Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player Contracts

There was talk during the transfer window of key players signing contract extensions when the transfer window was slammed shut.

Do you think Roland's big idea was to use the Karlan transfer fee to renew contracts of other players out of contract in the summer?

Steve Gallen was confident that Joe Aribo and Dillon Philips would sign soon, any news?

Comments

• I suspect the new owners will try to extend the contracts by offering more money.

Roland decided the way to do it was to offer less money.
  • edited February 2019

There was talk during the transfer window of key players signing contract extensions when the transfer window was slammed shut.

Do you think Rolands big idea was to use the Karlan tranfer fee to renew contracts of other players out of contract in the summer?

Steve Gallen was confident that Joe Aribo and Dillon Philips would sign soon, any news?

I think the news about contract extensions, was just a PR "good news" story to deflect from the approaching "bad news" stories of Karlan's exit and no in-comings of note.

Bowyer also mentioned subsequently that he had to work within the season budget which was already set in stone, therefore none of the KG money was ever going to be used, but his wages probably covered Parker coming in.

Roland is clearly off-seeting any transfer fees in against the running losses. There are no fees going out nor wage increases (unless they can be found by reducing elsewhere).

Gallen & Bowyer really have had their work cut out an are doing well in the circumstances.
    They won't be able to keep players happy beyond the season end, where the pressure will fall back onto Roalnd and the Aussies must realise this.
  • se9addick said:

Right now, if I was a half decent Charlton player with 5 months to go on my deal and good prospects of a number of clubs being interested in me this summer I would not be signing a contract with Charlton.

Right now the only way I'd re-sign a new Contract at Charlton is if I've got injury problems (Page and Forster-Caskey)

For the others I'd be very worried about any ambition being shown from the club by selling our top scorer and letting it get to the stage where there are only seven other players guaranteed to be here the following season, especially with no guarantee of the League we'll be in next season, of course being a Championshup club will be a sweetner for a few more to sign but as a League One club there will no guarantee that we'll be able to compete at a reasonable level with so few senior players tied down.
  • edited February 2019
    I don't think it's as clear cut as it appears.

Take out the players that won't be offered, or realistically sign new contracts. Marshall, Igor, BFG and Ajose.

Then the ones such as Lapslie, JFC and RHF were it should be reflectively cheap and easy to agree new terms.

Then you have a football choice to make on the likes of Reeves, could you get better value for his wages on another player?

Philips is an issue as I would imagine he would want an assurance of first team football. Can we, in good faith offer that?

Is Fosu worth a long term contact? I assume he would want a pay rise to? If he had signed a new deal in the summer we would of all been pleased, now we would be moaning that he has done sod all since signing it.

The one which is clear cut, even more so than Grant, and completely unforgivable is Aribo.

Of those ten how many would be part of a championship squad? Inversely if they are all so bloody good why are we still in league 1!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Take out the players that won't be offered, or realistically sign new contracts. Marshall, Igor, BFG and Ajose.

Then the ones such as Lapslie, JFC and RHF were it should be reflectively cheap and easy to agree new terms.

Then you have a football choice to make on the likes of Reeves, could you get better value for his wages on another player?

Philips is an issue as I would imagine he would want an assurance of first team football. Can we, in good faith offer that?

Is Fosu worth a long term contact? I assume he would want a pay rise to? If he had signed a new deal in the summer we would of all been pleased, now we would be moaning that he has done sod all since signing it.

The one which is clear cut, even more so than Grant, and completely unforgivable is Aribo.

Of those ten how many would be part of a championship squad? Inversely if they are all so bloody good why are we still in league 1!

I think you ignore that, once you get to under 12 (and now under six) months to go on a players contract the power sits almost entirely with the player. Decisions on players like Reeves, Phillips and Fosu won’t be in Charlton’s hands, even if we do want to keep them.

The time to negotiate a new contract with a player is 18 months before their deal expires, not a couple of months before.
  • se9addick said:

Cafc43v3r said:

I think you ignore that, once you get to under 12 (and now under six) months to go on a players contract the power sits almost entirely with the player. Decisions on players like Reeves, Phillips and Fosu won’t be in Charlton’s hands, even if we do want to keep them.

The time to negotiate a new contract with a player is 18 months before their deal expires, not a couple of months before.
    I don't ignore that at all, I even hinted at it. Why would we have offered Reeves a new contract six months into his career with us when he had done bugger all?

If Fosu was on a 3 year 10k a week contract people would be up in arms about it. But they would have been ecstatic about it 6 months ago.

