Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 09 Mar | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth
Saturday 9th March 2019 … 5:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Roger East

Introduction
In life people say that you have to make your own luck yet there will always be occasions when its handed to you on a plate. Defeat up against Doncaster Rovers last Saturday would have been hard to take, especially after the opening exchanges, yet many Charlton fans will feel as though we got away with it after the late drama at the Keepmoat… Its impossible to dwell on past results though and its straight on to the next one; this Saturday will see the Valley lit up for the SKY cameras, the race for the Play-Offs is beginning to hot up, it’s the turn of Portsmouth to make the trip to SE7

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth | Manager: Kenny Jackett
Ground: Fratton Park

In all the years the loan market has been in existence I’ve never known a January Transfer Window like this one, all over the Football League teams would be receiving the news that parent clubs would be wanting players back early and so potentially derail the early season form for that side… Thankfully for Charlton the loss of Jed Steer hasn’t been felt, its on the South Coast though that the loss has without doubt been felt.

Most notably for Portsmouth it was Ben Thompson who in the midfield would provide the anchor for their promotion push and so make Pompey look unstoppable against all teams at this level (Unless from your from the South East of England). Millwall though are in their own difficulties I’m happy to say and needed their player back, since that moment its been a 2019 of woe for Kenny Jackett and his side, winless in eight, the rot was finally stopped against Bradford City last weekend (a 5-1 win), has it been stopped though, or is it just a temporary pause to give football fans that cruel false hope!!

Without doubt; for Charlton and Portsmouth you have to argue that promotion can now only come via. the Play-Offs yet as proven at Fratton Park; Pompey are a strong side; they did still strengthen in January and in Omar Bogle and James Vaughan have two Strikers that can hurt any side at this level

The theme was carried on in the original fixture yet with the scoreline being 2-1 or 1-0 to either team in all but in the last twelve meetings (all but two games that it) that’s been the result – Which team will achieve it this time round in what could be a dress rehearsal for what’ll no doubt be a frantic Play-Off Semi-Final encounter.

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday was a relief for the Addicks fans as it meant for one of the few times this season that Lee Bowyer was able to name what many consider his strongest side – Your best eleven players though doesn’t mean that you’ll have the best team and with Charlton looking nervy against Doncaster you have to question if changes will be wrung once more.

The notable absence in Yorkshire was the new signing: Josh Parker… Having been struck down by a virus it was clear on the Friday that he would miss the trip North yet with two goals for the U23s that day you’d hope that he can return and do the same for the first eleven – Tariqe Fosu has been an enigma this season with fans never knowing which player will turn up but you could argue that we were treated to the Tariqe we all know and love so may be pushing for his own starting berth.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
Williams
Parker | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Lapslie | Reeves | Vetokele | Fosu

Prediction
Not going to lie these next two games at the Valley are going to be tough, although with us reaching the business end you’d expect all to be like that (with those at all ends fighting for their lives) – Two bad results this week at the Valley could allow teams outside the Play-Offs to close the gap once more, our home has become a fortress though so its imperative we return Pompey to their recent bad form!!... COYR!!

Comments

• Curse of the Sky TV cameras to strike again?? I see another draw, 1-1.
  • Igor will start again, and Parker will be a sub. I'll miss this one as I'm flying the whole of game time. I expect a 1.1 draw when I turn on my phone on landing...
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Vetokele is not doing the business, he was almost anonymous/awol at Doncaster .. Parker can't be any less effective, at least I hope that's the case .. we won't know until he plays a game or two ..
    Pompey seem to have got over their nosedive, wins 3-0 at Bury, one of the L2 pacemakers and over Bradford (albeit  they're in terrible form) serve a warning that they are back in goal scoring form
    I am concerned with our lack of penetration down the wings, we are the wingless wonders a t m but that is down to a combination of tactics and available players. We are doing OK except for an absolute drought when it comes to scoring .. Shoot chaps, have a shot now and then.
    Having typed all that, I think we are gonna win this one. It should be a good game for the neutrals, a nail biter for Addicks fans, a smack in the chops for Pompeyites

CAFC 2 v Portsmouth 0
  • Vetokele is not doing the business, he was almost anonymous/awol at Doncaster .. Parker can't be any less effective, at least I hope that's the case .. we won't know until he plays a game or two ..
    Pompey seem to have got over their nosedive, wins 3-0 at Bury, one of the L2 pacemakers and over Bradford (albeit  they're in terrible form) serve a warning that they are back in goal scoring form
    I am concerned with our lack of penetration down the wings, we are the wingless wonders a t m but that is down to a combination of tactics and available players. We are doing OK except for an absolute drought when it comes to scoring .. Shoot chaps, have a shot now and then.
    Having typed all that, I think we are gonna win this one. It should be a good game for the neutrals, a nail biter for Addicks fans, a smack in the chops for Pompeyites

CAFC 2 v Portsmouth 0
    I think Bowyer said somewhere that Igor was suffering from the virus but had to play as we were out of options.  Wassim was in neither squad, so must have also suffered.
  • Sky game . Not scoring . Turmoil behind the scenes . I’m going for a big fat 0-0 
  • 1-0 tricky win, cement playoff position, autos are gone im afraid 
    Has anybody looked at what remaining fixtures the teams above us have? There must be games against each other in there that will mean somebody has to drop points. We just need to win our games and close the gap again point by point, starting Saturday. 2-0 to the Addicks 
  • edited March 2019
    1-0 tricky win, cement playoff position, autos are gone im afraid 
    Has anybody looked at what remaining fixtures the teams above us have? There must be games against each other in there that will mean somebody has to drop points. We just need to win our games and close the gap again point by point, starting Saturday. 2-0 to the Addicks 
    Games that the current top six have against each other are:

