Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Premier league referee vs Portsmouth

Experienced Referee Roger East will referee the game vs Portsmouth this Saturday live on sky Sports 

Comments

• He refereed the protest game when Burnley beat us 3-0 to win the League in 2016.
    He and his officials ran off the pitch at the end.
  • East is a good referee, got that bald tough guy thing going .. nice picture of him in the weekend papers .. Roy Keane is backing away from him .. don't fuck with Roger ((:>)
  • If we lose he’s an absolute joke of a referee, why do we always get them, we’re so hard done by 
    if we win and he disallows a contentious goal for Pompey , fair play , he’s a decent ref , wish we could have more like him 
    Yes, you are correct oohaah, BUT the worse referee we've had at the valley this season is James Linnington who was shocking in the 1-0 defeat to Peterborough BUT was even worse in the 2-0 win over Barnsley, when he bottled a decision when Grant was brought down by their last man in the first few minutes, disallowed a Cafc goal from a corner with only the Barnsley defender impeding the keeper and was erratic the whole game.

At least Brian Kettle is consistent, you know he loves a red card and an Aussie soap ?

Home and away players taking an early bath.
  • edited March 2019
    Another reason why Premier League fans need to shut the f**k up when moaning about the standard of refereeing at that level

I know League One isnt as fast but god the improvement when you compare East with the likes of Stroud or Linnington is a joke at what we have to put up with
    Same disparity between players at div 1 standard and that of Premier League players. Natural progression for better referees and better players to officiate and play at a higher level.
  • A comment was made that Taylor was hard done by when he was trying to keep the ball near to the corner flag BUT I believe Roger East was correct in the fact that Lyle was "making a back" even though usual to see the free kick given unless players are jumping for a ball.

Roger East was the best ref at the valley by a mile and even if Portsmouth had mugged us and scored those two chances in the last 15 minutes it was still a premier performance.

Shame he didn't do the Accrington game.
    To be honest I dont care what reason East gave for giving them a Free Kick - For me Taylor (and anyone else) goes into that part of the field with no intention of properly playing the ball so is little better than obstruction in my eyes
  • A comment was made that Taylor was hard done by when he was trying to keep the ball near to the corner flag BUT I believe Roger East was correct in the fact that Lyle was "making a back" even though usual to see the free kick given unless players are jumping for a ball.

Roger East was the best ref at the valley by a mile and even if Portsmouth had mugged us and scored those two chances in the last 15 minutes it was still a premier performance.

To be honest I dont care what reason East gave for giving them a Free Kick - For me Taylor (and anyone else) goes into that part of the field with no intention of properly playing the ball so is little better than obstruction in my eyes
    It is not obstruction in the eyes of the Laws of the Game. The difference between "obstruction" and "shielding the ball", is that if the ball is in "playing distance" then it cant be obstruction.
  • Sponsored links:

• A comment was made that Taylor was hard done by when he was trying to keep the ball near to the corner flag BUT I believe Roger East was correct in the fact that Lyle was "making a back" even though unusual to see the free kick given unless players are jumping for a ball.

Playing devils advocate, it's easier to give a decision like that early so nothing come of it.   If a Pompey player had flown in and caught Taylor then all hell would have broken loose and we could have had a brawl, yellow cards, red cards etc.

If he gives a foul it prevents that.  He'll have a few moans from fans and players but after 20 seconds it's forgotten about.

Better to be proactive than reactive in those situations.  

Shows why he's a premier league referee, unlike the gormless morons we usually get!

• Meanwhile tommorow nights referee is in his first professional season in the football league. Got promoted from the conference in the summer. Could be very different from Roger East performance on Saturday 😀
  • Meanwhile tommorow nights referee is in his first professional season in the football league. Got promoted from the conference in the summer. Could be very different from Roger East performance on Saturday 😀
    Hopefully says a lot to me... Young Referee on the rise with potential so we'll see him in the Premier League in a few years - Rather than one who has been promoted because they're too good for the Conference but cant keep up with the Football League
  • I would agree with the above, excellent performance from Mr. East - and I would add that players from both sides showed him the respect he deserved and didn't attempt to pressure him in any way. He made his decisions and they were accepted.
  • bobmunro said:
    I would agree with the above, excellent performance from Mr. East - and I would add that players from both sides showed him the respect he deserved and didn't attempt to pressure him in any way. He made his decisions and they were accepted.
    Apart from their striker Hawkins who got booked for dissent. But yes they all seemed to respect him which is how it should be ! 
  • It frustrates me that they ackonwledge the refereeing standards in League 1 are shite so when it's on TV they give us a good one.  Then for the game nobody will see highlights of we get a noob who, let's face it, is going to be crap.
  • Swisdom said:
    It frustrates me that they ackonwledge the refereeing standards in League 1 are shite so when it's on TV they give us a good one.  Then for the game nobody will see highlights of we get a noob who, let's face it, is going to be crap.
    Swisdom said:
    It frustrates me that they ackonwledge the refereeing standards in League 1 are shite so when it's on TV they give us a good one.  Then for the game nobody will see highlights of we get a noob who, let's face it, is going to be crap.

@Swisdom !!

Let me offer my experience of refereeing at a decent level (albeit some years ago) and maybe you, and others like you, will moderate your views a wee bit.

