Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The gap between L1 and the Championship.

It does appear that the gap is widening and that teams promoted will struggle without investment. Wigan and Rotherham are both struggling and Blackburn are not faring much better.

If we were to go up is there any chance we would be competitive?

Comments

• A midfield of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams is more than enough to compete at that level. 

Unfortunately 2 of those are loans and 2 are out of contract!

We do have other players capable of making the step up too, but not enough for a squad and I have less than zero confidence in RD to build one. 

So, in short... no.
  • I am at the QPR v Rotherham game and these 2 are more like League 2 than championship. Thankfully it’s free. Jordan Cousins is in midfield bit hasn’t done much. 
  • Could be a 1 off as well, maybe the 3 promoted just were not great

The year before the newly promoted teams finished

Millwall 8th
    Sheff Utd 10th
    Bolton 21st

So Bolton struggled but other 2 finished top half
  • A midfield of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams is more than enough to compete at that level. 
    Depending on who they're playing for
  • Regardless of who is the owner, we would need a minimum of ten new players (probably 5 loans) even if all the out of contract players signed up.

The only CAFC players I would be happy with starting in the champ most weeks would be:

Aribo
    Williams
    BFG 
    Sarr
    Taylor

Phillips, Solly, Page, Pearce, Reeves and Igor I would be happy with as squad players. 

Lapslie, Morgan etc could make up the numbers. As it's highly unlikely the first 3 will be here under any circumstances I would suggest the number is closer to 15 players than 10.  How much is a championship player these days, about 5 million a pop? 10 for a good one?

Can anyone see any new owner spending that kind of cash? 
  • Jinx thread! Jinx thread! Sink!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Regardless of who is the owner, we would need a minimum of ten new players (probably 5 loans) even if all the out of contract players signed up.

The only CAFC players I would be happy with starting in the champ most weeks would be:

Aribo
    Williams
    BFG 
    Sarr
    Taylor

Phillips, Solly, Page, Pearce, Reeves and Igor I would be happy with as squad players. 

Lapslie, Morgan etc could make up the numbers. As it's highly unlikely the first 3 will be here under any circumstances I would suggest the number is closer to 15 players than 10.  How much is a championship player these days, about 5 million a pop? 10 for a good one?

You do not need to spend that sort of money to be competitive enough to survive; and then you build. Grant and Konsa are two good examples of players you can get.
  • IF we make it up then we are coming down with the Christmas decorations next year under Roland The Douche...
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Regardless of who is the owner, we would need a minimum of ten new players (probably 5 loans) even if all the out of contract players signed up.

Aribo
    Williams
    BFG 
    Sarr
    Taylor

You do not need to spend that sort of money to be competitive enough to survive; and then you build. Grant and Konsa are two good examples of players you can get.
    Only if you can find a bonkers owner to sell them to you..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackburn are nearer the playoffs than relegation! Wigan and Rotherham could still stay up too. Promoted teams can definitely compete. 
  • jac52 said:
    Blackburn are nearer the playoffs than relegation! Wigan and Rotherham could still stay up too. Promoted teams can definitely compete. 
    Blackburn are currently 17th and four of the bottom six in the Championship are teams promoted from L1 in the last two seasons - Millwall, Wigan, Rotherham and Bolton. Only Sheff Utd seem to be really competitive from recently promoted teams.

There does seem to be a growing gap in terms of resources in the Championship.

• Overall there's a big gap, obviously the top championship sides are well above the level of any side in league one but I'd say there is very little gap between the bottom 6-7 of the championship and the top 5-6 in league one.

Millwall 8th
    Sheff Utd 10th
    Bolton 21st

And Sheffield United could well be playing PL football after just two seasons in the Championship.

Millwall 8th
    Sheff Utd 10th
    Bolton 21st

And Sheffield United could well be playing PL football after just two seasons in the Championship.
    As I said previously 4 of the current bottom six in the Championship were promoted from L1 in the last two seasons, Blackburn are 17th and only Sheff Utd seem to be really competitive.

Maybe it's just a blip but to me the gap seems to be getting bigger in terms of resources - obviously nowhere near the Premiership.

• Some teams will find it easier to adapt than others. Of course, all promoted teams will need some strengthening.
  • The crazy amounts of money being spent by premier league clubs seems to have filtered down to the championship, with players now going for £10-20 million. That would have raised eyebrows even for a midtable premier league team not that long ago. 

