Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

6th Form, recommendations

BBjnr has been accepted by Bullers wood but would rather Crown Woods. Anyone else's boy in a similar position or any recommendations?

Comments

• Yep, we've been trawling round loads of open days and have met literally dozens of really unimpressive teachers. Depressing. I don't think he wants to go to any of them.

Crown Woods actually seemed alright though. At least the buildings are modern.
  • I think anything would be better than Crown Woods.
  • JaShea99 said:
    I think anything would be better than Crown Woods.
    You've obviously not been to have a look at the college on Shooters Hill then. The one that looks like a 60s built Hungarian prison.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Are you in education or know pupils or parents of children who go there? 
  • Just do what we all did back in the day....leave after 5th form (year 11 now).

What....can't go that anymore. Fecking stupid Labour party FORCING students to stay on in education for no good reason.....apart from massaging the unemployment figures.

I left school in 1983 aged 16. Finished my last O level exam on the Wednesday & started work the following Monday. Already had a job in a bank lined up - had interviews that Easter & job offer in the May.

Bloody bonkers making kids stay on when they have no desire or interest in learning. Yes they can get an apprenticeship or something but still need to go to college during that time too. 
  • Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:
    You've obviously not been to have a look at the college on Shooters Hill then. The one that looks like a 60s built Hungarian prison.
    Are you dissing Eaglesfield?!
  • I'm not sure if it will help....but I did my 6th form at Eltham Green.

Academically I was not that much better off.......but my Snooker improved markedly during many an afternoon in the Riley's above McDonald's in Eltham High Street.
  • Harris Falconwood.
  • edited March 2019
    Just do what we all did back in the day....leave after 5th form (year 11 now).

What....can't go that anymore. Fecking stupid Labour party FORCING students to stay on in education for no good reason.....apart from massaging the unemployment figures.

I left school in 1983 aged 16. Finished my last O level exam on the Wednesday & started work the following Monday. Already had a job in a bank lined up - had interviews that Easter & job offer in the May.

Bloody bonkers making kids stay on when they have no desire or interest in learning. Yes they can get an apprenticeship or something but still need to go to college during that time too. 

"I left work at 14 with no qualifications and made my first million by the time I was 21" - yada yada yada so the old bollox goes.

The world of work is a bit different 36 years on, Golfie - and it's education OR training between 16-18 which is no bad thing in my mind. I left school at 18 (1975) and wasn't sure whether to go to uni so applied for and was offered three jobs at banks and a commision in the Civil Service. I took the latter, realised very quickly what a nightmare it was and then went to uni after a year.

Would I have been ok leaving school at 16 after my O Levels? Probably. Would I have had the career I've had without staying on and going to uni? Probably not.     

• Sponsored links:

• Research things like where students go after finishing.
    Staff turnover in the selected subjects.
    Exam results if that is the aim (each subject should have at least one student who gets the top grade to demonstrate the teaching hasn't got a 'ceiling')
    Think about travel to and fro.
    Think about the student culture.

• Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:
    As someone that went to Eaglesfield dissing it is only the start of what should happen. Place should be bulldozed, was falling apart when I was there.

Last time I went past I noticed they'd ruined one of the only 2 good things about it and built all over the playing field.

Someone will tell me they've filled in the pool next :smile:
  • bobmunro said:

"I left work at 14 with no qualifications and made my first million by the time I was 21" - yada yada yada so the old bollox goes.

The world of work is a bit different 36 years on, Golfie - and it's education OR training between 16-18 which is no bad thing in my mind. I left school at 18 (1975) and wasn't sure whether to go to uni so applied for and was offered three jobs at banks and a commision in the Civil Service. I took the latter, realised very quickly what a nightmare it was and then went to uni after a year.

Would I have been ok leaving school at 16 after my O Levels? Probably. Would I have had the career I've had without staying on and going to uni? Probably not.     

