Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Speed Cameras

on Sunday I was making the journey down to Devon and from my home at Shooters Hill took the A2 towards Darford in order to join the M25 at Darenth. I got onto the M25 at about 10:30 ish. As I was roughly mid point between the A2 junction and the A20 junction there is a speed camera on the opposite carriageway. As I was approaching from the other direction I could see this flashing from perhaps 500 metres away. From the moment I saw it go off first time until the point I was past it I saw it flash 6 or seven times. 

Now I’m not making any comment here as to the rights or wrongs of speed cameras and their purpose but if I saw that camera in the course of 20 seconds flash let’s say six times I wonder just how much revenue was made that day and in general. The traffic flow was not huge but steady and all moving well. 

I thought that speed cameras were now supposed to be placed at strategic spots where accidents are common and not just on long stretches of carriageway in order to make money. I’ve no idea if this stretch of the M25 is an accident black spot.

my motivation for the post is the shear number of potential prosecutions this would generate and the resulting income.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Its the SMART Motorways that are in place now

If your going in either direction between those two junctions and other sections of the M25 etc. now and see a Speed limit sign within a red circle then do that speed limit as its not a speed limit sign "suggesting" that you drop to that speed

They're bloody annoying when its obviously clear that your being reduced down to 50-mph for no reason and have clear roads, plus its bloody dangerous if the first sign tells you to drop to 60mph and then the next tells you to drop to 40mph as you've not got much time to reduce your speed accordingly
  • It's very confusing on some roads where the speed limit varies between 40 and 50 - if drivers see a camera or the road markings nearby they'll often hit the brakes as they're not sure what the limit is. They sometimes seem to detract from road safety if people become focussed on avoiding a ticket.

Easy way to raise revenue.
  • on Sunday I was making the journey down to Devon and from my home at Shooters Hill took the A2 towards Darford in order to join the M25 at Darenth. I got onto the M25 at about 10:30 ish. As I was roughly mid point between the A2 junction and the A20 junction there is a speed camera on the opposite carriageway. As I was approaching from the other direction I could see this flashing from perhaps 500 metres away. From the moment I saw it go off first time until the point I was past it I saw it flash 6 or seven times.

I hope you weren't too distracted by the camera on the other carriageway as there's one on your side too!
  • The M23 has been a nightmare to use for ages while they turn it into a 'SMART' motorway - can anyone explain what purpose 'Smart' motorways serve?
  • The M23 has been a nightmare to use for ages while they turn it into a 'SMART' motorway - can anyone explain what purpose 'Smart' motorways serve?
    Justification for permanent average speed cameras, which I would imagine are a great source of revenue.
  • The A2 has average speed cameras from the first dual carriageway to the M25. 
  • Rizzo said:
    The M23 has been a nightmare to use for ages while they turn it into a 'SMART' motorway - can anyone explain what purpose 'Smart' motorways serve?
    Justification for permanent average speed cameras, which I would imagine are a great source of revenue.
    But do they save lives?
  • They're also to remove the Hard Shoulders and make them usable for traffic when the roads are really busy

Its a great idea but a load of shit... Was travelling back down the M6 between Birmingham and the M1 a few weeks ago and likewise there are loads of roadworks whilst they're in turn installed - Some poor bloke broke down a few cars in front of me, put their hazards on but because there was no hard shoulder had to just sit there, because it was so sudden I'm still yet to understand how the car between us and me didnt go into the back of him (Thankfully because we left enough room)

Of course if they didnt bother installing SMART Motorways and just left as is; the broken down car would have been able to move out of everyones way and so avoid any potential accidents!!
  • Think this is really all about capacity.

If everybody drives steadily at the same speed with no overtaking you can pump more cars down the road and we don't have to build new ones. 

I don't think the government really care about raising a few hundred million from speeding fines. But they do want to save themselves spending billions on more infrastructure.
  • Sponsored links:

If everybody drives steadily at the same speed with no overtaking you can pump more cars down the road and we don't have to build new ones. 

I don't think the government really care about raising a few hundred million from speeding fines. But they do want to save themselves spending billions on more infrastructure.
    Agreed.
  • Rizzo said:
    on Sunday I was making the journey down to Devon and from my home at Shooters Hill took the A2 towards Darford in order to join the M25 at Darenth. I got onto the M25 at about 10:30 ish. As I was roughly mid point between the A2 junction and the A20 junction there is a speed camera on the opposite carriageway. As I was approaching from the other direction I could see this flashing from perhaps 500 metres away. From the moment I saw it go off first time until the point I was past it I saw it flash 6 or seven times.

