Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thoughts on Grigg

After what you saw tonight.

Would fit into Robinson's one up top formation?
Would be an improvement to Magennis or wouldn't swap them?

Comments

• He's a perfect fit for Wigan. Pulled our centre backs out and drew them into committing, which gave Powell - a very dangerous player - plenty of freedom. A good foil. Against the lesser centre backs he'll get more chances and goals - and against better ones, like ours, he'll give their system room to express themselves by occupying those CBs with good movement.

I'd love to have him up top. I think him and Magennis would change the way we focus our attacks, and give us two great options in how to build an attack. They would serve different roles and thus necessitate a different system, but with the same players behind them. For instance, Reeves/Clarke behind Grigg would have more freedom to create, while behind Magennis, they would have an extra attacking focal point to gear towards.
  • Would prefer Bryne the 8, or Powell but we was ok
  • Thought he looked alright but there are other players of theirs I'd have preferred. Byrne for a start looked v good.
  • Keep in mind this was, I believe, his first league start in like 6 months.

Yes, he would be a very good signing. His movement caused us a lot of problems.

Wasn't Evans 8 and Byrne 2? Would agree that those two were impressive. Also Morsy 5 and Jacobs 17 were very good.
  • Well, he's a senior striker so I'd take him. Having not realised who he was until he was taken off... I didn't notice him being particularly good/bad to be honest. Would agree Powell looked better.
  • Grig did nothing . Powell was outstanding though.
  • Grigg obviously did a job for his team tonight, but Powell was the class player out there
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be tough to play him and Josh at the same time as Robinson will only play one formation (unless things are going drastically wrong) and we couldn't afford for either to be an off the bench player.
  • People are right about Powell - but I only think he looked as good as he did because of Grigg's movement and interaction with our centre backs.
  • se9addick said:

It would be tough to play him and Josh at the same time as Robinson will only play one formation (unless things are going drastically wrong) and we couldn't afford for either to be an off the bench player.

Why not? Competition for places is healthy. I don't like having just Josh virtually guaranteed to play with the back-up players falling some way short of the quality we need if we want to mount a promotion challenge.
  • Swisdom said:

17 Jacobs was excellent

He was. But also a whinging twat. Didn't stop crying at the ref all game.
  • PaddyP17 said:

People are right about Powell - but I only think he looked as good as he did because of Grigg's movement and interaction with our centre backs.

Not sure who was meant to pick up Powell, was it the CBs or the midfielders?
  • Davo55 said:

se9addick said:

It would be tough to play him and Josh at the same time as Robinson will only play one formation (unless things are going drastically wrong) and we couldn't afford for either to be an off the bench player.

Why not? Competition for places is healthy. I don't like having just Josh virtually guaranteed to play with the back-up players falling some way short of the quality we need if we want to mount a promotion challenge.
    Mate I'd have him, I just don't think there's any point whilst Robinson is manager as he'll be on decent money and the stipulation that we have to play 4-2-3-1 means he would hardly ever get a game whilst Josh is on the pitch.
  • I Might well be incorrect, but I thought Grigg had recently signed a new contract with Wigan when the transfer window closed?
  • I Might well be incorrect, but I thought Grigg had recently signed a new contract with Wigan when the transfer window closed?

yes he has
  • We ain't that good to turn players down, we've come up against a genuine promotion rival and been bent over.
  • Would sign him straight away if we had the chance
  • Sponsored links:

• Gotta remember that this is the Nick Powell who played for Man Utd a few times and was signed by Ferguson

Sadly a combination of bad attitude and injuries ruined his chances at Old Trafford yet like others at this level, they clearly shouldn't be playing this low in the first place

Wasn't Evans 8 and Byrne 2? Would agree that those two were impressive. Also Morsy 5 and Jacobs 17 were very good.

Would prefer Bryne the 8, or Powell but we was ok

It was Burn who played well.

I think he means he would take all three of Byrne, the number 8 and Powell.
  • se9addick said:

Don't go til they're gone but avidly follow reports and yet to see a suggestion that we have played anything other than usual 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. Where please? Certainly not 3-5-2 which was the obvious change last night.
  • I'm told the vegan 'sausage rolls' smell bad and taste worse
  • Will Grigg certainly wasn't on fire last night. :o 

Oh dear :-:smile:
  • tbh i would rather have parker than will grigg
  • Will Grigg certainly wasn't on fire last night. :o 

Going off on a tangent here, but those kits are a bit too similar no?
  • Totally agree - Sky showed a bit of Millwall v Sheff Wed last night and the colour clash was even worse. I thought that these were a thing of the past.