Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• I didn't particularly like 'Derek' but watched the first three episodes of this on the bounce last night and will watch the rest tonight. Difficult subject matter for a comedy but it worked well. Typical Gervais in many respects but good supporting cast as well.
  • His best since The Office.
  • I am old enough to remember when dropping the c-bomb on TV was simply unthinkable, you could only just get away with the f-bomb after 10PM but the c-bomb was just a complete no-no, even in the movies if I recall correctly.

Now I hear the c-bomb on TV quite regularly and it's not something I really think should be going on, just no real need for it.
    I was going to ask about this, is the watershed not a thing anymore? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    “For the bread I use my own....”

I thought I was having a heart attack for a minute. 

One of the the funniest scenes ever. Maybe not everyones’s cup of tea though. 

Saw a comment above about cliches. Certainly one or two stereotypes in there, eg the 
    tart with the heart
    Roisin Conaty....would ya?
  • The main problem I have with it, having finished it now, is that anything RG wants to say with the series is literally just spoken by the characters, rather than shown - "you are a good man, Tony," "I am in pain," "doing good things can make your little piece of the world better."
  • Loved it ... I thought it was really human... 
  • The main problem I have with it, having finished it now, is that anything RG wants to say with the series is literally just spoken by the characters, rather than shown - "you are a good man, Tony," "I am in pain," "doing good things can make your little piece of the world better."
    A bit too much exposition you reckon... yeah I get what you mean
  • I gave up where he's laying in to the editor for being weak.  Something just didn't work for me.
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Watched episode 1, won't watch anymore. Crap.
    The irony is that , that sentence could almost come straight out of the depressed version of Tony’s , mouth . 
    Not actually sure you know what irony means but by all means keep editing your post.  Anyway I put my thoughts on this rubbish on the New TV Series thread. Really don't see why it needed it's own thread. Gervais needs to try and come up with a different format. His shock/outrage humour has been done time and again, chiefly by himself but always better by Larry David. 
    I know what Beds meant, and he wasn’t being rude, if that’s what you thought. 
    Pretty sure Gervais doesn’t need to try and come up with a different format necessarily. This series has been hugely well received, although of course some won’t enjoy it. My wife for example isn’t a fan so won’t watch it. 
  • DA9 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    “For the bread I use my own....”

I thought I was having a heart attack for a minute. 

One of the the funniest scenes ever. Maybe not everyones’s cup of tea though. 

Saw a comment above about cliches. Certainly one or two stereotypes in there, eg the 
    tart with the heart
    Roisin Conaty....would ya?
    Now that's a proper would ya 
  • Sponsored links:

• I am old enough to remember when dropping the c-bomb on TV was simply unthinkable, you could only just get away with the f-bomb after 10PM but the c-bomb was just a complete no-no, even in the movies if I recall correctly.

Now I hear the c-bomb on TV quite regularly and it's not something I really think should be going on, just no real need for it.
    It’s on Netflix...
  • edited March 2019
    JaShea99 said:
    I am old enough to remember when dropping the c-bomb on TV was simply unthinkable, you could only just get away with the f-bomb after 10PM but the c-bomb was just a complete no-no, even in the movies if I recall correctly.

It’s on Netflix...
    Ah, ok, Netflix gives age warnings and prewarns about sex/violence/drugs/bad language etc, so I'm not sure I agree it's a problem

Edit: After life is rated 15
  • binge watched all 6 episodes last night and thought it was fantastic, brilliant writing by Ricky Gervais and my mrs (who doesn't like him) also said it was brilliant.
  • Greenie said:
    I am old enough to remember when dropping the c-bomb on TV was simply unthinkable, you could only just get away with the f-bomb after 10PM but the c-bomb was just a complete no-no, even in the movies if I recall correctly.

