Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Declan Rice chooses England

Comments

• Have the rules changed? I believe Mike Flanagan was approached by ROI but couldn’t as he had played 3 games for England B team.
  • DA9 said:
    Born in England, to an English mother, Irish father, lived here all his life, has Irish heritage like a lot of us do, hardly a controversial choice IMO, far more ROI pllayers over the years have more tenuous rights to play for ROI in the past, Christ, under Jack Charlton you only had to drink a pint of the black stuff to qualify.
    Rice is not responsible for the rules, making choices like many did for ROI when Charlton was in charge as they knew they had no chance of an England call up, they wanted to play international football, some had never stepped foot in ROI before. 
    His father isn't Irish, it's his father's parents who were Irish. If they abolished the ridiculous grandparent rule, none of this argument would have happened
    Even less of a controversial choice then, English parents, born in London, lived in London all his life. 
  • Have the rules changed? I believe Mike Flanagan was approached by ROI but couldn’t as he had played 3 games for England B team.
    Yeah I think they changed a few years ago, you are only locked to a nation now if you play a competitve 1st team game, so friendlies do not count
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Born in England, to an English mother, Irish father, lived here all his life, has Irish heritage like a lot of us do, hardly a controversial choice IMO, far more ROI pllayers over the years have more tenuous rights to play for ROI in the past, Christ, under Jack Charlton you only had to drink a pint of the black stuff to qualify.
    Rice is not responsible for the rules, making choices like many did for ROI when Charlton was in charge as they knew they had no chance of an England call up, they wanted to play international football, some had never stepped foot in ROI before. 
    His father isn't Irish, it's his father's parents who were Irish. If they abolished the ridiculous grandparent rule, none of this argument would have happened
    Even less of a controversial choice then, English parents, born in London, lived in London all his life. 
    i dont think it controversial that he want to play for England, i think its shit form playing for Ireland then fucking them off as soon as England come along  
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    i dont think it controversial that he want to play for England, i think its shit form playing for Ireland then fucking them off as soon as England come along  
    If you support the ROI , I get it, you may or may not, I doubt Irish fans were bemoaning the choices made by Mcclean, Duffy & Obafemi.
    it happens, it will happen again, McTominay chose Scotland over England last year, swings and roundabouts 

• DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    If you support the ROI , I get it, you may or may not, I doubt Irish fans were bemoaning the choices made by Mcclean, Duffy & Obafemi.
    it happens, it will happen again, McTominay chose Scotland over England last year, swings and roundabouts 

Did McClean, Duffy and Obafemi have senior caps for other countries?

McTominay didn't play for anyone at any level until he played for the Scotland senior side.

• DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

McTominay didn't play for anyone at any level until he played for the Scotland senior side.

Rice did not play a competitive game for ROI, same as Duffy and McClean for NI, but they did play at youth level before switching, as did Giggs as did Zaha 
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

Rice did not play a competitive game for ROI, same as Duffy and McClean for NI, but they did play at youth level before switching, as did Giggs as did Zaha 
    Giggs?  He played for England schoolboys because of the school he went to.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2019
    He didn’t know what he signed up for when he was under 17s Ireland, he was groomed, surely he can change his mind and have his own peoples vote..
  • Thats happened quicker than expected...
  • MrOneLung said:
    Congratulations Declan - Young Irish Player of the Year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47542669
    Farcical but hilarious  
  • The midfielder will not be in Dublin on Sunday to collect his award.

Probably because he would get lynched haha
  • Haha taking the piss 
  • About to be called up for next 2 Euro qualifiers. 

We we should put him in U21 squad instead - just to piss our Irish friends off a bit more. 
  • edited March 2019
    About to be called up for next 2 Euro qualifiers. 

We we should put him in U21 squad instead - just to piss our Irish friends off a bit more. 
    If that did happen, what’s stopping switching back?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    I've no idea mate - the whole thing is a joke as far as I'm concerned. There is no way that he should have been allowed to switch to England at this stage of his career in my view.
  • Just talking about this and one one the guys reckon that for him to be in this squad the request to FIFA would have to have been made before he announced that he was switching? (Not that it changes anything, he could have made the request and said nothing )
  • Future Ballon d'Or winner. English and proud.
  • I've no idea mate - the whole thing is a joke as far as I'm concerned. There is no way that he should have been allowed to switch to England at this stage of his career in my view.
    To me he should never have been eligible for ROI in the first place, I'd abolish the grandparent rule
  • I've no idea mate - the whole thing is a joke as far as I'm concerned. There is no way that he should have been allowed to switch to England at this stage of his career in my view.
    To me he should never have been eligible for ROI in the first place, I'd abolish the grandparent rule

Different sport but I'm pretty sure Eoin Morgan's maternal grandparents were English. What's good for the goose and all that.

• redsek said:
    I've no idea mate - the whole thing is a joke as far as I'm concerned. There is no way that he should have been allowed to switch to England at this stage of his career in my view.

Different sport but I'm pretty sure Eoin Morgan's maternal grandparents were English. What's good for the goose and all that.

Morgan's mother is English and he has had a British passport since he was born. And he has played in England for a long time too, so even though there's a side of me that feels it's a shame Ireland lost him, his case for playing for England is strong.
  • edited March 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Given up getting the sportsman of the year then.
    Shay  has retired.
  • Represented Ireland already should not be allowed to now represent England - simple as that