Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic Fan perception of club management questionnaire

Hello, My name is Callum I am in my final year of my Sports Business Management (BA hons) I have decided to focus on 'An Evaluation of Fan Perception of the Management of Charlton Athletic Football Club' for my dissertation project. Bellow is a link to a short questionnaire where you can offer your opinions on Club matters as a fan. Any questions involving anonymity or requests to view an information sheets for participation message me directly or contact via email at callum10turner@gmail.com 

Comments

• By management, do you mean owner and non-existent CEO or do you mean manager and coaching staff?
  • Needed a "boycotting" option for the wyestion about attending games.
  • Good choice of topic! 
  • I am attempting to look at the the club holistically, although the first team are a large aspect of the club they are a component of what makes up a club. I haven't made particular reference to our non-existent CEO as recommended by my dissertation supervisor as to avoid a complete character assassination, however I am focusing on decisions and changes that are made by the CEO in Professional football and one would assume our football club.  I do not make reference to the first team in a negative light at any point throughout my research as regardless of bias the job done by Lee Bowyer is statistically impressive. 
  • Done. Good luck with the dissertation.
  • Done.  For those interested only 10 questions...
  • stonemuse said:By management, do you mean owner and non-existent CEO or do you mean manager and coaching staff?
    Sorry I responded in the chat, not to your message. I am new to this forum 

• Sponsored links:

• I'll give this a go but i warn you i have had a couple of pints at lunch.
  • edited February 2019
    Are you OB? (Just checking, I've learnt the hard way)  :'(
    edited. Done
  • Done. Horrible to realise that I've just moved up an age bracket!
  • cal0305 said:
    Hello, My name is Callum I am in my final year of my Sports Business Management (BA hons) I have decided to focus on 'An Evaluation of Fan Perception of the Management of Charlton Athletic Football Club' for my dissertation project. Bellow is a link to a short questionnaire where you can offer your opinions on Club matters as a fan. Any questions involving anonymity or requests to view an information sheets for participation message me directly or contact via email at callum10turner@gmail.com 
    Just a thought, but as you are asking for help to get your qualification, personally I would have said please rather than assumed. But then I am miserable old git. 

Good luck.
  • Hi I just did it but cocked up quedtion 6 it was supposed to be strongly agree. Also by the way the question about attendance was not applicable to me as an overseas fan. As you know football fandom is not determined by geography anymore so not sure if it is too late to add a ‘not applicable’ or ‘overseas fan’ or some such
  • Completed it but if it's for your disitation then I don't hold out much hope. The last 5 questions are fairly meaningless & the statements not very clear or put together that well........but I expect you've enjoyed the last 3 years getting drunk every other day & only going to lectures in the afternoon. You'll get a shock when you join the real world of work. 

• I agree, there is no ‘Can you estimate the amount of time and money you and your family have spent on protest actions rather than with the club in the last four years?’

Not really no. I try not to think about it. Just sell the club and wander off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• good and concise little survey .. most questions obviously relate more to the ownership of the club, although those relating to (e.g.) team selection, need a judgment on the team management .. good luck on the rest of your course
  • Stig said:
    I've completed this, Callum. Obviously it's hard to know where your driving this study, but if I'm being honest I didn't feel that your questions got to the heart of my relationship with the club. I've answered ten questions, but from that you don't know that I am actively boycotting home games and only attending selected away games. Nor do you really know why that is. There's some hint that it might be something to do with communications and it might be something to do with finance. Whilst that is partially true, if you concluded that those were the reasons for my dissatisfaction, you actually be reporting more about the categories you've chosen than about what this particular fan actually thinks. There's no place to record the deeper held concerns that the current ownership are untrustworthy, that 'they' have no idea about football and that I believe 'they' will destroy our club if they continue along the current route. There's nothing about how my perceptions may have changed over time or what specifically might have altered them. Finally there was no opportunity for you to gather anecdotal evidence giving specific actions of management (or lack of it) and how they affect fan perceptions. Though maybe I'm just disappointed I didn't get the chance to go off on a rant.

I know that you gave an email address so that people could give more information, but I suspect I'm not the only one that would be discouraged from using this through not wanting to disclose my own email address to a stranger.

Anyway, good luck with your dissertation - feel free to use any, or all, of the above in your critique section :wink:

Really good advice Callum. As I'm sure your supervisor has told you, looking critically at your own research gains good marks. Having chosen a 'questionnaire' you could compare this method to a qualitative one - eg the material got from Stig's comments (and any of those who send you emails).

I hope you are taking no notice of golfie's comments. Your dissertation is only a small part of your overall degree, not the whole thing. I'm sure you know that you're not expected to produce a PhD amount! You've only got a limited amount of time to do it in. No-one produces a perfect piece of research at any level, that's why the critique section is an important one. We're also only seeing the questionnaire, rather than the whole thing too. One thing that I guess you will be looking at is your own 'bias' on the research. I suspect you have views on Charlton's management! It's probable that someone who knew nothing about Charlton would ask different questions. But, as Stig says, good stuff for the critique section. Good luck :)

• Thank you for all your responses, pretty much all of which have been either encouraging or constructive. Very much appreciative that you've all taken time out of your day to help me with my 'disitation' ;) 
  • Smudge and Golfie being... Smudge and Golfie.

Sad.
    You’ve gotta love golfie - would defo let him sort out my next mortgage and entrust him with my life savings. Or I’d get a chimp to do it instead- same difference.
  • Others that I've dealt with on here would disagree.....but hey-ho. 

Yes, I might have been a bit harsh on the young lad & my phone failed when typing "dissertation" but as @Stig more eloquently put it, the 10 questions do not really ask anything really meaningful & are actually hard to work out what is being asked. 

But then again, I don't suppose he's qualifying to be a doctor of something worthy of a degree.
  • You can get degres in Charlton Athletic now? 

Does that also mean that learning to spel is part of the study?