Education might have been your best option.....but it's not for everyone. Why does EVERYONE now have to do another 2 years

Fwiw......once I knew my O level results (6) my parents contacted my school who said I could go back & join the 6th form I wanted. This was late August & been at work for just 2 months.  I decided work was a better option for me at the time. Bought my first flat at age 21 when a lot if my old school friends were just finishing uni.....and still not knowing what they wanted to do. 
  • Uboat said:

No-one is forced to stay on at school, so cut out the poundshop Clarkson bollocks.
    After year 11 EVERYONE has to do another 2 years.......either study at a school or college or an apprenticeship (With at least 1 day spent at college). Not sure there are many apprenticeships around & the vast number of students stay on at school. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I dunno, am I? 

The college seemed to be made up of two parts. One was an old building that was probably nice when it was built - my guess in the 20s or 30s - but was just run down. The other looked like a bunker.

If that is, or was, Eaglesfield then “yes”.

but obviously the buildings are only one part of it. The teachers appeared to be much much worse. And bear in mind these are the ones deemed “normal” enough to represent the college at an open day!

• Yes.  I thought all you local lot knew Eaglesfield.  Right rough old school.  :-)

Tho the Thursday night Fine Dining Event where you can attend and the catering students cook a slap up 4 course meal for £20 is pretty good.  

• I’m originally from The Sham, so am not up on the schools that way.

My school got knocked down after I left. Can’t think why.

• There have been a few threads on here about Eaglesfield... take a look.   Look at some of posters who are ex pupils.  I rest my case.   

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81793/eaglesfieldians-thread/p1

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81789/who-got-beaten-at-school/p2

• Sponsored links:

• Rogues gallery

• Although I see that at least one of them ended up with a respectable job with the Old Bill.

Undercover mind you, so keep it quiet.
  • My lad is Head Boy at one of Crown Woods schools. Have found the teachers very good this year. Previous years there was far too much turnaround and too many supply teachers, but that seems to have halted under the new head. The school has supported the kids well, if they are prepared to graft. 

My lad is off to Hayes School for 6th Form, like my older one did. Fantastic school for Sport (esp rugby) and academically pushed my lad to be able to go to Leeds Beckett Uni this year. Was well pleased with the school.
  • edited March 2019
    Uboat said:

No-one is forced to stay on at school, so cut out the poundshop Clarkson bollocks.
    After year 11 EVERYONE has to do another 2 years.......either study at a school or college or an apprenticeship (With at least 1 day spent at college). Not sure there are many apprenticeships around & the vast number of students stay on at school. 
    My 18 & 17 yr olds left school at 16, they do none of the above - they go to work (and pay tax). My 18 yr old (he is 19 later this month) was in the first year of this new rule, never been followed up. A rule to keep benefit claimants down.

They are both happy, hardworking, earning decent dough.
  • edited March 2019
    Loads of apprenticeships about now that offer day release course at both colleges and universities. It does not matter what you want to do, you are better off with a qualification in the subject to prove too employers or customers that you know what you are doing.

Would you let an unqualified electrician, plasterer, builder loose on your house? An untrained child minder look after your children? Qualifications matter, and they are for everyone. Best thing the state has done for the working class since the National Health.
  • Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:
    As someone that went to Eaglesfield dissing it is only the start of what should happen. Place should be bulldozed, was falling apart when I was there.

Last time I went past I noticed they'd ruined one of the only 2 good things about it and built all over the playing field.

Pool you say? It was called Shooters Hill Grammar when I went there. No pool then....and we had to lick the playground clean  :)
  • Join the Army! Best experience for a young person.
  • Redrobo said:
    Loads of apprenticeships about now that offer day release course at both colleges and universities. It does not matter what you want to do, you are better off with a qualification in the subject to prove too employers or customers that you know what you are doing.

Would you let an unqualified electrician, plasterer, builder loose on your house? An untrained child minder look after your children? Qualifications matter, and they are for everyone. Best thing the state has done for the working class since the National Health.
    But say you don't want a "vocation" or a "trade", but just want to work......say in your father's business or just as a lowly insurance clerk for example. 

• Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I got five years in there, but eventually got out. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    JaShea99 said:

Pool you say? It was called Shooters Hill Grammar when I went there. No pool then....and we had to lick the playground clean  :)
    It was Shooters Hill when I started there, and we didn’t have a playground - we had a quadrangle.