Like I said the clear cut one is Aribo, the others aren't as black and white.
  • Sponsored links:

• If the club doesn’t get sold and we don’t get these players signed up i genuinely fear for our future, at the very least on a short term basis.
  • I was hoping that some of the players might had signed new contracts, but it had not become public knowledge.

In the ‘good old days’ players signing new contracts was released to cheer the fans up, well we certainly could do with some good news, even if it’s that Bert the bin man has said he’ll carry on emptying the bins at the valley for the next 12 months!

As the old song goes.... give me hope Joanna.
  • Reading the player ratings, just wondered who wanted to give Fosu a long term contract? 
  • Does anyone know who at the club has the longest to run on their contract? It seems like we live year by year. It must be a nightmare for a manager having to re-build each year
  • agim said:
    Does anyone know who at the club has the longest to run on their contract? It seems like we live year by year. It must be a nightmare for a manager having to re-build each year
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84570/updated-squad-list-1-february-2019

Phillips probably.
  • Updated Squad List 1 July 2019

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers 

Dillon Phillips 2021

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020
    Anfernee Dijksteel 2020

Centre Backs

Jason Pearce 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page* 2020

Central Midfielders 

Darren Pratley 2020

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 

Strikers

Lyle Taylor 2020
  • 8 players signed up for next season, if you imagine we can pad the squad out with, say, seven youth team players that’s 15. Probably need to sign/re-sign 10 more to give us a chance. 
  • Updated Squad List 1 July 2019

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers 

Dillon Phillips 2021

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020
    Anfernee Dijksteel 2020

Centre Backs

Jason Pearce 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page* 2020

Central Midfielders 

Darren Pratley 2020

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 

Strikers

Lyle Taylor 2020
    Well, at least we have one player who will still be here beyond summer next year.

Who said the future isn't bright?!  :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Reading the player ratings, just wondered who wanted to give Fosu a long term contract? 
    Of course. A few bad games doesn’t change the fact he was one of our best players last season and there’s clearly a player in there. He just needs to learn the time and the place to take on players
  • edited February 2019
    Purrington is on loan and under contract at Rotherham until July 2020.
  • Tariqe Fosu has been urged to add more end product to his game – especially with his Charlton Athletic contract due to be up in the summer.

The 23-year-old winger is due to be a free agent at the end of June. But Addicks manager Lee Bowyer has confirmed before that they want the Wandsworth-born attacker to stay in SE7.

Bowyer is hopeful of securing George Lapslie and Joe Aribo on new deals. Goalkeeper Dillon Phillips penned an extension until the summer of 2021 last week.

“We’re close with George,” said Bowyer. “We just need his agent to come back to, but we don’t think it’s far away.

“We’re trying to come to an agreement [with Aribo]. I spoke to Joe at the back end of last week and he is saying he wants to sign. So we’re close there, I think.

“I’m guessing it is just down to us sorting things out with his agent, a few little tweaks.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-on-tariqe-fosus-contract-situation-and-why-all-his-attacking-players-need-to-produce-end-product/
  • On the plus side, Dijksteel is a holding midfielder being played as a RB so the midfield isn't quite as empty as it looks. We can actually play a solid back four with two centre mids and a striker. Sturdy. Roland must be delighted to have 8; a match doesn't get abandoned until you go below 7
  • Redhenry said:
    Most of those not good enough for champ

Unfortunately I agree with this .. even mediocre Champ teams like (e.g.) Hull and Rotherham look much bigger, fitter, pacier and better organised than we do .. BUT, let's worry about getting promoted before we get over concerned about the playing personnel when/if we get there 
  • Good to see that Aribo wants to sign, especially as he has the same Agent as Maja

Lapslie I think is a given and also think Fosu would be stupid not to renew based on his current form as at the moment I cant see many clubs better than us that would be interested in him
  • Charlton Athletic are set to make an improved contract offer to Joe Aribo.
    We are going to be going back to Joe either this week or early next week with another offer,” Bowyer told the South London Press. “We’re still working on that.”
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-to-make-improved-contract-offer-to-joe-aribo/

• Good to see that Aribo wants to sign, especially as he has the same Agent as Maja

Where does it say that?
  • Lee Bowyer has revealed that Charlton Athletic are set for contract talks this week with Joe Aribo.
    “We are having a meeting with Joe and his agent later on in the week,” said Bowyer. “So we’ll see how that goes.”
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-for-contract-talks-with-prize-talent-this-week/