The inflated fees don't seem to have made their way down to league 1 yet. With the exception of a couple of cases like sunderland forking out 4m for Grigg. With such a difference in the level of investment it's logical that there would be a big gap to bridge.

Maybe we will start to see large amounts of money being spent by league 1 clubs at some point? But it does seem to be the level where most of the league is made up of your Accringtons, Rochdales etc who have to work year by year on a shoestring budget and are unlikely to ever be able to afford large transfer fees. 
  • edited March 2019
    If we go up and Roland stays we will go down 100%. Damage he has done will make it difficult to survive even if he does go.

I don't fancy our chances in L1 either with him around

• It does appear that the gap is widening and that teams promoted will struggle without investment. Wigan and Rotherham are both struggling and Blackburn are not faring much better.

Is there any real incentive to invest other than the hope of making it to the Premier League?  Does income from TV and other sources go up in the Championship?  Obviously it costs more to buy players and wages go up accordingly - but what increase in income would there be and where does it come from?
  • To add to my previous point, when we went up with Powell we had a core of probably 7 or 8 capable of making the step up.  We don't have that now. 

The quality of player has started to filter down to league 1, even if it's mainly short term deals and loans.  Cullen, Beilk, Williams etc would have been Championship players 5 years ago and Premier league ones 10/15 years ago.

This team would give Powell's league 1 side a run for their money, I would also expect that they earn more, I would also fancy them to give Curbs' play off final winning team a good game and the same is probably true with the money. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc-west said:
    It does appear that the gap is widening and that teams promoted will struggle without investment. Wigan and Rotherham are both struggling and Blackburn are not faring much better.

Is there any real incentive to invest other than the hope of making it to the Premier League?  Does income from TV and other sources go up in the Championship?  Obviously it costs more to buy players and wages go up accordingly - but what increase in income would there be and where does it come from?
    I think the only way to make money is to get to the Premiership - if you spend big in the Championship you have the potential to haemorrhage cash.

Some pretty ludicrous transfer fees being spent by some of the clubs - helps to have wealthy owners who want to invest.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    To add to my previous point, when we went up with Powell we had a core of probably 7 or 8 capable of making the step up.  We don't have that now. 

The quality of player has started to filter down to league 1, even if it's mainly short term deals and loans.  Cullen, Beilk, Williams etc would have been Championship players 5 years ago and Premier league ones 10/15 years ago.

This team would give Powell's league 1 side a run for their money, I would also expect that they earn more, I would also fancy them to give Curbs' play off final winning team a good game and the same is probably true with the money. 
    Bielik looks up to Premiership standard to me - he just needs to work on his decision making. A very assured player.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    To add to my previous point, when we went up with Powell we had a core of probably 7 or 8 capable of making the step up.  We don't have that now. 

Curbs play off winning side would have smashed our present side out of sight .
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Curbs play off winning side would have smashed our present side out of sight .
    I very much doubt it - football has moved on in terms of fitness and strength. A lot of players from the past may have had more talent but fitness was often lacking.

• The finances of the Championship are horrendous, with some clubs forking out on ridiculous wages to try and get into the PL

It's a bit like the National League, where you have some clubs run on a "sensible" basis, and others spending a fortune to get into the football league
  • The finances of the Championship are horrendous, with some clubs forking out on ridiculous wages to try and get into the PL

It's a bit like the National League, where you have some clubs run on a "sensible" basis, and others spending a fortune to get into the football league
    Quite shocking how out of control finances are in football....
  • cafc-west said:

I think the only way to make money is to get to the Premiership - if you spend big in the Championship you have the potential to haemorrhage cash.

Some pretty ludicrous transfer fees being spent by some of the clubs - helps to have wealthy owners who want to invest.

Wolves lost 1m a week last season in their bid to get promotion. Luckily it worked and they now look set to stay in the premier league for a while.
    The problem is half of the championship thinks they can do the same, but not many do.
  • About £70m
  • cafc-west said:

Wolves lost 1m a week last season in their bid to get promotion. Luckily it worked and they now look set to stay in the premier league for a while.
    The problem is half of the championship thinks they can do the same, but not many do.

Next season will tell for Wolves. If they can survive and the owners spend a bit of cash they could do well. Nice ground, good support the potential is there.
  • addick05 said:
    cafc-west said:

Next season will tell for Wolves. If they can survive and the owners spend a bit of cash they could do well. Nice ground, good support the potential is there.
    All depends on what Portuguese players are available