Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

06/03/19: CARD wants commitments over 2019/20 manager, players and sale of club ahead of ST offer

The Coalition Against Roland Duchâtelet (CARD) is calling on Charlton fans to make clear that they will not commit to buying season tickets for the 2019/20 season until there is clarity about what will be left at The Valley to support.

After a week in which the club’s Belgian owner said on national radio that foreign club owners should be banned; criticised the EFL for allowing him to take Charlton over in 2014; said that he will not sell to a foreign owner; and then provoked national ridicule by “demanding” that the EFL should itself take the club over and operate it in competition with its other members, CARD says it is time for fans to take a stand.

Charlton currently have around a dozen first-team players out of contract at the end of the season and a further four loanees are set to leave, while manager Lee Bowyer and his assistant Johnnie Jackson’s deals are also up in the summer.

The club said it planned to discuss ticket prices at a twice-rescheduled fans’ forum meeting on Monday. It has no functioning board of directors and there has been no chief executive or chief financial officer for more than a year. It remains in dispute with its own staff over unpaid bonuses and Bowyer has said publicly that Duchâtelet would not allow him to sign a free agent to replace Karlan Grant, who joined Huddersfield Town in January for a reported £1.5m.

A CARD spokesperson said: “It must now be apparent to everyone, whatever their position over the last five years, that behind the scenes the club is in chaos and the owner is out of control. There is no commitment to the staff, no commitment to the players, no commitment to the manager and hence no commitment to the fans. Why would any supporter want to make a financial commitment to Duchâtelet in return?

“CARD believes that the fans’  forum should advise the club not to bring forward any season-ticket plan until it has a credible offer to make, including a commitment to the manager, a commitment to a proper squad of players and a serious effort to sell the club to new owners of whatever nationality at a credible market price.

“If the club does not heed this advice then we will campaign for fans to reject its season-ticket offer until it does. In effect we are calling for a strike that does not impact on the current team. We give Duchâtelet notice that our response may also include lawful protests against him in Belgium.”

Comments

• good stance but IF we got promoted people will not stay away and also there are a few thousand that will go regardless, tbh £150 for a season ticket is ridiculous value for live football. 

great idea but do not know whether it will work, desperately need a buyer but when they come in we are going to need a big investment to be able to compete. 
  • good stance but IF we got promoted people will not stay away and also there are a few thousand that will go regardless, tbh £150 for a season ticket is ridiculous value for live football. 

great idea but do not know whether it will work, desperately need a buyer but when they come in we are going to need a big investment to be able to compete. 
     But regardless of if we get promoted there won’t be a team to support.  

But regardless of if we get promoted there won’t be a team to support.  
    people will still attend the valley as generations have before them. 
  • Yeah but that seat I’ve sat in for 30 seasons might be sold to mr invisible so I’m taking up their early bird offer to save £0 on the increase that won’t happen further down the line , I just can’t wait 
    I might of guessed that the first post on a new initiative would be someone slagging off fellow fans because they don’t agree with them. Quite frankly I think it is pathetic.

Have you even read the statement, or are you just wallowing in your own self righteousness?

The statement is trying to explain that the last 5 years is very different to what is happening today. Digging your trenches a bit deeper is not going to help and you stand a good chance of pissing off the very fans that presumably you would wish to win over. 

I have always followed CARD. I did not renew until the date they suggested in previous years, and if they say do not renew next season, I will not.

I would also urge current season ticket holders to do the same. For CARD to be respected they need to be able to show that the vast majority of fans agree with what they say and will support them in anyway that is asked. Not to do so will render them irrelevant. Please, please do not renew until CARD say you may.
  • edited March 2019
    Exactly, card did not say do not buy a season ticket.. just wait.

If we got promoted, would we even have a squad for next season? It isn't looking like it either way! 

And can you see roland investing to bring a squad together? (competitive championship squad) absolutely not

• Sponsored links:

• Only point of note there is the last sentence 
  • I take it nothing positive came out of last night's FF meeting?!!
  • If CARD's worst case scenario becomes reality- Bowyer and Jackson gone along with all the loanees and out of contract players - I'll still go next season to support whatever remains of a team.
    That's what supporters do: they support the team.
  • Each to their own but I agree with SE7toSG3 and don't think it is that straightforward. 
  • "please do not renew until CARD say you may."

None of us need CARD's permission.

We are being asked, not told, what to do.

I welcome and agree with CARD's statement but will make my own decision to again not buy a season ticket or home match tickets.

Don’t be obtuse.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Actually I disagree @redskin, its not what supporters do, its not that simple and I suspect you too realise that, keep going, its your decision but dont for a minute suggest your any more a supporter than anyone else. 
    So, supporters don't support the team because 'it's not that simple'. That's interesting, but wrong by the very definition of the word 'supporter'.
    How you manage to presume I'm suggesting that I'm more of a supporter than anyone else is, frankly, wilful delusion on your part. I suggested nothing of the sort.

• Sponsored links:

• But you also know its not simply about the definition of a word, by stating 'its what supporters do: they support the team' I came to my wilful delusion, (a lovely phrase that I will use more often), I know many who are not supporting their team through buying a ST for home games but are still supporters, and the statement was simply a request to delay buying one. 

Again however, its only a suggestion so buy away    
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Actually I disagree @redskin, its not what supporters do, its not that simple and I suspect you too realise that, keep going, its your decision but dont for a minute suggest your any more a supporter than anyone else. 
    So, supporters don't support the team because 'it's not that simple'. That's interesting, but wrong by the very definition of the word 'supporter'.
    How you manage to presume I'm suggesting that I'm more of a supporter than anyone else is, frankly, wilful delusion on your part. I suggested nothing of the sort.

• Not sure who will disappear first - RD or Charlton? 

The lack of planning for next season suggests something has to happen. RD appears to have given up on his 'investment' completely so WTF is his exit plan?
  • edited March 2019
    good stance but IF we got promoted people will not stay away and also there are a few thousand that will go regardless, tbh £150 for a season ticket is ridiculous value for live football. 

Looking at Blackpool during the mass protest of past few seasons, they still had crowds of a few thousand each home game (although unsure of percentage of home/away crowd).
    The majority of our fans can still stay away with home attendances of a few thousand. You only have to look at our attendances during the first league one campaign compared to the past few seasons.
  • clb74 said:
    2 years too late CARD
    For the record I don't give a f@ck if we get promoted or not, I will not be renewing the season ticket next season.
    Agreed, but I think we still have to do this. If CARD can get the message out to as many supporters as possible early enough then we can have a meaningful impact on season tickets.
  • iainment said:
    "please do not renew until CARD say you may."

None of us need CARD's permission.

We are being asked, not told, what to do.

I welcome and agree with CARD's statement but will make my own decision to again not buy a season ticket or home match tickets.

Still willing to take freebies though?
    Absolutely and I have no qualms about it whatsoever.