Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Southend - Match thread

Afternoon everyone, welcome to your Saturday match thread. 

Big game for the Addicks today, who is going to get the necessary goals needed to secure a win?

its a sunny 11 degrees in SE London today, though very very windy.

team news as it comes

come on you addicks!!!

Comments

• As I put on another thread, lets not forget Lee Bowyer today and remember Powell wants us to lose
  • A 1-0 win will do it for me.  I hope we put in more shots today and hope the wind takes one in.  
  • Igor upfront on his own
  • As I put on another thread, lets not forget Lee Bowyer today and remember Powell wants us to lose
    SCP never wants Charlton to lose. 
  • A change of formation perhaps? Reckon it's either a 4411 with Williams just behind Vetokele or a 433 with Marshall and Fosu either side of Vetokele
  • 451. But with 2 wide men in Fosu and Marshall. And Williams/Reeves will probably play high up the pitch. 

First time Bow has used wingers?
  • Igor upfront on his own
    Hopefully not
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    A change of formation perhaps? Reckon it's either a 4411 with Williams just behind Vetokele or a 433 with Marshall and Fosu either side of Vetokele
    With the inclusion of marshall and fosu who play wings either side respectively would it not make more sense to be a 4-3-3 or the dreaded 4-2-3-1
  • LTKapal said:
    sam3110 said:
    A change of formation perhaps? Reckon it's either a 4411 with Williams just behind Vetokele or a 433 with Marshall and Fosu either side of Vetokele
    With the inclusion of marshall and fosu who play wings either side respectively would it not make more sense to be a 4-3-3 or the dreaded 4-2-3-1
    4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 is pretty much the same thing
  • Sage said:
    Phillips
    Solly Bielik Sarr Purrington
    Cullen
    Reeves Williams
    Marshall Vetokele Fosu
    Quite like the look of that team! 
  • Interesting. Marshall and Fosu bring some pace back into the team, which I like. Igor needs crosses too. 

Centre of midfield looks lightweight though. A lot of defensive responsibility on Cullen. I do hope we’re not rushing Igor back - we all know what damage that has done to him in the past. 

Not sure what this says about Parker. Doesn’t suggest Bowyer has been overly impressed in training. 
  • edited February 2019
    Sage said:
    Phillips
    Solly Bielik Sarr Purrington
    Cullen
    Reeves Williams
    Marshall Vetokele Fosu
    Push Bielik and Sarr forward either side of Cullen and you have the old W formation and the wheel has just been reinvented 😝.
  • Huge game today. Come on Charlton 
  • edited February 2019
    Marshall’s up front, so I assume it’s a diamond midfield

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1094235816182902784?s=21

Richard Cawley:

So, #cafc start with Mark Marshall and Igor Vetokele up top. Don't think many would have predicted that... 

• good to see Fosu (presumably) playing down the middle .. be interesting to see how he fits in with Vetokele .. no Parker ? .. bit concerned about our small midfielders .. hope that the wind or the SUFC midfielders do not blow them away
  • Scoham said:
    Marshall’s up front, so I assume it’s a diamond midfield

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1094235816182902784?s=21

Richard Cawley:

So, #cafc start with Mark Marshall and Igor Vetokele up top. Don't think many would have predicted that... 

I'd go as far as saying nobody on CL predicted that 😯.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Marshall is up front, that really is a vote of no confidence in Parker. Has Marshall ever played there before? Will be interesting to see how that works, it doesn’t strike me as an easy switch for him. 

A diamond will better suit the midfield personnel though. It’d be to attacking to setup as a 3, Lapslie or Pratley should’ve started for one of Williams or Reeves if that is the plan. 
  • If Marshall is up front, that really is a vote of no confidence in Parker. Has Marshall ever played there before? Will be interesting to see how that works, it doesn’t strike me as an easy switch for him. 

A diamond will better suit the midfield personnel though. It’d be to attacking to setup as a 3, Lapslie or Pratley should’ve started for one of Williams or Reeves if that is the plan. 
    A vote of no confidence or just giving him more time to settle in?
  • Reeves has gotten some stick recently (mostly as a result of one miskick) and so this is a big chance for him to regain some favour
  • Trundling along at 2mph to the black wall tunnel ive already got the hump and got the ikea traffic to hit yet or is this it 3 miles out 
    like the look of that team , fancy a few goals at either end today 4-2 to us 
  • edited February 2019
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy9-xdnWkAIUvHL.jpg

Sorry, Having trouble posting as an image with the new system. HELP

• Scoham said:
    If Marshall is up front, that really is a vote of no confidence in Parker. Has Marshall ever played there before? Will be interesting to see how that works, it doesn’t strike me as an easy switch for him. 

A vote of no confidence or just giving him more time to settle in?
    Under normal circumstances that’d be logical but we’re in the midst of a striker crisis. How much time does he need? He won’t have even moved house to come to Charlton. It’s not like we’re asking him to change occupation or anything. He’s been left on the bench in favour of a player we have chosen to risk bring back from injury quicker than the club originally suggested, despite him having a history of quickly breaking down again after injuries, and a player who, to my knowledge, has never played up front before.

it seems a strange move to me. I hope it works but it’s a gamble and I doubt Parker is exactly delighted about it. 

Maybe he he has a knock. 
  • Trundling along at 2mph to the black wall tunnel ive already got the hump and got the ikea traffic to hit yet or is this it 3 miles out 
    like the look of that team , fancy a few goals at either end today 4-2 to us 
    It was smooth running for me after tunnel, about 25 mins ago 
  • edited February 2019

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!