikes by French workers that stopped the ferries etc.

21/2 years to prepare but lets just waste that on fighting the vote

Kent ---The Garden of England---- strange how we are all going to starve now----fuck knows what's growing in all those fields across the road from me

still apparently only one side lied .The bastion of truth that is Remain (Blair,Sorus, etc etc and some smug twonk who sells a few packets of crisps)
  • Lifted. Nothing to see here, move on.
  • lets forget about the 30 days in one year that Op stack was in place one year BEFORE the referendum----or the 100 plus days its been in place prior to any thought of leaving lets forget about the cart loads of strikes by French workers that stopped the ferries etc.

21/2 years to prepare but lets just waste that on fighting the vote

Kent ---The Garden of England---- strange how we are all going to starve now----fuck knows what's growing in all those fields across the road from me

still apparently only one side lied .The bastion of truth that is Remain (Blair,Sorus, etc etc and some smug twonk who sells a few packets of crisps)
    Blimey. Someone needs a light ale.
  • I'm off to France on the ferry this weekend. Think I'd better leave an hour earlier than planned.
    Dave, you book the hotel and then don’t go.

Whoops, obviously on a secret ‘painting’ holiday.
  • Operation Stack might have gone but M20 closed again overnight for Operation Brock work. 

• Operation Stack might have gone but M20 closed again overnight for Operation Brock work. 

I'm sure I heard on the news tonight that Operation Brock, which cost countless millions, may never be used. 

WTF !!!!

I'm sure I heard on the news tonight that Operation Brock, which cost countless millions, may never be used. 

WTF !!!!
    I despair of our highways authorities Jean, they haven't got a clue. 
  • It seems that National Highways are not content with having already spent a ridiculous amount of money on Operation Brock, which has rarely been needed, they now want to inflict another year of misery on Kent residents and users of the M20. They plan to move the hated concrete barrier from the hard shoulder, where it is currently stored, to the central reservation. You really couldn't make this up.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/12-months-of-disruption-as-m20-barrier-to-move-260624/
  • It seems that National Highways are not content with having already spent a ridiculous amount of money on Operation Brock, which has rarely been needed, they now want to inflict another year of misery on Kent residents and users of the M20. They plan to move the hated concrete barrier from the hard shoulder, where it is currently stored, to the central reservation. You really couldn't make this up.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/12-months-of-disruption-as-m20-barrier-to-move-260624/
    Totally agree ME14, this now makes it the 5th time that there will be disruption due to this roll out etc. As far as I can see this is due to 'drainage' issues being implemented at the same time.  I have not been to a game since Middlesborough and Covid with this nonsense will mean that I will not probably see a live game until after my knee operation, and who knows when that will be?. It's a pity as my son's talked at Christmas about going to a few matches, but will have to  review  how it goes, I travel up two times a week to look after the grandchildren so will see how things  go.

Totally agree ME14, this now makes it the 5th time that there will be disruption due to this roll out etc. As far as I can see this is due to 'drainage' issues being implemented at the same time.  I have not been to a game since Middlesborough and Covid with this nonsense will mean that I will not probably see a live game until after my knee operation, and who knows when that will be?. It's a pity as my son's talked at Christmas about going to a few matches, but will have to  review  how it goes, I travel up two times a week to look after the grandchildren so will see how things  go.
    Hope you don't have to wait too long for your op @ke@"ken from bexley"

Any drainage problems should have been done when they closed the motorway on so many occasions. No thought for the long suffering people of Kent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks ME14addick, Well been on the waiting list already for 9 months, I am having to have steroid injections every 4 months, my left kneecap is damaged ( mainly from football/tennis), right knee cap not great. Consultant could not give me a date!. Trying to move back nearer to my sons, which is a pity as we love Hythe, but older age has made me feel rather vulnerable. 
    Like yourself, I just feel  that the people who have decided to impose this latest bit of expensive nonsense, have little regard for the average motorist. Have to make a bit more of an effort I guess to see a game, been a fan since the early 60s.