Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Saturday 4th September 1982

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
 That was my 17th Birthday. 
  Reading Michael Palin's 2nd volume of his diaries it all kicked off that day where he was, CAFC v Sheffield Wednesday.

I was not there! I got extremely pissed in The Crossways that night on Courage Best. 

Memories? @Tavern @buckshee @SoundAsa£  @Goonerhater @DA9 and others?

Comments

• I can’t be 100% sure @Riviera but that scarily could have been the day I met my first wife. If only I had been in The Crossways.
  • edited February 2019
    Riviera said:
      Reading Michael Palin's 2nd volume of his diaries it all kicked off that day where he was,  Sheffield Wednesday v CAFC.

I was not there! I got extremely pissed in The Crossways that night on Courage Best. 

A busy day for Covered Enders!
    Wednesday were down in numbers and some got in the Covered End early but were soon evicted. At half time they tried again via the back of the west stand but the gate was swiftly closed leading to missiles being exchanged over the wire fence.
    My cousin was arrested at this point and taken away to spend the night in Greenwich nick*
    After the game was busy again at the top of Floyd road.

*My cousin told his parents he'd spent the night at mine but the Mercury printed a list the following Thursday of all those arrested. His mum spotted it.

Or all of the above could have been in the 70's.  
    @Blackpool72 ?
  • DA9DA9
    edited February 2019
    Wasn’t there chaps, my legendary terrace dominance did not start for another couple of years,

smiley winky thing 

though others on here have told me about it, also I think in the A-Z book by Andy Nichols (Everton), which I and some others contributed to, someone has written about it 

• edited February 2019
    Riviera said:
      Reading Michael Palin's 2nd volume of his diaries it all kicked off that day where he was,  Sheffield Wednesday v CAFC.

That was my 26th birthday. From memory a couple of weeks after the opening of the Jimmy Seed Stand?
  • edited February 2019

Just looked this one up for you;

Lost 0-3.

Charlton; Johns, McAllister, Ferns, Mehmet, Elliott, Phillips, Harris, Bullivant, White, Hales, Walker, Sub; Landsdowne (not used)

Sheff Wed; Bolder, Shirtliff, Bailey, Smith, Lyons, Shelton, Megson, Taylor, Bannister, Mirocevic, Pearson Sub; McCulloch (not used)

Goals; Taylor 44, Bannister 70 pen for foul by Phillips, Pearson 81

Att; 8,327

• Riviera said:

Wednesday were down in numbers and some got in the Covered End early but were soon evicted. At half time they tried again via the back of the west stand but the gate was swiftly closed leading to missiles being exchanged over the wire fence.
    My cousin was arrested at this point and taken away to spend the night in Greenwich nick*

*My cousin told his parents he'd spent the night at mine but the Mercury printed a list the following Thursday of all those arrested. His mum spotted it.

@Blackpool72 ?
    The games against Sheffield Wednesday were always interesting back in the 70s including a few scary moment's in the Watermans Arms. 
    The game in82 as well.
    A tad more civilised now.
  • My 17th birthday was exactly a week later (11th). Can’t remember being at this game though.
  • 3 Wednesday players in that team who later went on to play for us (assuming it wasn’t a John Pearson who played).
    I always thought Lawrie Madden played against us in that game but clearly not.
  • Riviera said:

@Blackpool72 ?
    The games against Sheffield Wednesday were always interesting back in the 70s including a few scary moment's in the Watermans Arms. 
    The game in82 as well.
    A tad more civilised now.
    Apart from the fa cup away game in 2014 I think
  • I was there. Not to be confused with the 70's game when they took the Covered End properly early.