It is fair to say that the best referees get to the top of the refereeing tree, due to the complexity and length of the refereeing pyramid system and the various "checks and balances" that are in place along that route to ensure that is the case. The degree of scrutiny of today's referees is far greater than in my day. The only exception is that some referees who start that career path at a relatively old age do not achieve their full potential, because age restrictions, at a senior level, play their part in ultimate progression. 

There are now 11 categories that today's referee have to pass through to reach the top of the pyramid (in my day, it was just three). Progression from each category has "checks and balances" that at the lower end of the scale start with club marks and a minimum of three match assessments over a season by senior (ex) referees, and progresses up the ladder to include an annual fitness test on the track; even further up the ladder, regular weight checks etc etc. Within this system, some, but very few referees, reach the top of the pyramid, and other find their true refereeing level lower down in the pyramid. Given the above described "checks and balances", it is impossible for "shite" referees (your word) to achieve such a high status as division 1, It is fair to say that Premier League referees will be better than div 1 referees, due to the fact that they have demonstrated their slightly superior skills and boosted by the fact that as full time employees, they can, and do, devote much time to honing their skills, supported by a lot of interactive day time courses and game analysis by the Premier League Referees Organisation. 

@ForeverAddickted referred in a posting above to the poor quality of Mr Linnington. I would respectfully suggest that the said referee has probably only refereed us once (a guess on my part), so how can a referee be judge on just one game? Besides which, all referees are assessed on every game by ex top referees and those with the lowest marks are relegated after two (?) consecutive seasons, to make way for up and coming young and potential referee stars of the future. How comes therefore that the likes of Mr Linnington and Mr Stroud continue to referee at this level, given their overall seasonal marks clearly do not reflect the views of (unqualified) supporters on the terraces.

So far as question 2 is concerned, I offer the following views. I cannon see the average supporter has sufficient expertise relating to the game of soccer to judge professionals? Professional referees, ie those that are in football full time employment carry out 40 plus hours in their work environment, from continuous fitness tests and monitoring thereof, interactive class seminars to review past incidents, to training on positional play, to the art of man management in stressful situations, etc,etc, etc. This level of dedication and hard work, compared with the average supporter, who spends just 90 minutes per week on the terraces. I wouldn't dream of judging you @Swisdom in your full time employment, whatever that may be; I simply would not have the expertise to make judgement.The other factor of wannabe experts (and this term is not meant in a derogatory way), is that we can all become post-match experts on a specific incident by looking at the on-line Laws of the Game and make judgement. In my day of refereeing, non referees would need to carry around with them a hard copy of The Laws of the Game to be in touch with decisions; and that never happened. Referees today, have to know the laws and their various interpretations within their head, analysis a situation in nana-seconds and make a decision (except of course with VAR-aided situations). 

I finish by saying that in spite of all defending of referees above, they are human and not manufactured robots and are liable to make mistakes. The better referees make the least number of mistakes

Hope this helps you to better understand the complexities and degree of difficulty of refereeing. I look forward to seeing any response you care to make.

Have a good day.

• And boy did it show . Excellent reffing all game 
  • Don't get me wrong @PeterGage - it's a completely thankless task.  But the ref we had at the weekend was very very good.  The majority this season have not been.

The refs I see at my kids football (U7's) get grief
    I went to see Corinthian vs Fisher last week and the ref got absolute pelters all game.  I was sat next to the guys grading the referee as the previous match had been more like a fight where a bit of football broke out and the Fisher players were all over him.  Sadly they influenced him several times when he looked to be letting the game go and then called it back due to the vociferous nature of the Fisher player's yelling.  That shouldn't happen.

I really don't envy them at all and it is a thankless task but some refs we get are just on a different planet.  The guy we had at the weekend proved it is possible to be in control, authoritative but also let the game flow.  They are the basics of the role.

TBF the players have a huge amount to answer for with gamesmanship/shithousery as they make it infinitely harder
    Hopefully says a lot to me... Young Referee on the rise with potential so we'll see him in the Premier League in a few years - Rather than one who has been promoted because they're too good for the Conference but cant keep up with the Football League
    Come to The Valley and see the Premier League referees of the future...
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Don't get me wrong @PeterGage - it's a completely thankless task.  But the ref we had at the weekend was very very good.  The majority this season have not been.

The refs I see at my kids football (U7's) get grief
    I went to see Corinthian vs Fisher last week and the ref got absolute pelters all game.  I was sat next to the guys grading the referee as the previous match had been more like a fight where a bit of football broke out and the Fisher players were all over him.  Sadly they influenced him several times when he looked to be letting the game go and then called it back due to the vociferous nature of the Fisher player's yelling.  That shouldn't happen.

I really don't envy them at all and it is a thankless task but some refs we get are just on a different planet.  The guy we had at the weekend proved it is possible to be in control, authoritative but also let the game flow.  They are the basics of the role.

TBF the players have a huge amount to answer for with gamesmanship/shithousery as they make it infinitely harder
    Thanks @Swisdom for your response. Referees officiating under 7s are usually real novices and often very young and are at the beginning of their career. I would not expect them to have many skills at that stage. My local Colts club, fielding 27 teams from 6 to 18, do not tolerate any abuse of referees by their officials, managers or players.