Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop security. Help please

Morning all. I think this has been covered before but I can’t find it. Our security deals on our domestic laptops have all come to a recent end. Mrs SB has three years worth of McAfee and I had similar of Norton.  Both are now looking for a hefty sum to continue. Should I stump up or is there a perfectly adequate freebie out there that will do the job?  Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• No point paying. Used free Avast for years with no problems. 
  • I've had Avast for years on different devices with no problems.
  • Cheers guys. I’ll investigate avast. 
  •  looking at avast, there are 3 options. The basis virus protector is free, the other two cost the same as the commercial options. For a technophobe like me, do I need any more than the free option offers?
  •  looking at avast, there are 3 options. The basis virus protector is free, the other two cost the same as the commercial options. For a technophobe like me, do I need any more than the free option offers?

Not for a normal use home laptop, no. 
  • And last thicky question. I’m guessing that I should uninstall mcafee after installing avast?
  • The free one is adequate enough, so you won't need any others after you uninstall Mcafee.
  • And last thicky question. I’m guessing that I should uninstall mcafee after installing avast?
    Yes, though I've always done it before. Some antivirus' don't like it when others are installed, they get a bit touchy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    And last thicky question. I’m guessing that I should uninstall mcafee after installing avast?
    Yes, though I've always done it before. Some antivirus' don't like it when others are installed, they get a bit touchy.
    Mission accomplished. Thanks all for advice. Avast duly installed and mcaffee is no more. 
  • Avast .. ye land lubbers
  • Just in case you don't "get on" with Avast, Kaspersky (free) is another very good option
  • Cheers Bob. I’ll bear it in mind. 
  • Anyone on Mac looking for an antivirus production, I'd recommend Avira. It's free and definitely does the job.
  • I use bitdefender which is pretty good. Good deals on ebay.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Anyone on Mac looking for an antivirus production, I'd recommend Avira. It's free and definitely does the job.
    is AV now recommended on a mac?
  • edited February 2019
    rina said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Anyone on Mac looking for an antivirus production, I'd recommend Avira. It's free and definitely does the job.
    is AV now recommended on a mac?
    Yes. Sophos offer a good free home product as well.