It really makes me laugh how people get offended by one word. Especially if the word is not aimed it you. Its just a word, utter madness.
    Anyway FWIW  - I am in the middle of the series and I'm really enjoying it.
    This. It’s a word, it can’t hurt you. You give it more power by getting so upset over it.
  • Just finished it - a two day binge. I’m getting soft. Emotional. 
  • Found it a bit depressing TBH. Then again I have lost a couple of close relatives including my mother the last couple of years to the real shitty C word.
  • Greenie said:

It really makes me laugh how people get offended by one word. Especially if the word is not aimed it you. Its just a word, utter madness.
    Anyway FWIW  - I am in the middle of the series and I'm really enjoying it.
    Agreed, it’s literally a noise that comes out of a mouth ffs how can something like that offend people 
  • Never really got how 1 swear word is so much worse than literally every other swear word.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never really got how 1 swear word is so much worse than literally every other swear word.
    It's rediculous as to why people hate swearing so much.

I understand that such words should never be said Infront of kids. 100%. You do not want your child to be saying any of that stuff or hearing any of it.

Adults can surely handle it though!

Let's go to the C*** word.

It is simply just another phrase for a ladies private parts.

What's the problem?

It is the human body....with a slight "I've just snapped a bit" aggressive direct wound up tone.

Really is not the worst thing in the world.

• Watched all six episodes over a few hours, and really liked it.

Certainly very different to what RG has done before, and whilst the laughs were definitely still there, it was the moments of tenderness and heartbreak that will remain in the memory the longest.

What you would say about RG is that he is not afraid to explore complex areas such as grief, loneliness, old age, addiction and depression, and to get people talking about them, rather than putting them in the 'too hard' box.

Having said all that I totally understand those that don't 'get' RG, as his stand up routine does very little for me, but I have loved all of his TV work.

I didn't think that AL was flawless, and agree that some of the writing seemed a little clumsy and forced. Secondary to this, was that some of the plot lines, such as the junky delivering the local paper and the loveably prostitute didn't quite feel right to me.

Nevertheless the central narrative was strong, and I thought that the continual flashbacks to his wife on the laptop worked really well, as it accentuated the sense of loss around RG's character.

Definitely worth a watch, though I agree that the 'C' bomb was a trifle over-done, and that is coming from somebody that isn't generally offended by bad language.
  • The c word is only an expletive if you really enforce the T on the end 

if you say it whilst joking or messing with your pals and the t is just softly used at the end it’s a term of endearment 

i know loads of good c@@ts

and not to many C@@Ts
  • Brilliant, recommend to pretty much anyone bar @Riviera lol 

Easy to watch (watched in one go), my kind of humour and also touches on a few things that can be quite sensitive, found it quite feel good aswell surprisingly

*Thumbs up!  
  • I personally think it's the best thing he's done. Funny and genuinely moving. The graveyard bench scenes with Penelope Wilton were very sweet, with an unforced rapport between the two characters/actors.
  • edited March 2019
    hawksmoor said:
    I personally think it's the best thing he's done. Funny and genuinely moving. The graveyard bench scenes with Penelope Wilton were very sweet, with an unforced rapport between the two characters/actors.
    Agree, AfterLife and the Office are on a par.
  • edited March 2019
    Ricky Gervais is a divisive personality and many viewers decided fairly early on in his career whether they like him or not. They then became entrenched in this view and now either don’t give his work a chance or automatically like anything he does just because it’s him.
    I like some of his stuff - found The Office and the podcasts brilliant, thought Extras and Derek was ok. I thought After Life was pretty good, but the thing I disliked most about it was that he recycled quite a lot of old material. Lots of the jokes and situations he’d already done on stage or on the podcasts years ago - the breastmilk rice pudding woman being a prime example.
    Apart from that, thought it was funny and moving, but there were issues with characters being incomplete or miscast and some plot devices going nowhere, but overall, thought it was quite a nice, thought provoking piece.
  • Watched 5 episodes last night, will watch the last one tonight but loved the rest.

As others have said a great mix of poignancy and humour. 

The octopus and rice pudding bits had me in stitches.

Your puppy is very cute RM!
  • My point of view FWIW, is it's funny enough, but I don't agree with those that say it's original. Pretty much all the characters, all the jokes, all the situations could be transposed into any of his other sitcoms. I feel that he has been a bit lazy here and shoehorned his usual material into a sensitive situation, purely to prove that there is no taboo subject as far as he is concerned. Haven't finished it all but will do . Only 6/10 for me I'm afraid.