Luton: Doncaster (23/03 - H) | Charlton (13/04 - A)
    Barnsley: Sunderland (12/03 - H) | Doncaster (15/03 - A)
    Sunderland: Barnsley (12/03 - A) | Doncaster (19/04 - H) | Portsmouth (27/04 - H)
    Portsmouth: Charlton (09/03 - A) | Sunderland (27/04 - A)
    Charlton: Portsmouth (09/03 - H) | Luton (13/04) - H)
    Doncaster: Barnsley (15/03 - H) | Luton (23/03 - A) | Sunderland (19/04 - A)

So a very tough group of games coming for Doncaster
  • 2 - 1 to Charlton , Taylor , back with a bang for both !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    1-0 tricky win, cement playoff position, autos are gone im afraid 

Sunderland: Barnsley (12/03 - A) | Doncaster (19/04 - H) | Portsmouth (27/04 - H)
    Charlton: Portsmouth (09/03 - H) | Luton (13/04) - A)

one correction (so far lol) .. our Luton game is at home 

Its what happens when your lazy and just copy and paste...
  • It's on Sky so we should all know what the result will be. Can see a re-run of last season's game. Once again our lack of goals will be the telling factor. 0-1 or worse.

Ok now go and prove me wrong!!!!!

Its what happens when your lazy and just copy and paste...
    you think that's bad .. I booked a hotel and train tickets for the weekend Luton game BUT, for the wrong weekend .. so I'll be museum/gallery cruising while CAFC are at Oxford over Easter .. f f s !
  • edited March 2019
    Good preview as always. Dunno what to think of this one. Sky curse? Surely Roland’s meltdown is having some effect on the squad and management?  Will this be the game where Bowyer’s hunch that we are going to batter someone comes true? The latter would need a change in tactics and an upturn in scoring ability. There’s always hope. 
  • One thing I did notice is that Peterborough’s run-in is not all that bad! I thought they were terrible but you just never know! 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    One thing I did notice is that Peterborough’s run-in is not all that bad! I thought they were terrible but you just never know! 
    Still have to go to Portsmouth and host Sunderland

Plus they've ties against Blackpool and Coventry who may themselves be trying to attempt a last thrust at the Play-Offs
    its not the other teams around us that are the problem since grants penatly miss and depature we have looked wank lets not pretend we aren't the performance against blackpool was rubbish. 
  • 1-1 for me. Potential preview of a playoff semi-final.
  •  I would leave Bielik on the bench and bring in Fosu to give us more of an attacking edge.

Phillips. 
    Solly. Bauer. Sarr. Purrington 
    Williams. Cullen. Aribo. Fosu
               Taylor.   Parker. 

We so need to win this. COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• pompey arent in blistering from themselves last 10 in league 

WDDDDDLWLL

scoring goals is not there problem, defending them is. 
  • We got this, they are in poor form and we will pull out a blinder 3-1 to the addicks! 
  • I try to be optomistic on this thread even when I don't feel it.
    This is a game niether side can afford to lose.
    I expect a 1.1 bore draw.
    Sorry to sound downbeat but it's how I see it.
  • I am sorry for those who follow the match day thread, but because it is on Sky, I am going to do what I am unable to normally do and watch the game. By mentioning it now, I hope someone can pick up the mantle and do the match day thread for me this week. Thank you. Result, it is on Sky, which normally means not a win, plus we have not had many good results lately, but I can hope 2-1
  • ross1 said:
    I am sorry for those who follow the match day thread, but because it is on Sky, I am going to do what I am unable to normally do and watch the game. By mentioning it now, I hope someone can pick up the mantle and do the match day thread for me this week. Thank you. Result, it is on Sky, which normally means not a win, plus we have not had many good results lately, but I can hope 2-1
    Boooooo!

Seriously though hopefully a nice comfortable 5-0 win with 5 different Charlton scorers for you to enjoy mate
  • Roger East as the ref? I'm sure he's be doing premier league matches weekly for seasons. I wonder why we have him and I wonder if he'll be any better than the crap we normally have.
  • ReeCAFC15 said:
    Roger East as the ref? I'm sure he's be doing premier league matches weekly for seasons. I wonder why we have him and I wonder if he'll be any better than the crap we normally have.
    Because it would be embarrassing to have a usual division 1 referee live on TV with pundits reviewing his decisions. 

He is better. A lot better.

We should benefit from a stronger ref. I hope I have not now jinxed us!
  • Portsmouth have sold over 3,000 seats in the Jimmy Seed Stand for the match and tickets are on restricted sale to prevent Pompey fans from buying in the home areas.

Placing a match on restricted sale in the event of the away end selling out is standard practice for the club and all Charlton supporters registered on the club’s ticketing database before March 7th can still buy tickets for the game.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c813d5ea3bad/tickets-portsmouth-match-placed-on-restricted-sale-as-jimmy-seed-stand-sells-out

• Fosu should start , IMO.