Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Waste Of Space Commonly Known As "A Draw"

It's only a one point. Nothing more nothing less. 

Take Sunderland, for example. They have lost just 2 games all season but drawn 13. They are unbeaten in 9 league games but only won 3 in that time, a period in which they have scored once in each and every game. 

Spurs have lost 23% of their games but have taken an average of 2.31 points per game and yet Sunderland have lost less than 7% of their matches but only average 1.93 points per game. The reason - Spurs have actually lost 6 times this season but have yet to draw. Equally, Luton have lost twice as many games as Sunderland and yet are 10 points clear of them.

Sunderland are going to make the play offs come what may but, at this rate, aren't going to catch the likes of Luton or Barnsley - even if they stay unbeaten for the rest of the season. So why aren't they going for it? If need be, they should be playing "rush goalie" in the last 20 minutes!

So how does this come about? Could it just be that managers like draws because it extends an unbeaten run and notionally strengthens their position - so they set teams up not to lose as opposed to win? Have they not grasped the "win one/lose one" is worth more than draw two? Are we, as fans, at fault too for not being able to see the bigger picture by valuing the "we musn't lose" feeling over the risk/reward of going for a win?

There is only one justification for a draw in my opinion - if you are top and playing your nearest rival and it stops them from closing the gap. And even then I'm not totally convinced because that attitude, in itself, invites pressure.

Comments

• Someone has leaked Katrien's PowerPoint presentation to the Premier League
  • A point for a draw has always got under my skin.
    It should be 3 points for a win and none for a loss or draw.
    Or if you have to have a point, 5 points for a win and 1 for a draw.
    That will stop the buggers who play for a draw.
    I should be in charge, I really should!
  • Greenie said:
    A point for a draw has always got under my skin.
    I should be locked up, I really should!
    Fixed for you.  ;)
  • edited February 2019
    I honestly dont dislike the way draws are decided in the Football League Trophy but think that a win should be increased to four or five points because if you left it at three points then two penalty shootout wins will leave you on the same number of points as a team who'd won normally once and lost a penalty shootout once

I just think the rest of competition is a bit rubbish
  • Greenie said:
    the perfect result to a football game is 0–0. That is because it is an expression of the balance between the attacks and defences out on the field”

Annibale Frossi
  • se9addick said:
    Greenie said:
    the perfect result to a football game is 0–0. That is because it is an expression of the balance between the attacks and defences out on the field”

Katrien Meire

• 4 points for a win, 2 points for a score draw and 1 point for a 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• two points for a win, one for a draw.

"Old Skool" as the youth say.
  • 10 points for a win, a dry slap for anything else.  :|
  • se9addick said:
    Greenie said:
    “the perfect result to a football game is 0–0. That is because it is an expression of the balance between the attacks and defences out on the field”

Annibale Frossi
    Perfect for a defence to concede nothing. Not sure it's perfect for the attack to score nothing.
    The perfect result of course is to nick an away win with a highly disputed goal decision in the dying seconds. Preferably at the Den.
  • I remember 35 years ago Jimmy Hill advocating more points for more goals you score. Usual 3 points if you win, but a bonus point if you score 3 goals...2 bonus points if you score 4, and so on. 

We would be fooked though as we dont score that many. Luton & Barnsley would be storming this league.
  • Just after WW2 draws in the newly created Scottish League Cup were decided by the number of corners.

• I remember 35 years ago Jimmy Hill advocating more points for more goals you score. Usual 3 points if you win, but a bonus point if you score 3 goals...2 bonus points if you score 4, and so on. 

We would be fooked though as we dont score that many. Luton & Barnsley would be storming this league.
    Such systems do corrupt the purity of the points table though, and while it should be more entertaining to watch should a team winning 3-2 really pick up more points than one winning 2-0?
  • Tell a struggling team that manages to get a point from a visit to the team at the top that their efforts were a waste of time .. see how you get on.
     A hard fought draw is a better game to watch then a 4/5/6/ nil win, unless it's your team doing the landslide winning of course
  • se9addick said:
    Greenie said:

Annibale Frossi

Wouldn't want to watch any games he's involved in.