Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley Pitch......

Comments

• I remember this game. The new signing, John Sneddon, had a stinker. Having said that, so did the rest of the Charlton team. Nothing changes.
  • How it was in 1937
  • I remember this game. Match of the Day at this time was on the new BBC 2 channel. We didn’t have a telly that could pick up BBC2 but my friend’s family did. His parents said I could go and watch it there but my mum wouldn’t let me because it on was so late. I was 8 years old and devastated. It would have been the first time I would have seen Charlton on telly.
  • That game would never be played nowdays....not in a million years.

2 things I take from that era, and from anything up to the 1990's for that matter.....no passing around the back (which makes for a much faster paced game) and with back passes allowed it again speeds things up. 
  • edited March 2019
    Bring back the big punt upfield to Leaburn, with the big man holding the ball and bringing Williams, Mortimer and Bennett into play. Didn't need a decent pitch then - just as well since the Selhurst pitch wasn't anywhere near as good as the Valley pitches produced by Maurice Banham.
  • Good grief. Did I spot a very young Johnnie Jackson emptying a bottle of water on that pitch at half time? :wink:

I was probably at that game, although I don't remember it. Very strange to have the camera positioned behind a goal.
  • That game would never be played nowdays....not in a million years.

2 things I take from that era, and from anything up to the 1990's for that matter.....no passing around the back (which makes for a much faster paced game) and with back passes allowed it again speeds things up. 
    If you think allowing back passes sped up the game then you are very much wrong in my opinion.

Nothing worse than watching a game back then where goalie rolls out to left back, gets ball kicked back to him. Rolls out to right back - passed straight back etc