I hope you weren't too distracted by the camera on the other carriageway as there's one on your side too!
    I never go over the limit well not since I was flashed last year.

Thats never going to happen though... Even when the Motorway tells you to do 50mph there is always going to be the bloke tailgating wanting to speed past and risk the speed camera not going off or you'll have someone poodling along at 40mph
  • edited March 2019
    I am in Lincoln Mags Court next Monday to fight a potential ban. I have been caught 7 times in the past 2 & 1/2 years by speed cams .. 7/8 miles over the limit every time and on one day I was nicked twice, near Lincoln and in Nottingham.
     In the previous 47 years of driving I had been nicked twice for speeding. It's the rural areas where the money is made, silly limits and empty straight roads. 
    YES I know I should have kept to the limits bla bla blah but even so. It's this cavalier attitude by the gov towards the general public/road user that makes me determined not to pay a penny more in tax and rates and all the other demands the gov makes on my money, than is necessary.   
    As @ShootersHillGuru writes, the gov is cashing in big time. On at least three occasions when I was nicked I was in a stream of traffic when presumably all of us were nicked and will fork out a minimum £60. A curse on the speed cams and the computers which churn out the summonses.
  • Rizzo said:

I never go over the limit well not since I was flashed last year.
    The average speed cameras don’t flash. They are just linked to a system that issues tickets. Exceed the speed limit on the A2 and you stand a very good chance of getting a ticket. 
  • I am in Lincoln Mags Court next Monday to fight a potential ban. I have been caught 7 times in the past 2 & 1/2 years by speed cams .. 7/8 miles over the limit every time and on one day I was nicked twice, near Lincoln and in Nottingham.
     In the previous 47 years of driving I had been nicked twice for speeding. It's the rural areas where the money is made, silly limits and empty straight roads. 
    YES I know I should have kept to the limits bla bla blah but even so. It's this cavalier attitude by the gov towards the general public/road user that makes me determined not to pay a penny more in tax and rates and all the other demands the gov makes on my money, than is necessary.   
    As @ShootersHillGuru writes, the gov is cashing in big time. On at least three occasions when I was nicked I was in a stream of traffic when presumably all of us were nicked and will fork out a minimum £60. A curse on the speed cams and the computers which churn out the summonses.
    Wow. Once or even twice is unfortunate, but 7 times in 2.5 years is astounding.
  • SMART motorways are what cruise control was invented for.
  • Sponsored links:

It negates the slamming on of brakes when people are going far too fast and see a camera up ahead.

• Most cars come with three foot pedals. 
    By pressing your foot on the middle peddle your motor vehicle will travel a little slower. 
    Autos only have two and the new Nissan Leaf only has one.
  • Chizz said:
    I used to work with a woman who, whenever she saw an "average speed check" warning sign, would look around her to see what speeds the other cars were doing.  And, if there were some going quite slowly, she would feel free to speed up a bit. 
    Please tell me this is a joke and that it didnt actually happen... Would be happy to take a whoosh if so
  • Addickted said:
    SMART motorways are what cruise control was invented for.
    Ive got adaptive cruise control on my car. I set it for about 75ish and other people do the braking for me.
  • I am in Lincoln Mags Court next Monday to fight a potential ban. I have been caught 7 times in the past 2 & 1/2 years by speed cams .. 7/8 miles over the limit every time and on one day I was nicked twice, near Lincoln and in Nottingham.
    As @ShootersHillGuru writes, the gov is cashing in big time. On at least three occasions when I was nicked I was in a stream of traffic when presumably all of us were nicked and will fork out a minimum £60. A curse on the speed cams and the computers which churn out the summonses.

Having worked in this field for many years the reason why there are speed restrictions in rural locations is because of numerous hazards...no footpaths, cyclists, road widths, blind bends and running curves and hidden junctions and house and farm entrances. The highways authorities look at all roads sympathetically and these factors are determined in the maximum speed deemed safe for the particular road. The speed limits are simply just not made up.
  • edited March 2019
    Starts to look like a money making enterprise when 8 out of the ten most active speed cameras in the entire country are in one Policing area, in this case Avon and Somerset. I know that this area has both the M4, M5 and M32 over the bridges into Wales but I’m sure that other Police forces must have equally as much motorway and when looking at the M1 much more dangerous sections of motorway too. Seems disproportionate and goes against the current ethos of only having cameras in known areas of accidents.