Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer & Jackson only 4 months left on contracts

“As it stands, me and Jacko are out of contract in June – that’s a fact,” Bowyer told the South London Press. “But my job is to tie down players for this football club, that comes first.

“Whatever will happen to me, will happen to me.

“Before I had been on a rolling deal. So it is a different conversation between myself and the owner.

“The fans seem to be happy with what they are watching and hopefully that carries on. We have got a long way to go – 15 games. Who knows where that is going to take us come the end of the season?

“I’m sure something will get sorted out somewhere along the line, hopefully sooner rather than later – so we know where we stand.”

Bowyer is confident that goalkeeper Dillon Phillips and midfielder George Lapslie will pen contract extensions.

“Dillon is very, very close,” he said. “It could happen any time now.

“I spoke to Steve Gallen last night [Wednesday] and he said it was near enough done.

“I think that’s going to happen.

“George Lapslie, that’s close as well.

“Joe Aribo, we’re going to pick that up again and try and get that one done soon. Once we get Dillon and George done, hopefully Joe will follow.”

Bowyer is still hoping to bring in a free agent striker to give Charlton the firepower needed to maintain their promotion push.
One name in the frame is former Wolves striker Joe Mason.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-heading-into-finals-months-of-his-valley-deal-and-so-is-assistant-johnnie-jackson/

Comments

• Couldn’t make it up ☹️
  • Bowyer and Jacko will sign no problem

I'd be more worried about the squad

• Oh goody, something else to worry about.
    It would probably suit Bowyer as he can take stock at the year end, see what the prospects are and Im sure he will be inundated with offers.
  • Interesting how it’s gone from Page, Lapslie, Phillips, Aribo, Fosu and a couple others but no mention of Fosu recently at all.

Let’s hope this all gets sorted soon, but it is something I can see being sorted at the end of the season, by which point can have a huge impact on whether we go up or not as naturally players and staff are human and will be worried about their future.

It’s a shambles and so depressing. Roland needs to go as soon as so we can rebuild and sort all of this mess out. 
  • Waiting for Brexit to be sorted.
  • Bowyer and Jacko will sign no problem

I'd be more worried about the squad

Sign what though?
  • Sponsored links:

• when Leeds bottle promotion Bowyer will be off to Elland Road, Jason Euell will be offered the Job (not sure if he would take it under RD though) 
  • Goodbye Joe Aribo
  • Phillips is mad if he signs a new contract 
  • when Leeds bottle promotion Bowyer will be off to Elland Road, Jason Euell will be offered the Job (not sure if he would take it under RD though) 

God forbid but it’s not beyond possibility, but I think Jacko would be next in line to be honest. 
  • se9addick said:
    Phillips is mad if he signs a new contract 
    Why? He is our number 1 at the moment. Do you think there is a bigger club than us likely to sign him?
  • Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:
    Why? He is our number 1 at the moment. Do you think there is a bigger club than us likely to sign him?
    Bigger? Not sure. Better run, yes, absolutely. 

Phillips history at Charlton has been mainly sitting on the bench watching other goalkeepers play, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was his future too (I doubt Preston sent Maxwell here to do nothing). He’s 23 and made about 40 appearances in his five years with us. If I were him I’d see my contract out and move on to a place that didn’t resemble a lunatic asylum. 
  • se9addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:

Phillips history at Charlton has been mainly sitting on the bench watching other goalkeepers play, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was his future too (I doubt Preston sent Maxwell here to do nothing). He’s 23 and made about 40 appearances in his five years with us. If I were him I’d see my contract out and move on to a place that didn’t resemble a lunatic asylum. 
    Disagree with you.
    If Phillips is offered a contract of say 18 months to 24 months on decent League 1 wages he would be mad not to accept.

As many as 99% ex academy players at 16 aren't full time professional at 24. Lyle Taylor said he thought the drop out rate was 99.5 from 16 year olds last night( he said half per cent so I did the maths !)
  • Amazes me just how much our owner has his finger on the pulse.

Since he took us on, I can't think of one issue that has ever escalated out of control or just been left to fester.

Laughable if it wasn't so sad.

• Wish people would stop stirring up trouble and just get behind the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:
    Wish people would stop stirring up trouble and just get behind the team.

Not sure it's fair to say people are "stirring up trouble" they are merely reacting to Bowyer's statements. No-one can be settled in their job while the mad Belgian is in charge. If another club came in for our players - or management team - I wouldn't be surprised if they walked.

I think many Lifers are looking to the near future with deep concern as they have every right to. If we fail to go up we will lose players, and they will be our best players and next season will be one of turmoil and a relegation fight. Douchebag MUST sell at some stage, it's just a matter of when and will it be too late?

By all means enjoy the football we are (mostly) playing but let's not blind ourselves to what may lie ahead.

Post of the week. Spot on. 
  • se9addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:

Disagree with you.
    If Phillips is offered a contract of say 18 months to 24 months on decent League 1 wages he would be mad not to accept.

As many as 99% ex academy players at 16 aren't full time professional at 24. Lyle Taylor said he thought the drop out rate was 99.5 from 16 year olds last night( he said half per cent so I did the maths !)
    Unless Dillon got a Championship offer, we're far more attractive than just about all the other L1 options, especially as he's now playing

I think people over estimate the effects the off the field stuff have on the players anyway
  • se9addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:

Disagree with you.

Are we talking about the same player? Phillips is about 23 or 24.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:

Disagree with you.

Are we talking about the same player? Phillips is about 23 or 24.
    Yeah and if he doesn't get another contract here he could well end up in L2 or below. He's good yes but I've seen nothing to suggest that championship teams will be fighting each other for him, not yet at least. He's done well in L1 for half a season so far.
  • I don't think Fosu will be offered a new contract under Bowyer, he doesn't rate him. Bowyer firmly believes he'll get us promoted so he'll have one eye on who would be in his squad in the championship when it comes to new contracts.

If the mad man still owns us next year and we don't get promoted Jacko will be Manager. At best Bowyer will get offered a 12 month contract, but he'll get better offers elsewhere. He's shown his pedigree as a young manager and a championship club will snap him up is my belief.

To be fair any new owner may well have their own ideas on the manager they want anyway.

• Rob7Lee said:

I don't think Fosu will be offered a new contract under Bowyer, he doesn't rate him. Bowyer firmly believes he'll get us promoted so he'll have one eye on who would be in his squad in the championship when it comes to new contracts.

If the mad man still owns us next year and we don't get promoted Jacko will be Manager. At best Bowyer will get offered a 12 month contract, but he'll get better offers elsewhere. He's shown his pedigree as a young manager and a championship club will snap him up is my belief.

To be fair any new owner may well have their own ideas on the manager they want anyway.

i think it has more to do with fosu making it quite clear he doesnt want to stay from what i have heard.