Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Declan Rice chooses England

Statement from Declan Rice.

Comments

• TBH glad he has done, he had looked good for West Ham and at 20 think he could be a great England Midfilder in the future
  • what a prick, if i was Irish i wouldn't have wanted him from the second he had to think about it.

hope he gets 20mins for England and never plays for them again.
    Born and raised in London tho.

Just because his parents were Irish he could play for them, IMO thats wrong he was born in England so he plays for England IMO, and I dont see why it makes him a prick
  • He's looked very good recently. Delph's WC position in the squad of tackling midfielder who can keep the ball moving needs filling so there's scope for him to play. Dier hasn't exactly looked hot this season when he's played so this is probably Rice's best chance to play for England.
  • Another bang average footballer. Will move to a bigger club in the next couple of years, do fuck all then end up back at Ham 
  • what a prick, if i was Irish i wouldn't have wanted him from the second he had to think about it.

Just because his parents were Irish he could play for them, IMO thats wrong he was born in England so he plays for England IMO, and I dont see why it makes him a prick

• Sponsored links:

• don't like the way people play the system, James McLean done similar as used the northern irish set up for youth and then switched to the republic, all v strange, i would qaulify for roi, scotland and england on ancestral, yet to stand and sing eithers national anthem would seem a bit strange, have never really got it. 
  • edited February 2019
    I’ve not got an issue with him choosing between countries (via heritage....NOT  residency) - but the cut off point should be a lot further back in terms of the national structure. 

Im not sure where the line should be drawn (and I don’t think that competitive games should be treated differently to friendlies- but it is is ridiculous that he can switch after playing 3 games for the senior squad. 
  • I’ve not got an issue with him choosing between countries (via heritage....NOT  residency) - but the cut off point should be a lot further back in terms of the national structure. 

Im not sure where the line should be drawn (and I don’t think that competitive games should be treated differently to friendlies- but it is is ridiculous that he can switch after playing 3 games for the senior squad. 
    where i do think its unfair is that in playing for the roi youth set up he has likely had all his flights paid for by there fa, coaching and potentially kept an irish player out of the sqaud, we have probably one of the richest fa's in europe, i dont rate him that highly tbh
  • edited February 2019
    Smells of Jack Grealish all over again.

When did this picking a nationality become a thing?
  • wise choice Declan .. and Southgate should have him in the next squad .. a better choice than Dier right now
  • Don’t see much wrong with it on his part. Rules are a bit stupid though. 
  • edited February 2019
    Ross said:
    Smells of Jack Grealish all over again.

When did this picking a nationality become a thing?
    If Ireland were about to pick him for a game that would then commit him to them rather than England, he had to 'declare' one way or another.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2019
    what a prick, if i was Irish i wouldn't have wanted him from the second he had to think about it.

I get that but put yourself in his shoes.

He is a young english lad and is told he isnt gold enough for England, but he wants to play international football and he qualifies for Ireland via his parents.

Then a few years later England the country of his birth turn around and say look we made a mistake we want u to play for us, why wouldnt he switch if he still can.

Now if he was born in Ireland and qualified for England via his parents its a different matter IMO, but he was born in London and has spent his whole life in England 
    Nah sorry I get where your coming from but its your parentage for me that defines where you come from - Else on that basis I'm eligible to play for India | England | Ireland

i.e. being born in a stable does not make a man a horse.

Fair enough he can play for both Ireland and England yet once you make your decision then for me thats it and hold Diego Costa and Aymeric Laporte in the same regard
  • So he’s happy to play for and progress through Ireland’s teams for 4 years and as soon as he gets a sniff at an England place he jumps ship? Even as an England fan, I think calling him a prick is mild.
    To be fair, the Republic of Ireland is made up of a lot of players who played for Northern Ireland at youth level and switched allegiance. Don’t think Irish football fans can feel too cheated.
  • Thank God, I have not been able to sleep for weeks for worrying about this.

He is a young english lad and is told he isnt gold enough for England, but he wants to play international football and he qualifies for Ireland via his parents.

Then a few years later England the country of his birth turn around and say look we made a mistake we want u to play for us, why wouldnt he switch if he still can.

Now if he was born in Ireland and qualified for England via his parents its a different matter IMO, but he was born in London and has spent his whole life in England 
    Nah sorry I get where your coming from but its your parentage for me that defines where you come from - Else on that basis I'm eligible to play for India | England | Ireland

Fair enough he can play for both Ireland and England yet once you make your decision then for me thats it and hold Diego Costa and Aymeric Laporte in the same regard
    So what is your nationality if you were born in England to parents born in Wales, whose parents were born in Scotland, and their parents were born in Ireland etc? :)
  • It's not his parents anyway, it's his grandparents on one side, so he's basically English

I hate the way nations fight over players, especially ones brought up in another country, if you can't produce your own find players with parents or even grandparents from your country. Wales in recent years have captured a number of young players born in England, who are basically English.

England in football are usually the country losing out, though to be fair in other sports like cricket the boot is on the other foot, with all the Saffers who've played for England, Morgan who's Irish and Archer who could/should be playing for the Windies.
  • Scoham said:
    what a prick, if i was Irish i wouldn't have wanted him from the second he had to think about it.

So what is your nationality if you were born in England to parents born in Wales, whose parents were born in Scotland, and their parents were born in Ireland etc? :)
    First of all you look back through your family tree to find which Grandfather was playing away from home too often
  • It’s not an easy decision to make.

I will be making my debut for Jamaica next week.
  • Is he all that?

i know he’s had a good start this season , but  a West Ham fan I know reckons Rice is worth 75 million, turned down a move to a top 4 club, and is miles better than Joe Gomez!